Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record (1971 Views)

President Buhari Acknowledges Nigerians’ End SARS Outrage / Some Of Buhari’s Poor Relatives Have Become Billionaires – Buba Galadima / Shehu Sani Acknowledges Buhari Others As Men Of Integrity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by DefHQ: 9:34am On Jul 21, 2021
I fled Nigeria in June 2019 over threats of arrest for treason and incitement. My real offence was presenting Kakaaki Social on AIT

The Nigerian Government, its officials, members of the ruling All Progressives Congress and supporters of the President had a problem with me the presenter and the programme itself. They said I was using the platform to slander President Buhari and attack his government.

On a number of occasions, I was trailed on the streets of Abuja by unidentified men. At such times, my wife and I did not sleep at home. Several incidents occurred, some of which I reported to the management of AIT. This got to a point where the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission wrote a letter accusing the programme of treason and incitement.

Before then, I had received a letter warning me for laughing over a funny tweet about President Buhari. Within 48 hours after AIT was shut down, I received intel that I would be arrested by the DSS and framed up for treason and incitement. On June 11, 2019, I fled the country. But things only got worse in Nigeria with the disappearance of Dadiyata, and Alba Jalingo.

The news that I fled Nigeria after receiving intel had also become public. Fearing the worst, if I dared to return to Nigeria under the circumstances, I had to file for asylum. I thank God and I am grateful to the United States Government that my application for asylum was not just approved, but also in record time

Are there rules that you must abide by in order to maintain this visa status?

Of course. But more significantly, I would not be able to travel to Nigeria for a long time.

How come you felt a need to flee the country when you had never been arrested before?

I saw what happened to Jones Abiri and more recently, Samuel Ogundipe of Premium Times, who was arrested and detained for refusing to reveal his source of information for a report. I saw how Deji Adeyanju was arrested before the 2019 Presidential election and detained for over 70 days. I saw how Austin Okai was arrested by the DSS and kept in their custody for 21 days. These are people I know personally. They were lucky to get out as early as they did.

I saw clearly that Nigeria had become a country where anyone could get arrested or disappear for as long as the government wanted. I was a moving target and anything could have happened to me if I had taken the risk to sit back, despite the threats, warnings and intel that I received.

There is a lot I that cannot talk about because of the sensitive nature of the information I have at my disposal. I wouldn’t want to put the lives of innocent people at risk.

Treason is not a joke. It is an offence that carries the death sentence or capital punishment. A government that is persecuting you for the work you are doing as a journalist or activist can use this bogus charge of treason to mess you up for the rest of your life, even when they know they have no evidence to substantiate their claims in a court of law.

Buhari’s supporters are saying that no one was after you, but you were just desperate to travel to the US. Is it true?

No one was after me, yet the Nigerian Government sent a letter to AIT accusing my programme of treason and incitement, then followed it up by shutting down AIT on June 6, 2019. You see, Buhari’s supporters have registered themselves in our nation’s history as enablers of tyranny.

“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official,

If I am criticising Buhari, see it as evidence of my love and concern for the country he has misgoverned so much that Nigeria is now sharply divided along religious lines.

How would you rate the human rights record of the Buhari regime?

The human rights records of the Buhari government are abysmal. One finds it difficult to differentiate between this government and a military dictatorship. As Dr Kolawole Olaniyan, legal adviser to Amnesty International, recently put it, Buhari has violated 40 court rulings since he came into office in 2015, not to mention the escalating clampdown on freedom of expression, the persecution of Christian and Muslim minorities, among others.

Do you feel the NBC censorship of broadcasting in Nigeria is dictatorial?

Of course, it is dictatorial. The day I received a warning letter from them for laughing over a funny tweet about the President, I knew there was trouble Their current disposition to broadcasting in Nigeria is in line with the body language of the Buhari regime. And they are headed by a DG who is a card-carrying member of the ruling APC with an ongoing corruption case with the Federal Government.

2 Likes

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Penguin2: 9:38am On Jul 21, 2021
Trump was aware of Nigeria’s terrible record on human rights.

I don’t know of Biden.

The idiot is just another senile old man with amnesia.

3 Likes

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by chatinent: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2021
Mehn.. the world is gone.
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 9:44am On Jul 21, 2021
grin cheesy grin grin useless liar conned the US into giving him asylum.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by DefHQ: 9:51am On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:

Buhari's poor human right record, was the key factor in his case, and the USA had evidences to prove his case..

No dey reason like cow abeg,

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:52am On Jul 21, 2021
The Amnesty International seems to be mute in the face of all these calamities!

2 Likes

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Jostoman: 9:57am On Jul 21, 2021
A lot of people still don't know what some Nigerians are going through in the hands of this government.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Sincinnati: 10:02am On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:
Since 2012 I’ve known you on this forum, you’ve never made sense beyond religious Rulings in Islam, FatwAh, Ramadan, Taqqiya, jumaat, and jihad.

