Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,186 members, 7,867,443 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:13 PM

Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ (1664 Views)

Tompolo's War Ship Causes Stir - Vanguard / Osinbajo Is My Problem -Jonathan Cries Out In Secret Meeting / The Cries Of A Fed Up Lagosian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by sonyvaio(f): 12:09am On May 09, 2011
Why are blacks too quick to accuse other races of racism?

The editor of the Daily Lobo, the student newspaper of the University of New Mexico, issued an apology in response to criticism from students after it published this Hajo cartoon about the death of Osama bin Laden. Many of the protesters said they thought the cartoon resembled images used in the past to justify slavery.

The cartoon parodies a famous scene from “The Lion King,” having Obama play the role of Rafiki, the baboon. Instead of holding up Simba to announce his birth, Obama is holding up the head of Osama bin Laden, announcing his death. It’s the same scene that Obama tweaked Donald Trump with as a joke at the White House correspondents dinner last week.

“Regrettably, this cartoon offended the African-American community — along with many others — who interpreted Obama’s representation as racist,” write Chris Quintana, the editor of the Daily Lobo. “For this oversight, I sincerely apologize.”

The difficulty of course is that many cartoonists drew George W. Bush as a monkey. The cartoonists all chose to draw Bush with big monkey ears and a huge, monkey-like upper lip, so drawing Bush as a monkey was a natural progression. Now the cartoonists are all drawing Obama with similar, big monkey ears and we’re starting to hear complaints from readers about how we draw Obama’s lips.  Presidents also get shorter in cartoons if they don’t perform well, and chimps are short, forcing cartoonists to have to tiptoe through a racial-metaphor-minefield.

http://blog.cagle.com/2011/05/obama-lion-king-cartoon-causes-cries-of-racism/
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by Kobojunkie: 12:18am On May 09, 2011
sonyvaio:

Why are blacks too quick to accuse other races of racism?

That is the question!!!
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by Beaf: 12:23am On May 09, 2011
If blacks didn't question such cartoons through time, they would still have to give their seats to whites on the bus, there would have been no Martin Luther King, neither would Obama have ever crossed the White House lawn (except to pick litter).
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by udezue(m): 12:32am On May 09, 2011
Some African Americans exhibit blatant racism towards other but don't see anything bad about it. I haven't seen the cartoon but I don't think they should be offended. Lighten up!
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On May 09, 2011
Obama himself showed "Lion King" clip some days ago, at the white house correspondence dinner, as evidence of his birth. If we are going to condemn the Cartoon, maybe the African Americans who feel offended in this case need to start by condemning Obama for using the "Lion King" in his joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qumlAsdU7c
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by sonyvaio(f): 5:12pm On May 09, 2011
There are similar cartoons of George W Bush, drawn as a monkey and nobody felt bad about them.
When it comes to blacks, you never can tell the motives of people, some are really racist!
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by Mynd44: 6:26pm On May 09, 2011
These sensitive cousins of ours self them too dey vex first na Jay Z wife now na lion king
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by wesley80(m): 7:22pm On May 09, 2011
Funny u guys r questioning this but it obviously is just how it is. Just like I can call a fellow black "Nigger" and it wld be laughed off, it is no doubt offensive to have a white man use same word on a black in any context. I can call anyone a monkey but a white man using same word on a blackman wld mean a whole lot more than a friendly jibe no matter how lighthearted the occasion.
I believe the society has drawn up these boundaries to prevent abuse and as such it should be respected, whoever crosses the line ought to be sori like the youngman was so I dont know what u lot r whining about. How wld u like to be cald a monkey when u step on a bus by a White folk and have him smile at u and say "just kiddin"?
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by Arielle: 8:10pm On May 09, 2011
Reminds me of the complaint by an African-American columnist over the word 'niggardly' some years ago! Beyond ridiculous.
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by pleep(m): 8:50pm On May 09, 2011
Great! black people care about our image! grin

Now why don't they convince rappers to stop usuing the N- Word?
honestly ppl, who does more damage; a silly cartoon about obama, or 50 cent?
Re: Obama Lion King Cartoon Causes Cries Of ‘racism’ by pleep(m): 8:51pm On May 09, 2011
Arielle:

Reminds me of the complaint by an African-American columnist over the word 'niggardly' some years ago! Beyond ridiculous.
lol I heard about that, some guy on facebook was making a petition to remove it from the English dictionary. I didnt know weather to laugh or cry. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Names 8 New Inec Recs, 5 Icpc Members / Shocking News; The Nigerian Connection In Trafficking Of Girls In Nigeria..video / Home Alone Nigerian' Girl, 15, Helped Cops Catch Three 'burglars In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.