Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,366 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! (1941 Views)

If You Want To Anoyed Igbo Just Say Rocha! / The Igbo Just Lost Again!losing Ohakim Likely To 'defeat' Victorious Apga! / Igbo Just Lost!jonathan Sacks Igbo Minister! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by TNUBU4LIFE: 1:20am On May 09, 2011
Power sharing: South-East loses speaker position
…To get SGF, VP in 2015
By NDUBUISI ORJI
Monday, May 09, 2011

• Jonathan
Photo: Sun News Publishing

More Stories on This Section

There were strong indications that the South-East has lost out in its bid to produce the next Speaker of the House of Representatives. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) caucus in the zone has recently be making a strong bid for the position, owing its impressive performance in the just-concluded election. After the South-South, the South-East contributed the largest number of votes to President Goodluck Jonathan in the April 16 presidential election.

A source within the South-East caucus of the PDP confirmed to Daily Sun that the party’s top herieachy would be sticking to the present power sharing formula. The implication being that the President of the Senate, Senator David Mark, who hails from the North Central, is likely to retain his position while the South-West would still hold on to the position of Speaker. This is regardless of the fact that the PDP lost almost all the National Assembly seats, including that of the outgoing Speaker, Dimeji Bankole, it is presently occupying in the South-West to the rival Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) during last general elections.

Under the new arrangement, the South-East would now produce the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF). The source said the National Working Committee (NWC) of the ruling PDP would meet tomorrow to ratify the arrangement. Daily Sun reliably gathered that the major thing used to edge out the South-East in its bid to head the lower chamber of the National Assembly was religion. Our source said the argument was that since both the President and Senate President are Christians, it would not be proper to give the position of the House of Representatives to a Christian. Hence, the decision of the party to cede the position to a Muslim from the South-West.

Apparently dis-satisfied with the arrangement, the source wondered why the position of Senate President was not given to a Muslim in the North or the position of Senate President zoned to the South-East, so that a Muslim from the North gets the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

It was also gathered that the South-East PDP has accepted to produce the SGF instead of the Speaker which it had wanted on the condition that the party caucus in the zone would pick anybody of its choice. The zone had earlier rejected the position because of speculations that former president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, was plotting to impose a former Minister of Foreign Affairs , Chief Ojo Maduekwe as the South-East choice for the position of SGF.

The source also said the South-East caucus accepted to forgo the position of Speaker with the consolation that the zone would produce the vice presidential candidate of the PDP in 2015, who may possibly become the party’s presidential candidate in 2019 or 2023 as the case maybe. However, as at Press time, it was not clear whether the South-East would stil produce the National Chairman of the PDP.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by TNUBU4LIFE: 1:24am On May 09, 2011
I predicted that the igbo would lose in the gej presidency,they made a silly political blunder in their political style.I think the north see them as spoilers and would frustrate every igbo plan to get any upperhand in the gej govt,the battle for 2015 presidency has already started,the yoruba as usual are waiting in the wings!welcome to battle royal 2015!The north would take their pound of flesh!
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by ektbear: 1:35am On May 09, 2011
i dey laff
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by ektbear: 1:38am On May 09, 2011
Though you figure they'll be compensated in some other way.

But still makes me smh that after all that support, no senate presidency, no speaker
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 1:47am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

Though you figure they'll be compensated in some other way.

But still makes me smh that after all that support, no senate presidency, no speaker

There has already been too much speculation.

Let us wait and see before we see who truly loses.

But if this is indeed true, this shall be getting very interesting. If Igbo leaders, do not stand strong, they will see a backlash in Igboland, that they will not be able to handle.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 1:52am On May 09, 2011
I swear Obasanjo is behind this nonsense though! angry
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by ektbear: 2:00am On May 09, 2011
yeah, he is a clever chap. . .amazing to me that one man is going to single-handedly defeat an entire region smiley

Notice how the Northerners have introduced religion into it too. . . saying that having Christian president, christian senate pres, christian speaker (from SE) looks bad and doesn't augur well for the unity of the country grin grin grin

As if religion of the top 6 positions was ever an issue before (aside from President and VP)?  grin grin grin

Hilarious
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 2:04am On May 09, 2011
If Igbo leaders lose this battle, they have themselves to blame.

And will be seen as enemies to the Ndigbo.

I don't think there is any amount of goodwill that these so called leaders will receive in their home states.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Chyz2: 2:15am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

yeah, he is a clever chap. .  .amazing to me that one man is going to single-handedly defeat an entire region smiley

Notice how the Northerners have introduced religion into it too. . . saying that having Christian president, christian senate pres, christian speaker (from SE) looks bad and doesn't augur well for the unity of the country grin grin grin

As if religion of the top 6 positions was ever an issue before (aside from President and VP)?  grin grin grin

Hilarious

Hilarious since the SE has rejected the SGF position, which means, the SW could lose the Speakership position to the NE while the SE gets senate presidency or vice versa. Introducing religion in the matter makes it worse for the SW now that the SE has publicly rejected the position today grin. But all in all, this is of course if the SE doesn't get Speakership, either way, because of the low performance of the SW, you lose. cheesy
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by ektbear: 2:22am On May 09, 2011
^-- Why would the NC loses senate presidency to SE or NE? I think at this point, NC has to be to be the favorite for keeping it (which I guess helps SW retain speaker.)

