Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,974 members, 7,828,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned (703 Views)

Church Members Say Pastor Feyi Daniels Framed, Conviction Will Be Overturned / Dennis Kiyede: Judge Pardons Rapist After Conviction / Man Released From Ikoyi Prison After 7 Years For A Crime He Knew Nothing About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:30pm On Jun 30, 2021
The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania vacated Bill Cosby’s 2018 conviction and judgement of sentence, according Stacey Witalec, a spokesperson for Pennsylvania Courts.

The majority opinion stated “Cosby convictions and judgement of sentence are vacated and he is discharged,” Witalec told CNN as she read from the majority opinion.

The court was split on its judgment with four in favor, two part in favor, part not in favor, and one who filed a dissent entirely.

The decision cannot appealed by the prosecution in the state of Pennsylvania.

When asked if Cosby can be released from prison today, Witalec deferred to the prisons department.

Cosby was sentenced in 2018 to 10 years in a state prison for drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand at his home 14 years ago.

Mynd44.
Dominique.

https://www.google.com/cnn.com/cnn/us/live-news/bill-cosby-conviction-release-6-30-21/index.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by fernandez1(m): 6:31pm On Jun 30, 2021
Oh Mr janja weed has been arrested.....I pity for mazi ooo buhari go show the guy pepper o......cos na tyrant de rule us.
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:32pm On Jun 30, 2021
CNN legal analyst on Cosby case: "Very rare to see a court of appeals overturn a verdict on this basis"From CNN's Adrienne Vogt

CNN legal analyst Elie Honig said "it's very rare to see a court of appeals overturn a verdict, a jury verdict, on this basis" after the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania vacated Bill Cosby’s conviction and judgment of sentence.

Honig, a former federal prosecutor, explains:

"When Bill Cosby was charged, he was charged with the sexual assault of one victim, that Temple University employee. ... Prosecutors said we want to call up to five other victims, not the ones who are charged here, but five other victims, to establish a pattern.... The judge let them do that, and now the Supreme Court has said that went too far. These other five victims were not the subjects of the charged indictment, and they went beyond establishing a pattern. They went to the point where it was what we call prejudicial to the defense. So that's the legal basis for the ruling here."

Honig said that the prosecution "can't as a practical matter, appeal."

"This opinion is coming from the highest state court in Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Prosecutors now have to decide if they want to try to retry Bill Cosby for what would be a third time," he said.

"I've seen people who have been tried three times very, very rarely. But beyond that is sort of beyond the pale of what you'll ever see from prosecutors," Honig added.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by pdppower: 6:32pm On Jun 30, 2021
When will Nnamdi Kanu bẹ released? I believe he has committed no crime in asking for freedom for his people.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Eriggs: 6:34pm On Jun 30, 2021
pdppower:
When will Nnamdi Kanu bẹ released? I believe he has committed no crime in asking for freedom for his people.

We dey talk better people, dis one dey talk about an animal and a murderer.
Better shut your mouth for dia. lipsrsealed

Oh. I just see your moniker, no vex!
Na dem tongue tongue
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Samade7: 6:35pm On Jun 30, 2021
When is hushpuppi be released?
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Nbotee(m): 6:35pm On Jun 30, 2021
Make dem jus allow the baba rest before he rests in peace
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Conner44: 6:38pm On Jun 30, 2021
cosby has suffered enough. let him go home and rest
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by pdppower: 6:41pm On Jun 30, 2021
Eriggs:

We dey talk better people, dis one dey talk about an animal and a murderer.
Better shut your mouth for dia. lipsrsealed

Oh. I just see your moniker, no vex!
Na dem tongue tongue

I no vex, but you have no basis for labelling him an animal.
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by adecz: 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2021
You mean say this man
still dey prison❓❓❕❗️❗️

♎️⁉️‼️
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by istina: 6:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
Truth finally prevailed.
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by adewumiopeyemi(m): 6:49pm On Jun 30, 2021
Is already getting old
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by GodIsPerfect(f): 6:50pm On Jun 30, 2021
Ok
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Iceyjayz: 6:50pm On Jun 30, 2021
Bill Cosby, I grew up watching this man's show in the 90's, I'm glad he's a free man now.
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by OlayemiAshraf(m): 7:08pm On Jun 30, 2021
Cosby is out now .... Y'all female better hide your cup of drinks grin
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Megatrix: 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2021
There was never any evidence against him. This jury people just decide cases based on emotions, I don't know where the US got this their useless trial by jury method. Many innocent people are languishing in jail just because members of jury that know nothing about the law decided to find them guilty based on emotional sentiments.
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by DWJOBScom(m): 7:36pm On Jun 30, 2021
That's the issue with media trials
Re: BREAKING : Bill Cosby To Be Released From Prison After Conviction Overturned by Greatzeus(m): 8:46pm On Jun 30, 2021
Wow,I'm very happy about this yet very surprised. I already gave up on him,I actually thought he will do time no matter what because i believe Cosby might be guilty of some of the sexual assaults. Even though it's obvious that many of his accusers wanted to cash out from him.
Shame on all the lazy ass MFs who waited for more than 3 decades to accuse Cosby of rape, hoping to get paid,thieves.
Next is R- Kelly,the world's greatest. We are praying for you RNB Thug. Hold on just like your song said,you shall overcome.

(1) (Reply)

Man's Pen!s Mutilated By IPOB Supporters For "Working With The Government / Abia Gov Directs Police CP To Arrest Officers Responsible For Rape Of Poly Stude / 'offa Boy' Who Posed As An American Lady To Defraud People Lose Property Of Crim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.