Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,951 members, 7,814,226 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? (2028 Views)

A Degree In LAW Or ECONOMICS : Which Is Better? / Which Is A Better Course To Study At Masters Level? / The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:08pm On Jul 09, 2021
I don't have a lot of time, so I'll go straight to the point.

This thread is in response to a similar one that made homepage yesterday or the day before (I'm not sure).

I saw a lot of ignorance being displayed on the thread (On the first couple of pages) with majority asking the OP to go for Economics.

Economics is a good course no doubt, but considering the present realities in Nigeria, it's one of the most useless courses to study. IMHO, any program from which one cannot create jobs (for himself or herself at least) is useless.

As an accountant (Chartered or Not), you can offer bookkeeping and accounting services to other businesses, and earn a living therefrom. Same cannot be said of an economist.

Even with the high unemployment rate, an accountant still stands a better chance of getting a job than an economist. Every organization needs the services of an accountant, not an economist.

For those who will want to argue otherwise, I have only two questions for you:

1. How many times have you seen companies advertising for economists? Compare that to the number of openings for accountants.

2. How many accountants have you seen aspiring to become economists? If economics is such a lucrative course, why are economics graduates writing ICAN exams to become chartered accountants when the Institute of Chartered Economists of Nigeria (ICEN) is there?

I rest my pen.

cc:

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by edoairways: 1:48pm On Jul 09, 2021
I agree with you
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:38pm On Jul 09, 2021
Thank you.
edoairways:
I agree with you
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by Vipro(m): 5:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
Accounting or Business Administration,which is better?
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2021
Vipro:
Accounting or Business Administration,which is better?
Even you know the answer.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by Vipro(m): 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2021
PatrickOkunima:
Even you know the answer.
I don't know

That is why I ask...

Please I want to ask another question...
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 10:23pm On Jul 09, 2021
Economics does not limit you to being an economist.
Even many that studied economics doesn't understand how vast the course is.
Sadly, the problem we have in Nigeria is limiting education to only having a good degree and getting a good job.

1 Like

Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by mkolawole: 11:34pm On Jul 09, 2021
Economists too can create job,you could be an entrepreneur...You definitely do not need to be an employee to someone else
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by Cerebellum: 1:19am On Jul 10, 2021
Which way naija cry
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:11am On Jul 10, 2021
mkolawole:
Economists too can create job,you could be an entrepreneur...You definitely do not need to be an employee to someone else

Every profession can create jobs. The question is, can an economist create jobs by offering economics services to individuals and businesses?

The only job an economist can create directly from the knowledge acquired in school is to teach economics.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:16am On Jul 10, 2021
kingcalipha:
Economics does not limit you to being an economist.
Even many that studied economics doesn't understand how vast the course is.
Sadly, the problem we have in Nigeria is limiting education to only having a good degree and getting a good job.

No course is limiting. An Agronomist or Historian today can become an Engineer tomorrow. A graduate of Yoruba or CRS can decide to purse a career in Medicine or Nursing. So, that's not the basis of my argument.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 8:34pm On Jul 10, 2021
PatrickOkunima:

No course is limiting. An Agronomist or Historian today can become an Engineer tomorrow. A graduate of Yoruba or CRS can decide to purse a career in Medicine or Nursing. So, that's not the basis of my argument.
Exactly, but I wasn't referring to changing career part.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 10:45pm On Jul 10, 2021
PatrickOkunima:

Every profession can create jobs. The question is, can an economist create jobs by offering economics services to individuals and businesses?

The only job an economist can create directly from the knowledge acquired in school is to teach economics.
I guess you are still an undergraduate.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:40am On Jul 11, 2021
@kingcalipha: If you do not mean change in career path, then what exactly do you mean?
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:40am On Jul 11, 2021
kingcalipha:

I guess you are still an undergraduate.
Wrong! I am an M.Sc. holder.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 7:23pm On Jul 11, 2021
PatrickOkunima:
Wrong! I am an M.Sc. holder.
Sincerely speaking, you don't sound like one.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 7:46pm On Jul 11, 2021
PatrickOkunima:
@kingcalipha: If you do not mean change in career path, then what exactly do you mean?
To change a career path, you need to start from scratch. Engineering as a course have no relationship with accounting. In other words, the possibility of an Engineer switching career path to accounting is significantly low.
But a Mechanical engineer can easily switch to electrical engineering without much stress. Switching to electrical engineering doesn't mean he changed career path, he is still an engineer.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:58pm On Jul 11, 2021
kingcalipha:

Sincerely speaking, you don't sound like one.
What have I written so far that suggests otherwise?
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:22pm On Jul 11, 2021
kingcalipha:

To change a career path, you need to start from scratch. Engineering as a course have no relationship with accounting. In other words, the possibility of an Engineer switching career path to accounting is significantly low.
But a Mechanical engineer can easily switch to electrical engineering without much stress. Switching to electrical engineering doesn't mean he changed career path, he is still an engineer.

