Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,099 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum (2680 Views)

Lady Gets Deported For Traveling With The New Nigerian Passport (Photos) / A Single Mum Wants To Relocate Abroad, Needs Ideas / Mistakes Parents Make When Traveling With Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 10:37am On Jul 02, 2021
Please your kind advice is needed on this issue.

My ex-husband has been in the US for about 6 years now and we have an eight year old daughter together. I would like to travel to the US with my daughter for holiday but I am confused about the information to put down when applying for my visa.

1. We are not formally divorced, only been separated for the six years he's been abroad.

2. His daughter bears his surname and has it on her international passport.

3. He has refused to tell me if he stated that he was married to me when he applied for his own visa. I also do not know if he is legally married to another woman in the US.

I know guys find a way around getting divorce certificates from here to the US so they can marry their "akata" or whoever would process their papers for them.

But I don't know if my ex did this before he got his "stay" in the US, because he's been visiting Naija regularly from the second year he travelled. He has also refused to own up to the exact thing he did.

4. What is the chance of applying for and getting the US visa as a single mother, especially as my daughter bears her father's name?

5. Would I need a consent letter from my ex to travel with his daughter if I eventually get the visa?

6. Is it possible not to mention him at all in my application and not be linked to him in any way?

7. Or should I just apply with the true information, attach my wedding certificate and pictures grin, and proofs that my ex abandoned our marriage six years ago without a proper divorce, has been in the US since then, and that we have no intention of ever getting back together? cool

8. But what if he is married in the US presently? Won't I be causing trouble for him? grin

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. I really need clarifications about this. Forget the emojis wink

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by ednut1(m): 11:37am On Jul 02, 2021
Don't deceive your self you know what he did, if he included you guys or declared himself married he would have come for you and or your daughter. Inform him of your plans and try your luck applying

4 Likes

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2021
ednut1:
Don't deceive your self you know what he did, if he included you guys or declared himself married he would have come for you and or your daughter. Inform him of your plans and try your luck applying

You obviously didn't read the whole post, or you did and didn't understand everything. Let me make it clear.

I am not expecting him to "come for" me and my daughter. It's also possible that he declared he was married when he got the visa, then he got to the US and got his peeps here to "arrange" a divorce certificate for him. I know lots of guys and even ladies who have done that. He has refused to come clear about this though, and that is why I am confused as to what to do.

My question basically is how do I apply for a US visa without linking him with me and my daughter?

5 Likes

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by dalass(f): 6:16pm On Jul 02, 2021
solidhomes:

You obviously didn't read the whole post, or you did and didn't understand everything. Let me make it clear.

I am not expecting him to "come for" me and my daughter. It's also possible that he declared he was married when he got the visa, then he got to the US and got his peeps here to "arrange" a divorce certificate for him. I know lots of guys and even ladies who have done that. He has refused to come clear about this though, and that is why I am confused as to what to do.

My question basically is how do I apply for a US visa without linking him with me and my daughter?

You're asking questions that no one can give specific answers to.... Hence the over 150 views yet only one reply!

Your case is complicated. But you have no choice but to mention him if you're asked concerning your marital status.

First tell him your plans and see his reaction. Then take things from there...

I suspect he's married over there and wants to keep you people right here.

I know a guy who has no intention of bringing his wife and daughter to US because he feels once his wife gets to US, he'll not be able to control her! Let's hope that's not your case

4 Likes

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 7:04pm On Jul 02, 2021
dalass:

You're asking questions that no one can give specific answers to.... Hence the over 150 views yet only one reply!

Your case is complicated. But you have no choice but to mention him if you're asked concerning your marital status.

First tell him your plans and see his reaction. Then take things from there...

I suspect he's married over there and wants to keep you people right here.

I know a guy who has no intention of bringing his wife and daughter to US because he feels once his wife gets to US, he'll not be able to control her! Let's hope that's not your case

I agree it's complicated, and that is why I have come to ask here, hoping that someone with a similar experience will see this and share how she went about it.

We are separated and have no plans of getting back together. I have no intention of seeing him while I am in the US too. Besides, I am only going on holiday with my daughter. I have no plans to stay back in the US.

Then I have told him about my plans but he is not opening up to me about his marital status there or if he has already put in the documents to file for his daughter.

