Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,631 members, 7,955,311 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:14 PM

The First Housing Estate In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The First Housing Estate In Nigeria (1934 Views)

Juju Scare At Akure Federal Housing Estate Project (Photo) / Lagos Green And Eco-Friendly Housing Estate Unveiled (Photos) / Sanwo-Olu Completes, Commissions 492-flat Housing Estate In Igando (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 3:52pm On Jul 18, 2021
The first Housing estate in Nigeria was the Bodija Housing Estate, Ibadan.

The Ibadan Housing Estate was birthed in 1959 when the regional government decided to increase the number of modern houses available in the city. The Estate was built on a 400-acre of land in the area known as Bodija. At the time, the location of what is now Bodija was outskirt of the city of Ibadan.

All the houses in the Estate had all the basic amenities: light, water, garden etc; however the difference was in the number of rooms and the quality of materials used to build the structures and the architectural designs. The Estate project housed 3 types of structures for different classes of people.

The first type of houses were priced at £1,200 for lower income folks; and the initial deposit was £50. The second type of houses available in the estate project were houses priced at £1,650; and an initial deposit of £200 was required before the houses could be occupied. The third type of houses cost £3,000 and an initial deposit of £650 was required. As you may have guessed, the highest priced houses were the houses that were more than a story building.

Most of the houses were occupied by white-collar workers and professional people. Few persons in the older and more congested parts of Ibadan jumped on the opportunity of buying even the lowest priced houses.

The picture in this throwback post was the largest house available in the Estate and it sold for £3,500.

(Bodija Housing, c. 1959)
�: Nigeria Nostalgia Project (NPP)
�: Mabogunje: The Growth of Residential Districts In Ibadan (1962)

2 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by jrjfjfj: 3:56pm On Jul 18, 2021
God bless western nigeria
God bless Yorubaland

6 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 3:59pm On Jul 18, 2021
This was how you people trended first story building until proofs/evidences revealed that it is in Igboland.
Anyways, I will reserve my comment until due investigations then I'll get back to you people

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:00pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:
This was how you people trended first story building until proofs/evidences revealed that it is in Igboland.
Anyways, I will reserve my comment until due investigations then I'll get back to you people

You can do your research and stop saying what you don't know

1 Like

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:05pm On Jul 18, 2021
And this is a town some people will be comparing with thier yesterday town grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Asgard73: 4:06pm On Jul 18, 2021
Bodija.. very quiet and peaceful way back..

1 Like

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:
And this is a town some people will be comparing with thier yesterday town grin grin grin
This doesn't change that fact that Oba is far more developed than the whole of Ibadan.
Besides, Onitsha is almost 400 years older than Ibadan

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Asgard73: 4:08pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:

Oyo State is ghosted and deserted .. apart from few environment in Ibadan and of Ogbomosho.. the rest is nothing

I’m talking of the entir Oyo State and capital.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Asgard73: 4:09pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

This doesn't change that fact that Oba is far more developed than the whole of Ibadan
The DONT travel .. Dey still the believe as their grandfathers told them.. NBS statistics ain’t helping matters

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2021
Asgard73:

The DONT travel .. Dey still the believe as their grandfathers told them.. NBS statistics ain’t helping matters
They fool themselves and believe their lies that's why they are making mockery of themselves online

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:16pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

This doesn't change that fact that Oba is far more developed than the whole of Ibadan.

angry angry angry angry

Make I laugh you small

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:17pm On Jul 18, 2021
Asgard73:
Bodija.. very quiet and peaceful way back..

Still quiet and peaceful

1 Like

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:19pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:

angry angry angry angry

Make I laugh you small
Thanks for accepting without arguing blindly like your friends in the other trends that end up learning the bitter way

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Danzakidakura(m): 4:22pm On Jul 18, 2021
I get am before no be property .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:33pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

Thanks for accepting without arguing blindly like your friends in the other trends that end up learning the bitter way

I am not here to argue but to learn with fact

1 Like

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2021
Danzakidakura:
I get am before no be property .

Did you even know the usefulness of history?

3 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:

I am not here to argue but to learn with fact
If you can't afford to come to Oba and see for your self due to business or time, you can compare the two from their video in YouTube sha. The difference is clear. Oba is miles ahead of Ibadan in all aspect
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

If you can't afford to come to Oba and see for your self due to business or time, you can compare the two from their video in YouTube sha. The difference is clear. Oba is miles ahead of Ibadan in all aspect

Well, I am just hearing Oba for the first time on Friday due to Kubana party... But am always open to learn. I will check
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:39pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:

Well, I am just hearing Oba for the first time on Friday due to Kubana party... But am always open to learn. I will check
You are welcome
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Buckeyemedia1: 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

You are welcome
Where is Oba, what is the name of the University in the town (village)?

3 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:44pm On Jul 18, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
Where is Oba, what is the name of the University in the town (village)?
State = Anambra (for now)
University = Tansian
Thank you
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Danzakidakura(m): 4:44pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:

are you saying the your government don't know the important that they exclude it from your school time table ?
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Buckeyemedia1: 4:46pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

That village is ahead of Ibadan? Let me not waste my time on you this Sunday evening, tales by moonlight? Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

You guys were still living in mud huts at the time being talked about.

3 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:47pm On Jul 18, 2021
Buckeyemedia1:
That village is ahead of Ibadan? Let me not waste my time on you this Sunday evening, tales by moonlight? Nonsense.
No need arguing the truth my dear doubting Thomas. Oba is far ahead of Ibadan and there is nothing you can do about it for now or at least for the next 5 years until you start upgrading
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Buckeyemedia1: 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

State = Anambra (for now)
University = Tansian
Thank you
Please never compare a city to a town, you’ve been in the village for too long.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Anazp: 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

no need to reply tribal bigots like you who don't realize that the economy of Lagos State alone is larger than all the economies of the south eastern states put together

2 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

You guys are really entertaining with your tomfoolery. I'm still waiting for when you guys will come up with "Biafra TV was the first television station in Africa". Can't put anything beyond you clowns.

2 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2021
Oyinlomobambam:

They don't. Hang "ego" on a pig and they'll trample on their parents to please the pig.

2 Likes

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by BKayy: 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

You guys were still living in mud huts at the time being talked about.
This is Enugu decades before that year in the picture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Oyinlomobambam(m): 4:53pm On Jul 18, 2021
Danzakidakura:
are you saying the your government don't know the important that they exclude it from your school time table ?

YES because I always preach to remove religion studies and return history.

You talking as if you even believe in useless Nigeria government grin grin
Re: The First Housing Estate In Nigeria by Buckeyemedia1: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2021
BKayy:

No need arguing the truth my dear doubting Thomas. Oba is far ahead of Ibadan and there is nothing you can do about it for now or at least for the next 5 years until you start upgrading
This is how you know them, Liars, claiming other people’s property, Tansian University (TANU) is located in Umunya, Oyi Local Government Area, Anambra State, not Oba which is in Idemili South Local Government Area, una not get University for the village.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Tomorrow Sit At Home Order Has Not Been Cancelled" - Simon Ekpa / YORUBAS: Why Southern Unity And Not Western Unity? (NW/SW) / Since 1920s, Iddo Train Station Remains The Same

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.