I don't think anyone cares about or takes seriously your rejection of the SGF. I could be wrong though; lets see how things play out
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by supereagle(m): 2:30am On May 09, 2011
Yoruba Nation will cotinue to have their ways, they are wise people. They must have negotiated with Dr JEGA that he would have their votes on this condition that they get the speaker's slot.Yoruba Nation for president come 2015.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Chyz2: 2:35am On May 09, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Why would the NC loses senate presidency to SE or NE? I think at this point, NC has to be to be the favorite for keeping it (which I guess helps SW retain speaker.)

I don't think anyone cares about or takes seriously your rejection of the SGF. I could be wrong though; lets see how things play out

@bolded, i dont know if you are keeping up with what's going on but the NE has been applying intensive pressure for the Senate Presidency postion. Now that religion is being made a factor, it is easy to knock of Mark, for "religious fairness", and give the NE the position, then the Speakership would have to go to the SE.

As for anyone not caring about the SE rejecting the SGF position, maybe you dont care but you are just Dapo, not anybody within the goverment, ya know.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 2:53am On May 09, 2011
Chyz*:

@bolded, i dont know if you are keeping up with what's going on but the NE has been applying intensive pressure for the Senate Presidency postion. Now that religion is being made a factor, it is easy to knock of Mark, for "religious fairness", and give the NE the position, then the Speakership would have to go to the SE.

As for anyone not caring about the SE rejecting the SGF position, maybe you dont care but you are just Dapo, not anybody within the goverment, ya know.

We need to watch Obasanjo. He still holds sway over President Jonathan. The SE delegation must find a way of countering his influence, because he is the major obstacle to our aspirations.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Chyz2: 3:03am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

We need to watch Obasanjo. He still holds sway over President Jonathan. The SE delegation must find a way of countering his influence, because he is the major obstacle in our aspirations.

He's the problem right now. This delegation should do the trick though. This reminds me of OBJ's failed third term ordeal.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by zstranger: 3:23am On May 09, 2011
Chyz*:

He's the problem right now. This delegation should do the trick though. This reminds me of OBJ's failed third term ordeal.

I hope ndigbo is not claiming victory for that?
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 3:25am On May 09, 2011
sme sme!!

My prediction: ACN will do whatever it is to make SW PDP Senate speaker lose this position in a few days. Unless the SP is an ACN elect, ACN wont bother fighting for it.

Mu he he!! (loff that laff oh)

GEJ is in a tight position:

1) Reward his Biafran siblings for a riggin-magic-numbers job well done!

2) To appease the SW/ N and  to make his term seem fair and democratic.

3) To confirm  fresh air and ensure it for another 4 more years.

Things happening in Naija:

1) SE (or Igbos mainly) desperately want a union with SS to share national cake.

2) SW just dey look dey content with voting out PDP

3) We'll be wasting time and money focusing on election reruns and election court suits.

4) SW, Edo, Itsekiri, Kwara are observing each other and contemplating on a union.

5) North, realizing dem don lose power, dey worry about their future. No more "This is my paddy, he can get me a job".

My Solution:

1) SW, they only way to succeed is to observe the Hausas and help each other. Hope you get me. National cake is free for all now. Dont miss your own o.

2) SW, plz focus on local development before becoming desperate (like our Nth/SE brothers) for national power.

3) SW, get ready for 2015, baby!
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 3:28am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-Idi, I am not going to lie. . . I love a woman who is interested in Nigerian politics. We may not be on the same team, but that is a redeeming quality for you. No matter how tribalistic you can be at times. wink
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 3:31am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

Ileke-Idi, I am not going to lie. . . I love a woman who is interested in Nigerian politics. We may not be on the same team, but that is a redeeming quality for you. No matter how tribalistic you can be at times. wink

A kiss for that. kiss

[size=3pt]Taking any summer classes?[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 3:35am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

A kiss for that. kiss

[size=3pt]Taking any summer classes?[/size]

Thank you. embarassed

[size=3pt]Yes, I will so that I can graduate in the fall. You?[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 3:43am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

Thank you. embarassed

[size=3pt]Yes, I will so that I can graduate in the fall. You?[/size]

Yep yep.

[size=2pt]Goodluck![/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 3:46am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yep yep.

[size=2pt]Goodluck![/size]

Let us call a truce though, just between you and I.  smiley

[size=2pt]Thank you. When do you graduate?[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 3:52am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

Let us call a truce though, just between you and I.  smiley

[size=2pt]Thank you. When do you graduate?[/size]

Me and you have always had truce nau. wink
[size=2pt]
hoo!! Cant tell you that info. I've been having a lot of witches (on and off NL) trying to stop me in my path. I keep rebuking this witches but dem no wan gree ahhh. But sooner than you think tho!