I know people who were denied visas because there spouses were already in the US, which is why I want to know the best way to put in my application.

Mentioning him in my application is fine, but I also don't want to create problems for him. What if he is married in the US, and I go to the consulate as his separated wife?
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by dalass(f): 9:49pm On Jul 02, 2021
solidhomes:

I agree it's complicated, and that is why I have come to ask here, hoping that someone with a similar experience will see this and share how she went about it.

We are separated and have no plans of getting back together. I have no intention of seeing him while I am in the US too. Besides, I am only going on holiday with my daughter. I have no plans to stay back in the US.

Then I have told him about my plans but he is not opening up to me about his marital status there or if he has already put in the documents to file for his daughter.

I know people who were denied visas because there spouses were already in the US, which is why I want to know the best way to put in my application.

Mentioning him in my application is fine, but I also don't want to create problems for him. What if he is married in the US, and I go to the consulate as his separated wife?

The next line of action will be to put in your application as a single woman with her daughter who has an ex (if you're asked sha) in the US...

All the best... Sorry ... But some men are scumbags
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by HRprof: 10:43am On Jul 03, 2021
solidhomes:

My ex-husband has been in the US for about 6 years now and we have an eight year old daughter together. I would like to travel to the US with my daughter for holiday but I am confused about the information to put down when applying for my visa.

1. We are not formally divorced, only been separated for the six years he's been abroad.

3. He has refused to tell me if he stated that he was married to me when he applied for his own visa. I also do not know if he is legally married to another woman in the US.

I know guys find a way around getting divorce certificates from here to the US so they can marry their "akata" or whoever would process their papers for them.

But I don't know if my ex did this before he got his "stay" in the US, because he's been visiting Naija regularly from the second year he travelled. He has also refused to own up to the exact thing he did.

4. What is the chance of applying for and getting the US visa as a single mother, especially as my daughter bears her father's name?

5. Would I need a consent letter from my ex to travel with his daughter if I eventually get the visa?

6. Is it possible not to mention him at all in my application and not be linked to him in any way?

7. Or should I just apply with the true information, attach my wedding certificate and pictures grin, and proofs that my ex abandoned our marriage six years ago without a proper divorce, has been in the US since then, and that we have no intention of ever getting back together? cool

8. But what if he is married in the US presently? Won't I be causing trouble for him? grin

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. I really need clarifications about this. Forget the emojis wink

Is unfortunate you experiencing this ... is really complicated but try and apply using separation as single mother not divorced because it might require you showing prove evidence of divorce documents. If he aren't in US that will be easier for you.

Did he travel using tourist visa? Has he legalise his stay? Investigate all that I will help you in you visa application.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by CryptoRepublic1: 5:01pm On Jul 03, 2021
There's nothing complicated there,you're a single mother of one simple.

There're thousands of people could be using the same surname,as long as you don't need anything from him,then forget about him,don't mention anything about him and you'll be fine as long as you meet the requirements for visa.

3 Likes

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 5:48am On Jul 04, 2021
dalass:

The next line of action will be to put in your application as a single woman with her daughter who has an ex (if you're asked sha) in the US...

All the best... Sorry ... But some men are scumbags

Thanks, brother.

Finally spoke to a lawyer and was asked to go to a federal high court to file that my ex has left for some years now, I don't know his whereabout, and I have been solely in charge of taking care of my daughter. Still, I'd love to hear from someone who has had a similar experience and how she resolved it.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 5:50am On Jul 04, 2021
HRprof:

Is unfortunate you experiencing this ... is really complicated but try and apply using separation as single mother not divorced because it might require you showing prove evidence of divorce documents. If he aren't in US that will be easier for you.

Did he travel using tourist visa? Has he legalise his stay? Investigate all that I will help you in you visa application.

I know it sounds awkward that I don't have answers to your first question, and it's because we have been separated before he got the visa. He only called me that he was now in the US. However, I think he has legalized his stay because he's come home like twice since he travelled.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 5:51am On Jul 04, 2021
CryptoRepublic1:
There's nothing complicated there,you're a single mother of one simple.

There're thousands of people could be using the same surname,as long as you don't need anything from him,then forget about him,don't mention anything about him and you'll be fine as long as you meet the requirements for visa.

You make it sound very easy grin

Thanks, very plenty. I had thought of this too. I guess I'll just take my chances and see how it goes.

