Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad (534 Views)

Nigeria Shouldnt Allow Any Igbo Man Or Woman To Become President.... / Why Nigeria Shouldnt Allow The Ibos Take The Name Ipob Abandon The Name Nigeria / Nigerian Cement Armada(1970). No Be Today Nigeria Name Spoil For Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by Unlettered: 10:22pm On Jul 04, 2021
I was just reading a thread about so many people writing their opinions on why its not reasonable to drop your Nigerian job for abroad.

So many people have fallen victims to the “japa” crew and their motivation to actualise it. For me, working abroad needs more preparation and lots of sacrifice. Before you attack me know that i did my Msc in Uk - London. So i know what i’m talking about.

I went on scholarship sponsored by pdtf. It wasnt easy fo the first 6 months as i wasnt paid till after 6 months. What really saved me was my job back in nigeria. Being that i took my study leave from work, it helped me to atleast do the basics of getting accommodation, and little food “bread and butter”. For anyone who knows london, you know its expensive from accommodation to transportation to bills. So i really struggled. Not forgetting the struggle of being in a new system entirely both academic and social.

I quickly followed the advice of a classmate to find a job which wasnt easy either. Lucky to got a hospitality job, i was earning £7.20/hr. And i have 40hrs a week. I havent adjusted to the school system yet with so much course work and assignments to finish. I was devastated and broken for that period. Kept borrowing from a good friend because my salary back home couldnt cover my london accommodation. It was basically hell on earth.

I met an elderly man during one of my jobs which was washing plates at a kitchen for an event centre in excel (those who have been to london know). This man gave me the best advice and the reality of how one can actually make it in london. He said: “to work in Uk, you either have to sacrifice for your family so they can have the best life here or you sacrifice the family and enjoy your life with only YOUR responsibility. Because he was working full time from 6am to 9pm daily and thats just for his family.

I had an intention to stay and work after my program but gave myself brain knwoing that i’ll have to find a job that can sustain me and atleast send something back to my mother. Because the difference between africans and westerners is that we actually care about our relatives. Foreigners dont. Its basically just you and your family or self.

So i saved up my money and came back.

One more thing, you can actually get a contract of N10-20 million in nigeria within a year if you have the right connect or have the right idea. But in abroad, that may never be possible.

So for anyone with bright ideas and patience, Nigeria is still a developing nation meaning you can think of an idea that can change the nation for good or you go abroad and seek knowledge of an already existing idea and be a white collar job worker. The choice is yours.

God bless nigeria and Nigerians.

Cc lalasticlala mynd44

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by Tolams16(m): 10:55pm On Jul 04, 2021
Ftc
Re: Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by Waakanda: 6:48am On Jul 05, 2021
undecided
Re: Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by HitRun(m): 6:53am On Jul 05, 2021
I don't understand this kind of your own ptdf scholarship sha
Re: Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by Unlettered: 8:56am On Jul 05, 2021
HitRun:
I don't understand this kind of your own ptdf scholarship sha

Omo it was really a struggle. And the worst ofall was even after countless emails they refused to reply. But a colleague that went together was credited after a month because he knew someone in the office
Re: Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by jlomz: 9:34am On Jul 05, 2021
Unlettered:
I was just reading a thread about so many people writing their opinions on why its not reasonable to drop your Nigerian job for abroad.

So many people have fallen victims to the “japa” crew and their motivation to actualise it. For me, working abroad needs more preparation and lots of sacrifice. Before you attack me know that i did my Msc in Uk - London. So i know what i’m talking about.

I went on scholarship sponsored by pdtf. It wasnt easy fo the first 6 months as i wasnt paid till after 6 months. What really saved me was my job back in nigeria. Being that i took my study leave from work, it helped me to atleast do the basics of getting accommodation, and little food “bread and butter”. For anyone who knows london, you know its expensive from accommodation to transportation to bills. So i really struggled. Not forgetting the struggle of being in a new system entirely both academic and social.

I quickly followed the advice of a classmate to find a job which wasnt easy either. Lucky to got a hospitality job, i was earning £7.20/hr. And i have 40hrs a week. I havent adjusted to the school system yet with so much course work and assignments to finish. I was devastated and broken for that period. Kept borrowing from a good friend because my salary back home couldnt cover my london accommodation. It was basically hell on earth.

I met an elderly man during one of my jobs which was washing plates at a kitchen for an event centre in excel (those who have been to london know). This man gave me the best advice and the reality of how one can actually make it in london. He said: “to work in Uk, you either have to sacrifice for your family so they can have the best life here or you sacrifice the family and enjoy your life with only YOUR responsibility. Because he was working full time from 6am to 9pm daily and thats just for his family.

I had an intention to stay and work after my program but gave myself brain knwoing that i’ll have to find a job that can sustain me and atleast send something back to my mother. Because the difference between africans and westerners is that we actually care about our relatives. Foreigners dont. Its basically just you and your family or self.

So i saved up my money and came back.

One more thing, you can actually get a contract of N10-20 million in nigeria within a year if you have the right connect or have the right idea. But in abroad, that may never be possible.

So for anyone with bright ideas and patience, Nigeria is still a developing nation meaning you can think of an idea that can change the nation for good or you go abroad and seek knowledge of an already existing idea and be a white collar job worker. The choice is yours.

God bless nigeria and Nigerians.

Cc lalasticlala mynd44

Bros good morning ooooooooO, please are you done with your program in the UK?

I sent you a PM please kindly check your mailbox, I need counsel biko
Re: Why You Should Or Shouldnt Leave Nigeria For Abroad by Unlettered: 10:00am On Jul 05, 2021
jlomz:

Bros good morning ooooooooO, please are you done with your program in the UK?

I sent you a PM please kindly check your mailbox, I need counsel biko

Yeah im done and back.

(1) (Reply)

Biafrans In Germany Take Their Protest To Kenya Embassy In Germany / Nigerian Drug Trafficker Arrested In India Using Code Found On His Phone / Falana To Malami, Disclose The Charges Filed Against The Sponsors Of Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.