Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,052 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola (485 Views)

FG Owes Contractors Over ₦‎11 Trillion, Says Fashola / Tinubu, Ambode And I Are Cool Says Fashola / Nine Varsities To Get Solar Plant, Says Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by EcoBrick: 4:06pm On Jul 09, 2021
https://punchng.com/nigeria-has-no-housing-deficit-says-fashola/

Okechukwu Nnodim

9 July 2021

The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, on Thursday said that there was nothing like housing deficit in Nigeria.

Operators in the built environment as well as government officials had before now put the housing deficit in Nigeria at about 17 million.

But while speaking in Abuja at the inauguration of the Board of Directors of the Federal Housing Authority on Thursday, Fashola argued that the housing deficit claims had no scientific and logical basis.

He said, “There is something out there before we came in that Nigeria has housing deficit; it’s a lie.

“Unfortunately, it was a document that originated from this ministry in 2012. It has no scientific basis, nor logical basis; so ignore it.”

Fashola said the housing problem was an urban problem, stressing that people who rented houses in the urban centres had empty buildings in their villages.

“Whether in Lagos, Kaduna, Abuja or Ibadan, we see empty and unoccupied houses and we need to begin to understand this problem,” he said.

He said it was time to begin to think on how to unlock and bring the empty houses into the market.

“If we have things that are not used, does it make sense when we say that we have deficit of things available but not used?” the minister asked.

He charged the newly appointed board members not be blocked by the definition of deficit, but channel their understanding and professionalism for the benefit of all.

“Essentially, your role will be as defined by the FHA Act and I urge you to quickly acquaint yourself with the responsibility under the act,” Fashola said.

The Board Chairman, FHA, Senator Lawal Shuaibu, commended the minister for the prompt inauguration of the board as approved by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).

He assured the minister that the board would implement the policies before the authority and would not come up with excuses on non-performance.

Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 09, 2021
shocked shocked shocked

This man is high

Must be sniffing glue or something.
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by CodeTemplar: 4:18pm On Jul 09, 2021
They cannot deliver and have resorted to lying.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 09, 2021
Rocket scientist

Bandit government

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by Ofunaofu: 4:21pm On Jul 09, 2021
grin
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by kokoA(m): 4:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Brain don dey pain am to?
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by nosiebaba(m): 4:22pm On Jul 09, 2021
Argh?? Okay there is excess in housing but with 3ok minimum wage that most states refuse to pay, citizens should magically afford 30-100million naira houses ba.
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by Seniorwriter(m): 4:24pm On Jul 09, 2021
Clueless Administration of incompetent politicians.

Can't forget how this same fashola used to run his mouth about getting things done in six months now after Six years he has achieved nothing as a minister.

Very anyhow mofos parading themselves in corridors of leadership positions.

FarahAideed:

What do you mean he has achieved nothing? cheesy. Come on the man just solved NIGERIas housing deficit problem be declaring it a hoax grin
Your sarcasm is noted...I'm so angry that the only thing that still keep smiles on my face recently is because I earn in $s and also have people been mentored to do same....else ill be cranky always....SMH.

We need young visionary leaders come 2023.

@Seniorwriter
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by aribisala0(m): 4:25pm On Jul 09, 2021
We have no housing deficit because there are many empty= unused houses

We have no poverty because there are many unused bank balances =unused money

There is no hunger because there is plenty of food in the market Nigerians are stubborn and refuse to buy food

Makes sense

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by FarahAideed: 4:33pm On Jul 09, 2021
I have always maintained Fashola was being overated as governor of Lagos and he keeps proving me right
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by FarahAideed: 4:34pm On Jul 09, 2021
Seniorwriter:
Clueless Administration of incompetent politicians.

Can't forget how this same fashola used to run his mouth about getting things done in six months now after Six years he has achieved nothing as a minister.

Very anyhow mofos parading themselves in corridors of leadership positions.

We need young visionary leaders come 2023.

@Seniorwriter

What do you mean he has achieved nothing? cheesy. Come on the man just solved NIGERIas housing deficit problem be declaring it a hoax grin
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by MadamExcellency: 4:48pm On Jul 09, 2021
That's what happens when you put an elite barrister with no specialty on Humanitarian corridors to oversee housing deficit.

For the government, it shouldn't even about availability but affordability.

Rural Urban migration management and control is still the function of the government.
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by baralatie(m): 4:54pm On Jul 09, 2021
Omo see Bleep up
Re: Nigeria Has No Housing Deficit, Says Fashola by afroniger: 5:03pm On Jul 09, 2021
FarahAideed:

But his explanation makes sense to me, though I will still blame him for taking this long to appraise and arrive at this position. While a housing deficit truly might exist, Fashola's pronouncement is being hinged on a more scientific audit of sorts.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PDP Has Given Me Go Ahead To Run For President – Bauchi Governor / Defections: PDP Faults Femi Adesina, Says We Are The Hope Of Nigerians In 2023 / Sunday Igboho In Chains And Pains, Weeping In Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.