Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? (1750 Views)

Senate Proposes 18 As Age For UTME Candidates / New Retirement Age For Teachers Approved By FEC / President Buhari Okays 65-year Retirement Age For Teachers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Juliusmomoh: 3:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
Parent in the house should help us answer this please... It's urgent...... It's just 1 and six month old
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by HRSweetness(f): 4:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
Parent in the house should help us answer this please... It's urgent...... It's just 1 and six month old

Do you mean 1 year, six months old? If so, the child can get started in play group.
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Juliusmomoh: 4:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
HRSweetness:

Do you mean 1 year, six months old? If so, the child can get started in play group.
Yeah.. He can play around.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Juliusmomoh: 4:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
Lalasticlala olawalebabs fynestboi
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by HRSweetness(f): 4:32pm On Jul 05, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Yeah.. He can play around.

I meant, he can start play group. That's a class for early years.

Alternatively, you can wait till he is 2 then he can start pre school.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Juliusmomoh: 4:53pm On Jul 05, 2021
HRSweetness:

I meant, he can start play group. That's a class for early years.
Alternatively, you can wait till he is 2 then he can start pre school.
Thank you
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Yes but target Three years for Nursery 1. Five years for Primary 1. Ten years for Primary 5. At Ten years, he/she is qualified for common entrance in most secondary schools. Eleven years in Primary 6 is a bonus.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by HRSweetness(f): 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Thank you

Welcome. smiley
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Juliusmomoh: 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2021
NL1960:

Yes but target Three years for Nursery 1. Five years for Primary 1. Ten years for Primary 5. At Ten years, he/she is qualified for common entrance in most secondary schools. Eleven years in Primary 6 is a bonus.
What a great analysis... Thank you
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by talk2hb1(m): 6:31pm On Jul 05, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
3-4years
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Juliusmomoh: 7:14pm On Jul 05, 2021
talk2hb1:
3-4years
Before he start nursery 1 ?
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 7:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
NL1960:

I want to rephrase this post so as to be clearer.

Yes but target Nursery 1 at age 3. Primary 1 at age 5. Primary 5 at age 10. At age 10, he/she is qualified for common entrance in most secondary schools. Age 11 in Primary 6 is a bonus.
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Mecka: 7:47pm On Jul 05, 2021
NL1960:

Yes but target Nursery 1 at age 3. Primary 1 at age 5. Primary 5 at age 10. At age 10, he/she is qualified for common entrance in most secondary schools. Age 11 in Primary 6 is a bonus.
is it ok to home school a child and then by five yrs send him or her to sch at pry one. I'm not a father yet
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 7:54pm On Jul 05, 2021
Mecka:
is it ok to home school a child and then by five yrs send him or her to sch at pry one. I'm not a father yet

Yes. I home schooled my first child as my wife was not working then. He started Nursery 1 at age 3 as he was born in September. He is preparing for his WAEC now. My second child got into Nursery 1 at 3+.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by tchidi066(f): 8:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
I'll say a year+, you can get the child toys like get him actively learning and nursery rhymes to sing along , parents atimes leave everything for the teacher and thats not proper, you should also participate in your baby's learning
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Iceyjayzz(m): 9:50pm On Jul 05, 2021
2 years upward

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Ay04z(m): 10:42pm On Jul 05, 2021
KadrianMann:
Visit the website on my signature to see the only reliable source of fixed football matches on the internet.
bet will ruin u... Stop
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Temi2k20: 12:14am On Jul 06, 2021
Seeking advice from other parents is good but also note that kids mature at different rates. Gain university admission with Jamb using Jupeb or Ijmb. Learn more today www.ijmbdivinehelp.com
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by rowland545(m): 7:08am On Jul 06, 2021
NL1960:

primary 6 u smoke weed?

My kidbro is 14yrs and he is writing his neck exams already....
.children now r finishing sch early...don't follow this advice... At 10 a child should b in jss1 already. .no time especially a female child. .

