Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,371 members, 7,812,092 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:58 AM

Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! (1893 Views)

Am I Too Old To Be Learning Fullstack Development / Is Age 40 Too Old To Become A Software Engineer? / I Want To Learn Programming, Where Do I Start From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tunaxy(m): 12:47pm On Jul 09, 2021
Programming is an of alluring profession, at least to me who seems to love creativity and real word practicality that comes with web development.

My interest in programming language, most especially Python is on a high, but to be honest, I'm afraid to start the process and commit to learning it.

After spending a lot of years in school, now I'm close to 30 years of age. So I don't know how long it might take to learn Python and Django. I'm sure it'll be a little bit challenging, but I love challenges myself.

So over to you, my guru developers in the house... is (30) not too old to start learning this technologies.

I'll take all advice, or critique.

1 Like

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Chimeluv(f): 12:51pm On Jul 09, 2021
No
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by lilvicky68(m): 12:57pm On Jul 09, 2021
It depends on your mindset.. there's no age limit in learning..

3 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by airminem(f): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2021
Just do it!
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:31pm On Jul 09, 2021
You aren't old but please don't learn python Django you will regret it big time O. Learn JavaScript, learn PHP and learn a platform and you will be smiling in eight months time.

10 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Karleb(m): 1:43pm On Jul 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
You aren't old but please don't learn python Django you will regret it big time O. Learn JavaScript, learn PHP and learn a platform and you will be smiling in eight months time.

I know a fellow who does c# for web development. The guy is seriously stranded. No job.

Stack can indeed make or mar anyone.
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by The5DME(m): 1:52pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

I know a fellow who does c# for web development. The guy is seriously stranded. No job.

Nawa oh.
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

C# is good o. He should transition to salesforce or sap. Contrary to what a lot of people think, enterprises ain't building shit from scratch. They leverage on existing platforms. Being in software has exposed me to do much. I don't think I can be a full stack developer again.

2 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Karleb(m): 2:05pm On Jul 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

C# is good o. He should transition to salesforce or sap. Contrary to what a lot of people think, enterprises ain't building shit from scratch. They leverage on existing platforms. Being in software has exposed me to do much. I don't think I can be a full stack developer again.

I'll tell him about this when next we meet.

Full stack development is stressful.

Unless you are building same/similar projects every time, that thing is stress.
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by ShadowCracker(m): 2:07pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

What do you mean no job, there are so many online asp.net jobs.

He could even add Azure to it, then he should have no problem getting jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:08pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

I'll tell him about this when next we meet.

Full stack development is stressful.

Unless you are building same/similar projects every time, that thing is stress.
Another thing too is that many of these guys don't still know how to job hunt. Ask him how many jobs he has applied for. Look at his projects. How does his CV look like? Sometimes it's not the stack but so many people don't know how to present themselves or put in effort to get a job.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by africanman85: 5:41pm On Jul 09, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Why do u say this?
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:45pm On Jul 09, 2021
africanman85:
Why do u say this?
Job opportunities for python Django are very few and the companies mostly using that stack do not give chance to junior Devs. They strictly employ seniors. No one is going to employ a junior dev to come and build APIs in python and the fact that python Is dynamically typed and works in almost every use case doesn't help. Its a very bad choice for beginners but people are going in cause of hype. They will still come to cry on nairaland. Check past threads of people having problems getting jobs. It's always python.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Thenaijaitguy: 7:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Karleb:

If the guy is very good with c# let him contact me there's a lot of opportunities in c#. I work with a Fintech company and we need more developer in c# and Angular. I will give him the hr Mail to send his CV

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by randomShek: 9:34pm On Jul 09, 2021
Thenaijaitguy:

If the guy is very good with c# let him contact me there's a lot of opportunities in c#. I work with a Fintech company and we need more developer in c# and Angular. I will give him the hr Mail to send his CV
The power of connection and favor. The C# bro would be in one corner still thinking about way forward not knowing things have possibly started moving for him.

Good luck to him!

