Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,540 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo (1069 Views)

Bread And Fufu: Would You Eat This? (Photos) / Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? / Black Spaghetti. This Is What It Looks Like. Can You Eat This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by Srobinson(f): 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2021
ORIGIN OF MY WEIRD COMBO
#VeryLongPost... Please read... Thank you
Almost 12 years ago, I lost my DAD... December 21, 2009.
Fours days to Christmas. A Black Christmas it was ����
He was not the best of fathers but looking back now I would give anything to have him here with me so we could now laugh over what became a lifestyle way back in our bid to overcome hunger. Thank God for a mother who cushioned the effect of the struggle on her knees, selling her wrapper and borrowing foodstuffs on credit so we don't die of hunger.
We had it rough at a point growing up, such that this slogan became our national anthem every time my dad tried to justify the lack of food at home.

"When the desirable is not available, the available becomes desirable"...����...

See endurance and accommodation of suffering and lack in the name of being content with what you have...tufiakwa
He should have made us long for more and do all we could to be better, instead he made sure we used whatever we had at home while hoping it got better.
Looking at empty cupboards in the kitchen, there was nothing except an empty palm oil bottle with stale oil at the bottom �� and a loaf of bread he luckily got as a gift for his children... That's how we lit the stove, melted the oil and cut the bread into slices for everyone... We ate and drank water and went to bed �...
The next morning, I had to go buy food stuff on credit from a church member who began to hide whenever she saw me coming with my head lowered �... Now I can laugh... God punish poverty... I wonder where that lady is today, last I was home she no longer sells there. She tried for us, honestly....
So as to make sure the food lasted, we would cook a big pot of stew and that served as soup for every other dish. Watery stew��.. At times we took dry garri and spread stew on top, chew and drink water hoping the garri will rise in your tommy and fill it. That's why I can use stew today to eat any swallow...
Or we use okro, green and watery and pinch of stew as soup to swallow eba. Even if the garri cakes, we eat it like that. When soup finishes, we use eba and beans, or beans and garri... When we can't afford tomato for stew, egusi and bread or white rice came to the rescue.
Other times, we chew bread and onions from the suya daddy buys while we keep the meat to soak garri the next day.

Mum made sure pap was always in the house, we soaked and grind the corn ourselves... So pap and other ingredients began to unfold so long as we kept hunger at bay. That's how pap and groundnut or kulikuli was invented or pap and crayfish or termite (esunsun). ����...

If you no chop, you go hungry...our taste buds had no choice than to adapt. Who dash monkey banana those years to know there was anything like fried rice.
Those days mummy manages to attend a party and bring home those "executive takeaway packs inside polythene bag", ���... You know those types... Chai... It was new year celebration in the house that period.
White rice and plain green okro soup nko �, or pap and agbono soup? Mummy will say, pretend it's agidi���... I would rather drink water. I couldn't stomach those. Or white rice and palm oil with grounded pepper... Chai �... God punish devil.
See ehn, being able to eat these meals now not out of necessity but just to laugh at the devil is a surreal feeling you will not understand. You are free to attribute it to whatever, but only me knows moving beyond sharing head of fish with three other siblings while we soaked garri and wait for it to rise for 30mins is victory in itself.

Now I can afford to finish two smoked fish if I please and that's just snacks o,���� not the main meal... Ah �������������. You will not understand.
Today as always, I miss you daddy, wish I could taunt you now with those combination we used to keep body and soul together while we would laugh over it. You taught me so much and now I appreciate them even though I saw you then as the most heartless of human beings...
My effizy daddy, Mr B one and only Sir Baky of life... I couldn't pay my last respect to you before you were buried immediately according to the Muslim tradition as your family are still Muslims... I know you would have wanted me to write my last two papers instead of having a spill over because you died. You taught me to be less emotional and decisive when it comes to matters like that and though I was a zombie throughout the examination period, I was able to make you proud in death by graduating as the best student in my department. ���
My daddy, the one who taught me how to check for oil in a car, change flat tyre myself, add water to the radiator abi na caburator, check battery level and my tyres before driving. Who taught me to have an eagle eye as a driver, to see five poles ahead of me always so as to have ample time to divert if need be in case the road is not safe ( he was mostly looking out for road safety �)... He taught me traffic rules that driving school didn't teach me, taught me to be a "man and woman" especially for future sake as if he foresaw something �����... Those lessons are life savers now.
He taught me emotional stability the hard way by abandoning me in the hospital for three days. I had ulcer and almost died, he didn't bother to check on me. God bless my darling mother who was there for me and still is, you will live long mama because I will spoil you big time, you watch and see. I came back home and he called me out by the car, while showing me how to check if my car was properly washed anytime I took it to a carwash by looking at the inner part of the tyre compartment, he asked if I knew why he didn't come to the hospital... ���... This man get mind o, stupid question but fear of his dirty slap will not allow me say it out loud...
I looked at him and said no... And he looked at me and said he loves me but he had to let me know that the people I love will hurt me ��� in future, and I should learn to deal with the hurt and not allow it cripple me. He is not raising a "mushy mushy" daughter as a child so I have to learn to be tough if not people will play with my emotions. ��... Then it didn't make sense but over the last ten years..it has made a lot of sense over and over again,�������...
I could go on and on....
Maybe write a book about you someday...
But for today, I just want to thank you for being the weird father that you were... For the life saving combo you taught me, for the pain and sacrifices, for the show of being heartless not knowing you were also hurting ���
It's almost 12 years today I received that stupid phone call and all the person said was...

'Is that Seun? Your father is dead'...�����... Just like that o
I love you Daddy
I miss you
Keep resting �
I remain the first daughter you had whom you preferred that she had come as a boy instead, maybe that's why you were so tough on me, now I will never know but I am grateful still...
It's still not goodbye yet �����
Still, #ItCanOnlyGetBetter

#ComboOfLife
#ComboOrigin
#ComboLifeSaver
#SeunRobinson
#Author

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by donbachi(m): 6:54pm On Jul 05, 2021
U go soon use okro soup chop rice.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by lilvicky68(m): 6:55pm On Jul 05, 2021
I can eat bread with anything..oil, pepper soup, stew , soup, salad etc..bread is a universal food to me..

2 Likes

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by hbemigho(m): 7:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
E go well oo.

I dey run am
donbachi:

4 Likes

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by donbachi(m): 7:07pm On Jul 05, 2021
hbemigho:
E go well oo.

I dey run am
no be me and u.

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
donbachi:

That is a normal diet.

Tried it once out of curiosity at my granny's. Coconut rice+okra

Very delicious.

You should try it. It will open your eyes.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by KaideeGee(m): 2:08am On Jul 06, 2021
We understand.

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat BREAD And PALM OIL? #weirdcombo by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2021
Waaat Palm oil ? Weird o...

I'll rather have the bread plain.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Cucumber Health Benefits (how Cucumber Changed My Life!!!) Find Out How Cucumber / Eat Or Pass? / The 5 Best Junk Foods For Your Healthy Eating Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.