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Divoc19(f): 8:21am On Jul 06, 2021
How is age 11 in Grade 6 a bonus? Please

NL1960:

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 10:19am On Jul 06, 2021
rowland545:
primary 6 u smoke weed?

My kidbro is 14yrs and he is writing his neck exams already....
.children now r finishing sch early...don't follow this advice... At 10 a child should b in jss1 already. .no time especially a female child. .

Do what is best for you. You do not have to follow my advise. Iam a believer in 10 years to enter secondary. My daughter passed into a competitive secondary school in primary 4 at 9+ but i prevented her from going as i wanted her to do one more year in Primary school. There is no hurry in life.

Btw, your kidbro is not doing anything special writing neck exams at 14 years. Btw, it is NECO and not neck. I have seen 12 years writing NECO exams.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 10:23am On Jul 06, 2021
Divoc19:
How is age 11 in Grade 6 a bonus? Please

Some parents insist on the child completing the entire primary education in the 6-3-3-4 system. So after Primary 5, you can decide to allow the child to go to Primary 6 or he/she goes to secondary. None of my kids did Primary 6 as my target was 10 or 10+ to enter secondary as the plan was for them to go to a boarding school and i feel that at 10 or 10+, they will be able to cope in boarding.
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by rowland545(m): 10:30am On Jul 06, 2021
NL1960:

Do what is best for you. You do not have to follow my advise. Iam a believer in 10 years to enter secondary. My daughter passed into a competitive secondary school in primary 4 at 9+ but i prevented her from going as i wanted her to do one more year in Primary school. There is no hurry in life.

Btw, your kidbro is not doing anything special writing neck exams at 14 years. Btw, it is NECO and not neck. I have seen 12 years writing NECO exams.
thanks for the correction... I'm glad u got d message.

I hope u won't see anything special when ur child is 20 and still in sec school
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 10:41am On Jul 06, 2021
rowland545:
thanks for the correction... I'm glad u got d message.

I hope u won't see anything special when ur child is 20 and still in sec school

Very funny. How is that possible?. I plan my kids education from when they are born. Age 3 in Nursery 1. Age 5 in Primary 1. Age 10 in Primary 5. So how is it possible that the child will be in secondary at age 20?. My son is 15 and is about to write WAEC having blasted his February WAEC GCE which he can use to enter University if i want as he got a good JAMB result. The key thing is to meticulously plan your kids education. As i said, iam a strong believer in age 10 for secondary. I do not subscribe to age 8 for secondary no matter how brilliant the child is.

1 Like

Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by Divoc19(f): 11:47am On Jul 06, 2021
You have not answered what the benefits/bonus of an 11 years old child is as stated in your previous post.

NL1960:

NL1960:

Some parents insist on the child completing the entire primary education in the 6-3-3-4 system. So after Primary 5, you can decide to allow the child to go to Primary 6 or he/she goes to secondary. None of my kids did Primary 6 as my target was 10 or 10+ to enter secondary as the plan was for them to go to a boarding school and i feel that at 10 or 10+, they will be able to cope in boarding.
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by edoairways: 11:51am On Jul 06, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Before he start nursery 1 ?
3 years for nursery 1
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by NL1960: 12:02pm On Jul 06, 2021
Divoc19:
You have not answered what the benefits/bonus of an 11 years old child is as stated in your previous post.

Maybe i use the word 'bonus' in a wrong context. What i was actually implying is that it now depends on the parent to allow the child to continue to Primary 6. Some schools have strictly Primary 6 and will not give the child a testimonial if the child does not do Primary 6. Schools that have Primary 6 spread the scheme across 6 years to Primary 6 but those that do not have Primary 6 spread the scheme across 5 years to Primary 5. Some schools with Primary 5 basically have Primary 6 as a revision class for pupils preparing for common entrance.
Re: When Is The Right Age For A Child To Start Going To School ? by TheWolfen(m): 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2021
The moment the child start saying papa, mama.

These new age kids are lot smarter than our generation. They learn fast

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 African Most Formidable Queens / What Are The Best Anatomy Textbooks For Medical Students In Nigeria. / A Funny Query-reply From A Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.