Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:16 AM

I Might Not Have A Job By Monday - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / I Might Not Have A Job By Monday (1190 Views)

Nipost Logo Redesign Competition! Results To Be Released Monday..11/9/17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 3:37pm On Jul 17, 2021
Fake it till you make it
I have always abided by this policy and it had been working out till now......

This is going to be a lengthy post but please read, I need all the help and advice I can get.

Last year, I got a job by manipulating my CV and being punctual to an interview, but amazingly it provided an opportunity where I could learn on the job, I am a fast learner so I crossed that bridge easily.

I had access to a work laptop and unlimited internet (all through my years in school, I didn't own a laptop , so this is a big deal for me). I thought of the limitless things I could learn online which I couldn't do before, I finally settled on my old time love, programming
(Flashback)
I started learning coding on my phone in 2017 but along the line, I got frustrated and stopped, it wasn't easy without a laptop. Then in 2018/2019, a man on Twitter started an initiative Laptop4Developers, which provided aspiring coders with laptop and a learning environment. NOTE : emphasis on "aspiring". It was the maiden edition and I joyously entered the DM of the guy, spoke at length, told him I was interested and he laid down the conditions of which he only told me I had to get sponsors and RT; people who were going to donate money. I solicited far and wide for support on Twitter. I was living and breathing on Twitter for more than a month , RTing all the posts and commenting, when I didn't even have data, I borrowed, in a hope that I'd win. I finally found someone to sponsor me and he donated money, albeit not enough money to buy a new laptop but he did . I checked the GoFundMe page, all other sponsors were foreign philanthropists.

Long story short, we even exceeded the target , and he increased the number of potential winners . I smiled knowing after all my hard work I was going to get one.
This was when magic happened. Lol
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 3:53pm On Jul 17, 2021
Remember he said the criteria for wining was just RTing and getting a sponsor?? Then he said there was going to be an interview
Interview? For? I was boggled up
It wasn't an Interview to get to know the winners but an interview to judge who should win by asking questions about programming.
But you said "aspiring" programmers , how am I supposed to know the technicalities when I am just a beginner. Lol
I attended the interview and of course it was a disaster. I had been tricked, some of the winners didn't RT more than I did , neither did they get sponsors, some didn't even have a Twitter account.
How did I know? We had a discussion before I went in for my interview , they were all tech gurus and I was there like a fool.
To say I wasn't shattered is an understatement, I'm a very sensitive person , so I cried for days at my naiveness and gullibility.
That day killed my last hope to learn code or so I thought
(Fast forward to me getting a job last year)

This story is probably inconsequential but I had been holding it in for 2 years and it feels good to finally get it off my chest plus it shows one of my numerous trials to get a laptop.....

1 Like

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 4:21pm On Jul 17, 2021
I think I've digressed a bit and I'm only writing to myself now.
Lol

Anyways in January 2021, my life took a turning point and with some help by a code guru on nairaland, I finally started learning front end development, after 5 long years.
I love codes, whiling away at a laptop for hours gives me joy.

During my sojourn into front end, I discovered that it's, kinda of interrelated with UI/UX, so I enrolled in a training (Zuri), to learn product design (this was in April).
Few weeks down the line, NYSC happened.
I tried all my best to get posted to Lagos but it was futile, I was deployed to Plateau.

Here comes the bad news
I had to quit my job and say goodbye to my work laptop and unlimited internet (bye bye front end , bye bye UI/UX). It's been 2 months

Fake it till you make it right?
I was in search of a PPA and kinda bragged to the wrong person that I was a product designer. The man in his Innocence thought it was the same thing as graphics design, posted me to a design company, I should have corrected him but no I thought I could fake it.

This has been working well for me because luckily, the CEO of the company travelled.
I have spent two weeks in the organization which I could have used to learn the basics if I had a personal laptop and shame won't allow me tell my colleagues the truth.

My boss returned on Friday and he was informed that I had been hired, he asked if anyone had interviewed me to know my capabilities or told me to design, they replied No. He was furious
He faced me and told me we will see on Monday and I know that means I'll be interviewed on Monday.

Please what can I do ?
Because quite frankly I don't want to lose the job, it's one of the few paying PPAs in my state.
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by qeemus: 4:45pm On Jul 17, 2021
You can't fake it anymore. Tell him your area of specialty.. If they need you, they'll keep you.

2 Likes

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 4:49pm On Jul 17, 2021
qeemus:
You can't fake it anymore. Tell him your are of specialty.. If they need you, they'll keep you.