[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 3:54am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Me and you have always had truce nau. wink
[size=2pt]
hoo!! Cant tell you that info. I've been having a lot of witches (on and off NL) trying to stop me in my path. I keep rebuking this witches but dem no wan gree ahhh. But sooner than you think tho!
[/size]

I take that as a deal in more ways than one. wink

[size=2pt]
I understand what you mean, but who would want to wish ill will against such a cute girl like yourself? I am still waiting for that invite to come down. wink
[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 3:59am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

I take that as a deal in more ways than one. wink

[size=2pt]
I understand what you mean, but who would want to wish ill will against such a cute girl like yourself? I am still waiting for that invite to come down. wink
[/size]

Wow!!

[size=2pt]Yea, that "cute girl" line wears off after a while kiss. My fiancee might have a problem with the invitation. You dont think I'll be 7 months pregnant with no ring abi? tongue[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 4:02am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Wow!!

[size=2pt]Yea, that "cute girl" line wears off after a while kiss. My fiancee might have a problem with the invitation. You dont think I'll be 7 months pregnant with no ring abi? tongue[/size]

[size=2pt]Do not say such things. Anyway as some of my akata friends say it, "what does that have to do with me?" I am just trying to have fun. jk grin[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 4:03am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

[size=2pt]Do not say such things. Anyway as some of my akata friends say it, "what does that have to do with me?" I am just trying to have fun. jk grin[/size]

What things should I not say?
[size=2pt]Fun? Okay oh!! I got a SAfrican friend for you to have fun with wink[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by EzeUche2(m): 4:09am On May 09, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

What things should I not say?
[size=2pt]Fun? Okay oh!! I got a SAfrican friend for you to have fun with wink[/size]

NVM

[size=2pt]Nope. I want that Aro-Ekiti hybrid. My clan in particular is known for creating such hybrids. Wouldn't that be nice? A nice Ekiti-Igbo-Ibibio hybrid. . . wink[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by SEFAGO(m): 4:11am On May 09, 2011
You guys should stop derailing the thread or I will report both of you to the moderators cool
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Nobody: 4:14am On May 09, 2011
EzeUche_:

NVM

[size=2pt]Nope. I want that Aro-Ekiti hybrid. My clan in particular is known for creating such hybrids. Wouldn't that be nice? A nice Ekiti-Igbo-Ibibio hybrid. . . wink[/size]

[size=2pt]You're 8 months too late. Pregnant. I can barely see my feet. I think I might be carrying 6 at once. Lawwd have mercy!! tongue[/size]
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by Onlytruth(m): 5:06am On May 09, 2011
Posted by: Ileke-IdI

Things happening in Naija:

1) SE (or Igbos mainly) desperately want a union with SS to share national cake.

2) SW just dey look dey content with voting out PDP

3) We'll be wasting time and money focusing on election reruns and election court suits.

4) SW, Edo, Itsekiri, Kwara are observing each other and contemplating on a union.

5) North, realizing dem don lose power, dey worry about their future. No more "This is my paddy, he can get me a job".

I hope you are joking about the bolded. You of all people should know that SS needs Ndigbo more ('cos we have Ndigbo there too), than we would ever need all of them. If you say that SE sees the benefit of a political alliance to BOTH regions, then yes, you may be unto something. But one individual from one tribe cannot represent a region of about 20 tribes.

If Ndigbo (notice I didnt say SE) decides to demand our share in Nigeria, I shudder at what would happen. If seems as if the more we leave Obasanjo unchallenged, the more he assumes a god-like position in Nigeria.

It may be time to team up with opposing interests to Obasanjo's continuing rule in Nigeria.
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by ifyalways(f): 5:26am On May 09, 2011
Confirmed!

A great percentage of "today's" politics section posters are either looneys who've got no one to talk to in real life,just love to argue for the sake of it,arguing(copy and paste) to impress themselves or just mischief makers.

Some nkita somewhere "speculates" and . . .
Re: The Igbo Just Lost Again!speakership Remains In Sw! by mensdept: 5:35am On May 09, 2011
Nothing has been confirmed as of yet. It's all gist from one corner to the next. In real democracies, it's rare for the ruling party to seed top legislative positions to the opposition, and instead, cabinet positions and their likes are often used. Furthermore, this story is typical of Naija journalism-subtle bias towards certain groups. Why would the nameless "top hierarchy" say that you must put a "Muslim from the Southwest", as if that's going to make Yoruba people or Northerners proud lol.

Though the SE should not make Speaker/Sen. Prez a do or die affair, by virtue of having a significant number of PDP selectors/riggers, they definatley have a stronger case, unless PDP is after all, going to seed things based on ethnicity and religion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Excitement In South East As Radio Biafra Bounces Back Today / NSA Dasuki Threatens To Leave Jonathan Over Boko Haram / Some Kidnappings In Lagos This Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.