2 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Karleb(m): 11:24pm On Jul 09, 2021
Thenaijaitguy:

The guy is a junior. I don't think there is any offense if he tries.

How do I contact you, through PM?
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Codedboy95(m): 8:46am On Jul 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Any reason why you discourage the guy from learning Django and told him to learn PHP instead? Because There are a lot of PHP jobs?
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:07am On Jul 10, 2021
Codedboy95:
Any reason why you discourage the guy from learning Django and told him to learn PHP instead? Because There are a lot of PHP jobs?
PHP just has more opportunities especially for beginners than Django. WordPress, Magento, Drupal, laravel, symphony etc and more all use PHP.

1 Like

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by SUPREMOTM: 10:16am On Jul 10, 2021
ShadowCracker:

What do you mean no job, there are so many online asp.net jobs.

He could even add Azure to it, then he should have no problem getting jobs.

Maybe he got stuck with classic ASP, winforms and web forms. .Net platforms experienced so much changes since 2016 that you either have to keep up or get left behind.
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Thenaijaitguy: 1:06pm On Jul 10, 2021
Karleb:

The guy is a junior. I don't think there is any offense if he tries.

How do I contact you, through PM?

Whatsapp only pls
0815 667 8190
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Avast(m): 4:10pm On Jul 10, 2021
tunaxy:
Programming is an of alluring profession, at least to me who seems to love creativity and real word practicality that comes with web development.

My interest in programming language, most especially Python is on a high, but to be honest, I'm afraid to start the process and commit to learning it.

After spending a lot of years in school, now I'm close to 30 years of age. So I don't know how long it might take to learn Python and Django. I'm sure it'll be a little bit challenging, but I love challenges myself.

So over to you, my guru developers in the house... is (30) not too old to start learning this technologies.

I am much older than you and I just started learning web development. So age is not a barrier.

Good luck

3 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Codedboy95(m): 6:37pm On Jul 10, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

PHP just has more opportunities especially for beginners than Django. WordPress, Magento, Drupal, laravel, symphony etc and more all use PHP.
personally, I won't advice a beginner to learn PHP, except they are looking to get a job really fast. I will say they should learn Javascript or python. Although PHP is a very good language. I have used it for 10 years but I am not very sure how relevant it will be in next 10 years. People don't really rate PHP devs
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:44pm On Jul 10, 2021
Codedboy95:
personally, I won't advice a beginner to learn PHP, except they are looking to get a job really fast. I will say they should learn Javascript or python. Although PHP is a very good language. I have used it for 10 years but I am not very sure how relevant it will be in next 10 years. People don't really rate PHP devs
Lol you wan chop your money alone bros. It's understandable. PHP powers 83 percent of the internet and it won't change anytime soon.

3 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by etoluw: 9:19pm On Jul 10, 2021
tunaxy:

you can start with WordPress
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by GeniusHawlah(m): 4:46am On Jul 11, 2021
Avast:

I am much older than you and I just started learning web development. So age is not a barrier.

Good luck

I love to see determined people like you sir. It isn't usually easy to maintain focus especially in a challenging field like this. I urge you keep the fire burning bro. You may want to get some tips on dos and don'ts for a web development newbie, who knows, it may help.

https://www.geniushawlah.xyz/posts/fundamentals-of-starting-web-development

1 Like

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Avast(m): 7:26am On Jul 11, 2021

1 Like

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Haywhyluv: 10:16am On Jul 11, 2021
I need someone to mentor me, in php
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by qtguru(m): 10:26am On Jul 11, 2021
tunaxy:

Outside Nigeria I've seen older programmers but in Nigeria we tend to feel someone is too old to be coding. Dhtml runs his business and still coding maybe just in the background. No age is too late, its the value you have to offer and your expertise.