I look forward to sharing the good news here.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 5:52am On Jul 04, 2021
HRprof:

Thanks for offering to help. I'll keep you updated once I know the next move.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by Focusmind: 6:46am On Jul 04, 2021
You don't need to worry much. Just tell the VO that you guys are temporary separated but you don't know his where about now. If you mention that he is currently living in the US, that may be the end of the interview as it would be misinterpreted that you are going there to join him permanently.

Your case is a rare case as it would be difficult to see someone with similar case to offer you guidance.

The closest case I saw was a colleague of mine in the bank then, she is a single mother and wanted to apply for the Canadian express entry visa with her daughter. She was temporary separated with her husband as at time and there was no chance of them coming back. They were in separation for two years before she started her application.

Meanwhile, within that period, the husband was already living with another woman, making the union as good as dissolved but there was no official divorce certificate.

She put in the application and went through all the processes and was successful. She got her visa in 2019 and she is currently living in Manitoba, Canada with her daughter.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by HRprof: 9:13am On Jul 04, 2021
solidhomes:

I know it sounds awkward that I don't have answers to your first question, and it's because we have been separated before he got the visa. He only called me that he was now in the US. However, I think he has legalized his stay because he's come home like twice since he travelled.

If you have separated from him before he got visa, obviously he will not indicate married as his status definitely he applied as single guy, so you do not need to worry about it just go and apply as single lady do not indicate him in your application . For you daughter one has have a child without marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 9:30am On Jul 06, 2021
Focusmind:
You don't need to worry much. Just tell the VO that you guys are temporary separated but you don't know his where about now. If you mention that he is currently living in the US, that may be the end of the interview as it would be misinterpreted that you are going there to join him permanently.

Your case is a rare case as it would be difficult to see someone with similar case to offer you guidance.

The closest case I saw was a colleague of mine in the bank then, she is a single mother and wanted to apply for the Canadian express entry visa with her daughter. She was temporary separated with her husband as at time and there was no chance of them coming back. They were in separation for two years before she started her application.

Meanwhile, within that period, the husband was already living with another woman, making the union as good as dissolved but there was no official divorce certificate.

She put in the application and went through all the processes and was successful. She got her visa in 2019 and she is currently living in Manitoba, Canada with her daughter.

Thanks for your response. Your advice makes sense. I think it's what I'm going to do.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by solidhomes: 9:31am On Jul 06, 2021
HRprof:

If you have separated from him before he got visa, obviously he will not indicate married as his status definitely he applied as single guy, so you do not need to worry about it just go and apply as single lady do not indicate him in your application . For you daughter one has have a child without marriage.

Abi... Thanks for this. It's about the only option I have.
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by Moytim: 10:56am On Aug 21, 2021
You don't need to indicate him in your application as other people here have said. Single mother shikena�. I hope you nd your daughter answer d same surname.

If I were you, I'll not even let him know my intentions. He may not want u to be given visa so that you wouldn't go nd expose him there. It's well with you sha
Re: Traveling With My Daughter as a Single Mum by megastu(m): 9:58pm On Aug 28, 2021
Dear Madam,

If below is truly excerpts from your previous post, just forget about going to any U.S Embassy/Consulate.

"Hubby and I got into Houston on Tuesday morning. Our PoE was Atlanta and we were interviewed by a black officer. He only asked what we were in the US for and we answered holiday. He asked why Texas and we said it's because it's relatively not as cold as other US States. During the visa interview in Lagos, we said we would be going to Florida, Orlando. He asked us about this change too and hubby said it's because we got a cheaper ticket to Texas, but we would still be going to Florida after two weeks in Texas. He also asked us about places we intend to see in Texas and hubby said we have not made up our minds yet as we would be resting in the hotel for most part of the first week. He asked about our places of work too. Then he took our fingerprints and asked a lady to take us to a waiting room.

After few minutes, my hubby was called away. He was interviewed by another officer for almost 20mins and that got me very scared; especially because I thought I was going to be interviewed alone too. But to God be the glory, hubby came back with our bag and said we were free to go with 6months stay stamped on our passports. I am about 25 weeks pregnant and not showing at all so we were not even asked anything about it"

solidhomes:

(1) (Reply)

Everything US H-1B Visa Category / Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! / Any Flight From Abuja To Jos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.