Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

Organic Feeding Is Reducing Cost Of Tilapia Farming-remi Ahmed, TADAN President - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Organic Feeding Is Reducing Cost Of Tilapia Farming-remi Ahmed, TADAN President (484 Views)

Wow!!! We Just Received Another Set Of Tilapia Fingerlings From Thailand Today. / Fish Farming Mustn't Be Catfish Alone, Explore Tilapia Farming In Fullest(video) / Setup A Catfish Or Tilapia Farming Business With N100k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Organic Feeding Is Reducing Cost Of Tilapia Farming-remi Ahmed, TADAN President by Agricwatch: 12:27pm On Jul 17, 2021
While other sectors of agriculture bemoan the high cost of production, MR. REMI AHMED, President Tilapia Aquaculture Developers Association of Nigeria-TADAN, shares with IBUKUN IGBASAN, the way his organisation uses organic technology to reduce the cost of feeding which to a large extent has increased profits in Tilapia farming.

Agricwatch: Considering the high cost of fish farming as a result of increase in the cost of feed ingredients, how are you driving the tilapia faring?

Remi: On our side, Tilapia farming is growing and booming very well due to the Agro-Processing, Productivity, Engagement, and Livelihood Support (APPEALS), programme by the World bank and the Lagos State government. Fingerlings were bought from us and after they were cultured in six months, an average weight of 900g was attained. By world record, that was an unbelievable and astounding feat. In fact, a lot of Indian communities in the country operating in that space were equally amazed. Some of the participants were surprised to have achieved 1.75kg table size fish. All this was hinged on the method of feeding we used on our fishes, courtesy the results , the order for fingerlings from my farm across West Africa is shocking. Presently, I have an order of one million fingerlings to supply in three months to Cameroun alone.
Meanwhile, the preference for cultivating Tilapia over Catfish which includes: its non cannibalistic nature, health benefit as the meat is white and recommended for the elderly and some religious adherents who do not consume scaleless fish is increasing its demand.

Records have shown that many catfish farmers are closing shop now as a result of high cost of feed. But for us, we use the larva of black soldier fly (bsf), azolla and duckweed to feed our tilapia fish.

Agricwatch: Your last take is a pleasant news amidst the dampening reports in other agricultural sectors in the country, how do you handle the challenges therein?

Remi: Organic feed has been the solution. It is not that we are unaffected with the high cost of feed. It is highly expensive. For instance, I run an integrated farming system to feed the bsf,. This led me to purchase 1000 birds. Currently, I daily spend N24 000 worth of feed on the pullet However, the benefit of this integrated farming is that the bsf feeds on the droppings and provides me with first class organic feed for my tilapia, therefore, increasing the worth of the fish.
Amazingly, the organic feed- Duckweed and Azolla are readily available and accessible. Also, both rapidly multiply freely and when feeding cost is sorted out , ultimately production cost will definitely decline and profit will increase .

Agricwatch: At the moment, Tilapia is still expensive in the market, what are the practical steps to be taken to bring down the price?

Remi: General training and adoption of improved technology is essential to achieve that. My solution is localized as the duckweed, azolla and bsf that I use are all on my farm. That is the reason my association is working towards bringing tilapia farmers together for training. In Fact, we have a member that sells duckweed in Badagry. There, farmers can buy in tonnes from him. When everybody embraces organic feeding methods , the price of tilapia will reduce in the market.

Agricwatch: How can youths and those interested be involved in tilapia farming?

Remi: We have an ongoing training at zero costs. Regrettably, many youths shy away from farm work .Many say the larva -maggot irritates them . Also, ignorance is a slow killer. During the experimental stage of using larva, many people frowned at it. Meanwhile, in Kenya, it is everywhere. Nigeria has a budding population and to ensure food security, young people have to be involved. Furthermore, they need to be patient and be willing to grow. This will enable youths to learn the trade. In addition, I advise investors to carry out proper intelligence on investment schemes on tilapia farming to prevent losses.

FacebookTwitterEmailWhatsAppShare
Post navigation

Re: Organic Feeding Is Reducing Cost Of Tilapia Farming-remi Ahmed, TADAN President by bizzibodi(m): 7:50pm On Aug 23, 2021
I came here to see d tilapia & feeds not market women.

(1) (Reply)

Closed / Quality Old Layers For Sale. / How To Sort Catfish - Fish Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.