I'm done for
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by balingaonline(m): 8:00pm On Jul 17, 2021
Since you are a fast learner, you can go to nearest graphic designer and explain everything to him/her , on that Monday please don't go to office just use any available excuse and attend your private lesson, I think you would have had small idea to convince them, once you have hired you can continue with your lesson.
More also, YouTube is your friend

1 Like

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Willmichael(m): 9:05am On Jul 18, 2021
thatthickgurl:

I'm done for

@thatthickgurl

Lol. I also joined zuri, till now

Anyway. You can still fake till you make it.

First off, you have to convince them that you're still learning UI/UX, cos graphics and product design are two different things

Secondly, bury yourself in YouTube and Google between now and Monday morning. Learn everything about interviews and what you need to know. Watch a lot beginner videos on Design. This would give you what to say.
Watch a small video that you can practice along on figma. Then make sure to practise it, at least design two things before tomorrow. It would give you an edge, a air of small experience, and confidence that you know what you signed up for.

Once you ace the interview, you can still learn on the job, even within a week, vigorously.

You can do this, I know this because of what you did with the Twitter thing, living and breathing on Twitter.

Do same here..., with YouTube

If you have any specific questions, after you must have learnt some things, may be on colours, or grids, or style guides, whatever, just lemme know...

I'd be glad to help

1 Like

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Sultan5(m): 10:16am On Jul 18, 2021
thatthickgurl:
Fake it till you make it
I have always abided by this policy and it had been working out till now......

This is going to be a lengthy post but please read, I need all the help and advice I can get.

Last year, I got a job by manipulating my CV and being punctual to an interview, but amazingly it provided an opportunity where I could learn on the job, I am a fast learner so I crossed that bridge easily.

I had access to a work laptop and unlimited internet (all through my years in school, I didn't own a laptop , so this is a big deal for me). I thought of the limitless things I could learn online which I couldn't do before, I finally settled on my old time love, programming
(Flashback)
I started learning coding on my phone in 2017 but along the line, I got frustrated and stopped, it wasn't easy without a laptop. Then in 2018/2019, a man on Twitter started an initiative Laptop4Developers, which provided aspiring coders with laptop and a learning environment. NOTE : emphasis on "aspiring". It was the maiden edition and I joyously entered the DM of the guy, spoke at length, told him I was interested and he laid down the conditions of which he only told me I had to get sponsors and RT; people who were going to donate money. I solicited far and wide for support on Twitter. I was living and breathing on Twitter for more than a month , RTing all the posts and commenting, when I didn't even have data, I borrowed, in a hope that I'd win. I finally found someone to sponsor me and he donated money, albeit not enough money to buy a new laptop but he did . I checked the GoFundMe page, all other sponsors were foreign philanthropists.

Long story short, we even exceeded the target , and he increased the number of potential winners . I smiled knowing after all my hard work I was going to get one.
This was when magic happened. Lol

Thats the thing about lies. When you start, you just have to go deeper into it. You probably should have lied say a week in that your laptop was stolen or something and asked if they could help you get one you can use for the main time.

You were on Zuri, did you do any designs during that period that you posted online? If you have any keep them handy. Because you will be asked what you have done. Try coming up with some graphic design as quickly as possible. Since you don't have a pc, you can use canvas on mobile. Try to create as many designs as you can. And if possible build a story around it. Like for example you could say I used this colour to portray the light and fun essence of the brand and stuff like that. Interviewers really like good designs but they also like a good reasoning or story behind it.

Make at least 2 or 3 designs with this in mind. You should be fine. Also try to watch YouTube videos to relearn the basics of designs in case you are asked questions on it. Try learning the basics of one design tool. Maybe Illustrator, photoshop or something. As you may be asked which one you use.

Lastly you have to address your lack of pc. You can tell a lie with a little bit of truth blended in there. You can say it was stolen a few weeks after your conversation with the guy that referred you. And also add that you didn't say anything because you were ashamed just as you said you were initially in your post.

Try not to be too scared going to the interview, just relax they can't kill you. Highest you will be fired, and thats not the end of the world. Just go in relaxed state your case clearly don't over elaborate or explain things. Answer what is asked and end it there. Most times you dig yourself a dipper hole trying to over explain things. Try lieing close to the truth, it makes it easier to keep your story straight. Good luck you will be fine though so don't panic.
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 7:20pm On Jul 18, 2021
balingaonline:
Since you are a fast learner, you can go to nearest graphic designer and explain everything to him/her , on that Monday please don't go to office just use any available excuse and attend your private lesson, I think you would have had small idea to convince them, once you have hired you can continue with your lesson.
More also, YouTube is your friend

Hmmm, this is actually sounding appealing
I might fake an illness. Thank you
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2021
Willmichael:

@thatthickgurl

Lol. I also joined zuri, till now

Anyway. You can still fake till you make it.