4 Likes

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 11, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Your comment made me think very deep. Hmmm! I can see the angle you are talking from. I think here is what I will say: One should start with the two if one is looking for means of survival which is the first step any sensible human should do. Even I want to partner with or employ, I always give preference to candidates with ongoing side hustles. However, bro....the sophisticated library of Python and it's like is something good about it. This is why many programmers go for it. I even showed a guy who contacted yesterday something in Python in relation to AI. And it is one of the first languages for AI and robotics. By the way, C++ is a language I keep looking at as one language which is so rich. When you start innovating, then, you start digging into these languages you condemned. And you have proved me right that we arent innovating in Naija again. The only issue with Python is it's slow speed. At times, I try to see if other faster Language can so what python does.

Please, give a balanced review na. Lol. A beg, dont discourage my guys from python and django. Bro, those boys will still make cash soon...but I agree that they should add the two you recommended to their arsenal. PHP and drone innovations are 5&6. Lol.

By the way, which languages are you good with?

I think I really need to break these things down for guys.
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 11, 2021
qtguru:

Outside Nigeria I've seen older programmers but in Nigeria we tend to feel someone is too old to be coding. Dhtml runs his business and still coding maybe just in the background. No age is too late, its the value you have to offer and your expertise.
Bro, at times I get frustrated with guys, and I just vex enter room at least to bring out something to show them. Or sit with them to dig into stuff esp into libraries. Just that its exhausting.
Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 11, 2021
tunaxy:

Are you kidding me. Not up to 30 and you feel you are old. Jeez! Oga, I have encouraged 49 years old to pick coding up. If there are opportunities which you can tap into, why not?

Now, if you are in love with creativity, guy, never give up. Python is the thing bro. However, like someone said, you may need Javascript and PhP if you want to side hustle more for pocket money or you are on a survival mission. Even at that, PhP is used in drone applications and you should look into it. There are simple projects you can derive satisfaction from. Or even projects you can create and turn to money making machine for yourself.

Life is just starting at 30. Coding is a brain tasking activity, so you can even start at 70. Trust me, if you are into in innovation, it will just be sweet. But if it's working for someone else who will be hitting your head on the wall, you may not enjoy it. So, it depends on what you really want to achieve with it. You cant tell a 50 years old plus who is not aspiring to work in a big firm to move into database area. Boredom will kill such. Hope you get me. The bottom line is that you must know why you are into it. Side hustling or creativity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Am Too Old To Learn Programming ! by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:40pm On Jul 11, 2021
PeaceJoyLove:

Your comment made me think very deep. Hmmm! I can see the angle you are talking from. I think here is what I will say: One should start with the two if one is looking for means of survival which is the first step any sensible human should do. Even I want to partner with or employ, I always give preference to candidates with ongoing side hustles. However, bro....the sophisticated library of Python and it's like is something good about it. This is why many programmers go for it. I even showed a guy who contacted yesterday something in Python in relation to AI. And it is one of the first languages for AI and robotics. By the way, C++ is a language I keep looking at as one language which is so rich. When you start innovating, then, you start digging into these languages you condemned. And you have proved me right that we arent innovating in Naija again. The only issue with Python is it's slow speed. At times, I try to see if other faster Language can so what python does.

Please, give a balanced review na. Lol. A beg, dont discourage my guys from python and django. Bro, those boys will still make cash soon...but I agree that they should add the two you recommended to their arsenal. PHP and drone innovations are 5&6. Lol.

By the way, which languages are you good with?

I think I really need to break these things down for guys.

Hunger might kill someone before he gets to innovate with AI. My close friend knew about the tech industry and has been doing data science since 2018 and he has never gotten a job with it.

There's also hardware. To really do data science to a very high level you need a good laptop. At least a 2070 rtx graphics card and this machines cost close to a million or above. A lot of people learning to code in Nigeria can't afford laptops or would kill to even get a laptop of 70k so how would they learn the artificial intelligence effectively when poverty is a very big problem.

I only do JavaScript PHP and java and I am very specific to platforms. I don't do full stack development and I don't go outside my domain of knowledge when it comes to code.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beginners Guide To Amazon Web Services, Elastic Cloud Computing. / What's The Easy Way To Learn Programming? / Top 10 Programming Languages To Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.