To start with, it should be "Engineering as a course has no ..." If you think I'm wrong, then we have a bigger problem.

Back to the topic of discourse: Your views of change in career is flawed. The probability or possiblity of changing from one career to another should not define what is or what is not considered a career change. Using that as a criteria exposes your level of ignorance. In Nigeria of today, more engineers have towed the ACA path vis-a-vis those pursuing careers in different branches of engineering. And the reason is not far-fetched. Considering that Nigeria is not a producing country, many engineers are unable to practice. A good number of Nigerian engineers, myself inclusive consider engineering to be unmarketable. It is natural for people to go for careers they believe will open more opportunities for them. The last example you cited does not also follow. There are different areas of specialization in mech engineering. Any move that takes a mech engineer out of those areas of specialization to a different field (engineering or not) is considered a change in career.

Another big blunder on your part is confusing change in career with change in career path. Career path and change in career are two different things. If it's too complicated for you to understand I can come down to your level.

Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 11:54am On Jul 12, 2021
PatrickOkunima:
What have I written so far that suggests otherwise?
As an MSC holder, I don't expect you to refer a course as "useless".
Comparison of superior career is for secondary school debates.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by kingcalipha(m): 11:57am On Jul 12, 2021
PatrickOkunima:

To start with, it should be "Engineering as a course has no ..." If you think I'm wrong, then we have a bigger problem.

Back to the topic of discourse: Your views of change in career is flawed. The probability or possiblity of changing from one career to another should not define what is or what is not considered a career change. Using that as a criteria exposes your level of ignorance. In Nigeria of today, more engineers have towed the ACA path vis-a-vis those pursuing careers in different branches of engineering. And the reason is not far-fetched. Considering that Nigeria is not a producing country, many engineers are unable to practice. A good number of Nigerian engineers, myself inclusive consider engineering to be unmarketable. It is natural for people to go for careers they believe will open more opportunities for them. The last example you cited does not also follow. There are different areas of specialization in mech engineering. Any move that takes a mech engineer out of those areas of specialization to a different field (engineering or not) is considered a change in career.

Another big blunder on your part is confusing change in career with change in career path. Career path and change in career are two different things. If it's too complicated for you to understand I can come down to your level.
Thanks for the corrections, but what makes you educated is doing so in a civilised manner.
I am not throwing tantrums with you, I am just here to help a stranger that might find answers in your thread.
Re: Accounting Or Economics: Which Is A Better Course To Study? by PatrickOkunima(m): 1:37pm On Jul 12, 2021
kingcalipha:

As an MSC holder, I don't expect you to refer a course as "useless".
Comparison of superior career is for secondary school debates.

No degree is entirely useless, for at least two reasons:

1. Knowledge is gained in the process, whether or not the student makes use of it.

2. A bachelors degree can serve as foundation for a productive career in a different field.

However, anyone seeking to know what prospect a program holds is looking at employment opportunities. It is on this premise my assertions were made. Every rational being would agree that some courses are not required in the Nigerian job market. I don't know how else to describe such degrees without using the word "Useless."

Saying that I sound like an undergraduate simply because of an opinion I hold is an insult. That was why I corrected your mistake in the manner I did. I am sorry if you're offended by it (Even though you have gone ahead to call me an uncivilized person).

Closing Remarks:

People should know before hand, what they're getting themselves into by studying a course that the labour market does not need. You applied for Medicine. For whatever reason, instead of Medicine, the university offered you admission for Microbiology. Before accepting or rejecting the offer, you should ask yourself certain questions, such as:

1. Who are my parents and how influential are they? If your parents are connected, you can go ahead and study any course. They'll fix you up after graduation. If you're a poor man's son or daughter, you need to probe further.

2. Are there job opportunities for Microbiologists?

3. If the answer to 2 is No, can I create a job for myself?

4. If the answer to 3 is No, what can I do with this degree?

If you're unable to come up with something reasonable to do with your Microbiology degree and develop a solid plan on how to actualize it, do not accept the offer, lest you waste your time and money.

NOTE: I only used microbiology as an example. This is my opinion and what I will do given the circumstance. It is also the piece of advice I'll give to a friend or relative in similar situation.

(1) (Reply)

An Online Matlab Tutor With A Passion For Helping Other / Nddc Screening And Interview / Unilorin Suplementary And Movement List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.