Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You (574 Views)

Nigerian Man Living In South Africa Needs Help Reconnecting Back Home / How Do I Deal With An Emotionally Cheating Husband / My Husband Is Torturing Me Emotionally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by DeSwitchConsole(m): 2:15pm On Jul 13, 2021
People Are Sharing Non-Obvious Signs That Are Actually A Cry For Help, And It's Eye-Opening
I never would've noticed some of these myself...

On Saturday, Reddit user u/IncessantlyBored asked, "What is a sign of a cry for help that isn’t obvious to the average person?" People provided fascinating, important examples of small behavioral changes in others that can be signs that something is wrong.

Here's what they shared:
1. "Reaching out and being overly nice to friends both close and casual with the hope that they will reciprocate and eventually ask them how they’re doing, so that when they open up it’s not about being a burden, but because they were prompted to do so."
—u/Zestyclose-Pea-3533

2. "Giving a lot of personal possessions away without wanting anything in return."
—u/tehlmehowyareelyfeal

3. "Lack of interest. Gamer all of a sudden no longer games? Gardener let his plants die? Social butterfly now hides in a cave?"
—u/MrCellophane999

4. "The person stops caring about their appearance and neglects their hygiene and grooming because in their mind they are thinking, 'It doesn't matter, so why bother?'"
—u/Bottom4MePlease

5. "Excessive drinking when they usually don't."
—u/MostOriginalNameEver

6. "When someone is constantly busy so they don’t give themselves time to think. Also, when someone gives up on a lot of basic things like cleaning or washing up because they can’t think about anything except what’s bothering them."
—u/Platonus44

7. "Sleeping all day and having no interest."
—u/AeBS1978

8. "When someone has obviously been crying or tears up without apparent provocation, even in a very public setting, it can be a sign that they're in too much pain even to try masking it."
—u/FlourChild1026

9. "When they start cutting off contact. If that outgoing, happy person suddenly 'just isn't up to it,' or always says, 'Maybe some other time,' then something is wrong."
—u/driving_andflying

10. "Marked differences in behavior where the person becomes way more positive and energetic than normal. We tend to think of these sorts of changes as being good, but any sudden and large enough change in behavior is something you need to keep an eye on. This is especially true if they are going from a very negative pattern of thinking/behavior into an uber-positive one very quickly."
—u/zx-km-space

11. "Saying, 'I'm sorry,' for everything or taking the blame for things that shouldn't even have a blame."
—u/cute_oranges

12. "Purposely avoiding sad and difficult topics. Sometimes when a person is constantly feeling like shit, the last thing they want to do is bring up more negativity when hanging out with people they enjoy being around. Oftentimes being with friends/family can be a brief escape from always feeling awful, and so bringing up negative topics can ruin this feeling of escape and make the depression feel never-ending and suffocating."
—u/sunnyrubberboots
13. "Oversharing and lack of filter goes hand in hand with depression."
—u/Throw2theMoon

14. "Becoming attached to objects or other non-human things is one I have noticed quite a lot about some people I know who have struggled."
—u/VirtualRealityOne

Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanschocket2/signs-that-are-cries-for-help

Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by DeSwitchConsole(m): 2:17pm On Jul 13, 2021
I personally can relate to a lot and I'm realizing some I should have noticed, everyone should read this, perhaps you could understand that one person better and prevent unlikely events

This should be on front page I think, mods
Lalasticlala
Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2021
You are right

1 Like

Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by Realadey(m): 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2021
You are very right OP, God bless you

1 Like

Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by cassyrooy(m): 5:11pm On Jul 13, 2021
It's inevitable for us to feel like shiť from time to time, even, over a long period of time but hey, don't let it submerge you.

Please teach your children how to make themselves happy from things not connected to money or other immaterial things, it can preserve their souls when they first discover they're suddenly not happy anymore with themselves.

Equally, learn to encourage people to keep going in life, you never know who's about to quit all entirely.

Adults too should develop an alpha sense of responsibility towards the next person who comes into his or her life, two broken people can heal themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by Cyphar(m): 9:15am On Jul 28, 2021
3. "Lack of interest. Gamer all of a sudden no longer games? Gardener let his plants die? Social butterfly now hides in a cave?"
—u/MrCellophane999

4. "The person stops caring about their appearance and neglects their hygiene and grooming because in their mind they are thinking, 'It doesn't matter, so why bother?'"
—u/Bottom4MePlease

This 2 points are the obvious way one can know people around us need help
Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by Marvyx(m): 9:21am On Jul 28, 2021
In Nigeria, we are so laden with our problems that we most likely don't have time to notice other people's problems. A lot of people are going through depression and are dying silently but you won't know until you pay attention.
Re: Some Non-obvious Signs That Someone Needs Help Emotionally Around You by candelahria(f): 9:56am On Jul 28, 2021
15. When they become extremely religious all of a sudden.I know two people with mental issues and they had that same characteristic.

(1) (Reply)

Pete Buttigieg Announces He And Husband, Chasten, Are Now Parents / w / City Big Boy's Mum Asks Him To Wash Plate When He Returned Home For Xmas (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.