Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,255 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

The Racist Tag On Social Media Applications. The Company Or Its Users? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Racist Tag On Social Media Applications. The Company Or Its Users? (170 Views)

Is Google Rewarding Its Users? / Sancoj Helps Its Users To Create A Meaningful And Purposeful Life. / Sancoj Providing Distributorship Offers To Its Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Racist Tag On Social Media Applications. The Company Or Its Users? by OneMarvee(f): 12:24am On Jul 18, 2021
Yesterday, I watched several videos of Instagram beauty influencers and social media users tagging applications like Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok and YouTube as racist. Dating apps are not left out too, even Omegle! ( A website where you can talk and have video chats with strangers).

This was majorly due to black content creators having less followers or engagement than their white counterparts.
Many "pro-black" internet users swore that these apps are trying to erase black beauty. They say social media is promoting white supremacy.

But sometimes I wonder, is it really the app or the users? Have people heard of algorithm? Do you know that, the types/pattern of content you constantly click on becomes "your" customized feed? I thought we all watched Social Dilemma?
I also watched a Netflix documentary that delved deep into the western dating pool and explained how black women are the most undesirable females on dating apps, which means they get less matches, less replies and less profile clicks.

I am not techy but I have understood that algorithm works in a way that, the pictures or videos with lower engagement automatically fall to the bottom. And I know for sure that companies are in the business of giving you what you desire, to earn your time or money.
So, is it the social media companies that are invariably pushing black contents aside or is it a result of our hypocritical choices?

I am open to thoughtful discussions about this.

Shower thoughts with OneMarvee- E1S3
Re: The Racist Tag On Social Media Applications. The Company Or Its Users? by olus01(m): 1:30am On Jul 18, 2021
undecided tongue sad cool

(1) (Reply)

Graduating Students Spotting "Cheated In Exam" Vest: My Viewss / Buy Kundan Multicolour Rakhi From Indiagift.in / Lumba Rakhi Online | Buy Lumba Rakhi | Send Designer Rakhi Lumbas For Bhabhi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.