First off, you have to convince them that you're still learning UI/UX, cos graphics and product design are two different things

Secondly, bury yourself in YouTube and Google between now and Monday morning. Learn everything about interviews and what you need to know. Watch a lot beginner videos on Design. This would give you what to say.
Watch a small video that you can practice along on figma. Then make sure to practise it, at least design two things before tomorrow. It would give you an edge, a air of small experience, and confidence that you know what you signed up for.

Once you ace the interview, you can still learn on the job, even within a week, vigorously.

You can do this, I know this because of what you did with the Twitter thing, living and breathing on Twitter.

Do same here..., with YouTube

If you have any specific questions, after you must have learnt some things, may be on colours, or grids, or style guides, whatever, just lemme know...

I'd be glad to help

I'm sending you a mail. I'm eager to continue from where I stopped on Zuri
Thank you
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 7:26pm On Jul 18, 2021
Sultan5:

Thats the thing about lies. When you start, you just have to go deeper into it. You probably should have lied say a week in that your laptop was stolen or something and asked if they could help you get one you can use for the main time.

You were on Zuri, did you do any designs during that period that you posted online? If you have any keep them handy. Because you will be asked what you have done. Try coming up with some graphic design as quickly as possible. Since you don't have a pc, you can use canvas on mobile. Try to create as many designs as you can. And if possible build a story around it. Like for example you could say I used this colour to portray the light and fun essence of the brand and stuff like that. Interviewers really like good designs but they also like a good reasoning or story behind it.

Make at least 2 or 3 designs with this in mind. You should be fine. Also try to watch YouTube videos to relearn the basics of designs in case you are asked questions on it. Try learning the basics of one design tool. Maybe Illustrator, photoshop or something. As you may be asked which one you use.

Lastly you have to address your lack of pc. You can tell a lie with a little bit of truth blended in there. You can say it was stolen a few weeks after your conversation with the guy that referred you. And also add that you didn't say anything because you were ashamed just as you said you were initially in your post.

Try not to be too scared going to the interview, just relax they can't kill you. Highest you will be fired, and thats not the end of the world. Just go in relaxed state your case clearly don't over elaborate or explain things. Answer what is asked and end it there. Most times you dig yourself a dipper hole trying to over explain things. Try lieing close to the truth, it makes it easier to keep your story straight. Good luck you will be fine though so don't panic.

Thank you very much
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2021
thatthickgurl:

Thank you

If you have a portfolio of your UI/UX design work feel free to show it. Go to YouTube and search for graphic design crash course. You'll be fine.
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Willmichael(m): 10:34pm On Jul 18, 2021
thatthickgurl:

Thank you

No wahala.
I'd see ur mail as soon as I have data, na free Opera I de so

Zuri was just pure UX anyway. Not much on UI, we had to figure that out ourselves, with YouTube and articles.

I hope you are ready for tomorrow sha?

1 Like

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 2:14pm On Jul 19, 2021
Helppppppp
Who's online
It's time for me to prove my worth
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Willmichael(m): 10:58am On Jul 20, 2021
thatthickgurl:
Helppppppp Who's online It's time for me to prove my worth
Lol. Unfortunately, nairaland doesn't have a notification feature
How did it go?
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 2:16pm On Aug 03, 2021
Update : after a few challenges which I navigated and maneuvered through the help of a nairalander, I was able to retain my job.
And I came clean to my boss that I can't use coreldraw, another nairalander is currently teaching me the basics of coreldraw.
I guess I should be fine

Thank you for all your concern

1 Like

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Haryoureendey4(m): 8:30pm On Aug 04, 2021
thatthickgurl:
Update : after a few challenges which I navigated and maneuvered through the help of a nairalander, I was able to retain my job.
And I came clean to my boss that I can't use coreldraw, another nairalander is currently teaching me the basics of coreldraw.
I guess I should be fine

Thank you for all your concern
Even modern designers don't use corel draw again...
I don't know jackshit about it and am a Graphics and Product designer.....
I used A.i, Photoshop, XD and Figma

So telling him that u don't use it isn't bad but good the way you are learning to use it

1 Like

Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 8:46pm On Aug 04, 2021
Haryoureendey4:
Even modern designers don't use corel draw again...
I don't know jackshit about it and am a Graphics and Product designer.....
I used A.i, Photoshop, XD and Figma

So telling him that u don't use it isn't bad but good the way you are learning to use it

What's AI?
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by Haryoureendey4(m): 9:33pm On Aug 04, 2021
thatthickgurl:

What's AI?
Adobe Illustrator
Re: I Might Not Have A Job By Monday by thatthickgurl(f): 9:43pm On Aug 04, 2021
Haryoureendey4:
Adobe Illustrator

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Designer(s) For Magazine Needed Urgently / I Need Help In Gettin Started In Video Editing / Pls Help Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.