You don old finish yet no shame, no accomplishments.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Raydos: 10:04am On Jul 21, 2021
angry angry
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by ThEGodFaThEr104: 10:13am On Jul 21, 2021
Sincinnati:
Since 2012 I’ve known you on this forum, you’ve never made sense beyond religious Rulings in Islam, FatwAh, Ramadan, Taqqiya, jumaat, and jihad.

Egba mi nitori Olohun
See finishing.

11 Likes

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by ThEGodFaThEr104: 10:17am On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:
Mumu......keep your mouth shut jare!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 10:34am On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
ThEGodFaThEr104:

Mumu......keep your mouth shut jare!
[/s]

Did I ask for your teacher's comment on your last report card?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 10:35am On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
Sincinnati:

[/s]

Did I ask for a summary of your life's story?
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by ThEGodFaThEr104: 10:40am On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

Did I ask for your teacher's comment on your last report card?
Small pikin!
Àláyémáş'ànfàní

9 Likes

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 10:41am On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
DefHQ:

Buhari's poor human right record, was the key factor in his case, and the USA had evidences to prove his case..

No dey reason like cow abeg,
[/s]

Lol grin grin grin grin na so dey go claim na gaysters them be just to gain back door entry to the US.poor human nyash record kee maga

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 10:42am On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
ThEGodFaThEr104:

Small pikin!
Àláyémáş'ànfàní
[/s]

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by ThEGodFaThEr104: 10:46am On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

Sorry kid! Food is ready, now hurry up, don't be late and remember to thank your mum after eating.
Olounje Iya.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:

At your age, still sense is far from you? A fool at 40 is indeed a fool forever!!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 11:52am On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
HenryDion:

At your age, still sense is far from you? A fool at 40 is indeed a fool forever!!!
[/s]

I have no use for your current plight! cool
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Racoon(m): 11:57am On Jul 21, 2021
Buhari’s supporters have registered themselves in our nation’s history as enablers of tyranny.“Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official.If I am criticising Buhari, see it as evidence of my love and concern for the country he has misgoverned so much that Nigeria is now sharply divided along religious lines.

How would you rate the human rights record of the Buhari regime?

The human rights records of the Buhari government are abysmal. One finds it difficult to differentiate between this government and a military dictatorship.
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Richy4(m): 11:58am On Jul 21, 2021
Sincinnati:

grin grin grin grin

So you 've been a member of Nairaland before the popular Nairaland "crash"....Just forgive him

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Sincinnati: 4:49pm On Jul 21, 2021
Richy4:

grin grin grin grin

So you 've been a member of Nairaland before the popular Nairaland "crash"....Just forgive him
Lol �
That was around this time 2014 I think. When Barcanista was Nairaland PDP Spokesman grin

That crash made Seun remove symbols from usernames.
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Richy4(m): 5:44pm On Jul 21, 2021
Sincinnati:
Lol �
That was around this time 2014 I think. When Barcanista was Nairaland PDP Spokesman grin

That crash made Seun remove symbols from usernames.

grin grin grin grin
u have a good memory
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Militant30: 6:22pm On Jul 21, 2021
Buhari has a year and 10 months in Aso Rock,we will be alive to see his end.

Zombies can even relocate to Daura with him.

Nonsense artifacts.

1 Like

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by FakeUnity: 6:40pm On Jul 21, 2021
Sincinnati:

Chai see as you hammer vedaxcool muslim skull. E go pain am wellu wellu.

cheesy grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by bishop4life(m): 6:45pm On Jul 21, 2021
Bleep US.

Poor human rights records and they are still selling warcrafts to him?
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by vedaxcool(m): 6:48pm On Jul 21, 2021
[s]
FakeUnity:

Chai see as you hammer vedaxcool muslim skull. E go pain am wellu wellu.

cheesy grin
[/s]

grin grin grin ipob terrorists IQ are amazing when compared to the IQ of crustaceans.
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by FakeUnity: 7:14pm On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

grin grin grin ipob terrorists IQ are amazing when you compare to crustaceans.

Abokey muslim mugu dey blow grammar, write in hausa. Mr kufayakun!

grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by FakeUnity: 7:58pm On Jul 21, 2021
vedaxcool:
[s][/s]

grin grin grin ipob terrorists IQ are amazing when compared to the IQ of crustaceans.

Abokeyna, How bushy is your muslim ustaz beard?

cheesy grin
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by Crayfish09: 8:02pm On Jul 21, 2021
You mean the same criminals that repeatedly support apartheid in Israel? The same criminals that went to an illegal war that killed and displaced millions? same criminals that illegally arrest critics or those that challenge official narratives on 9/11 or the holocaust? same criminals that are always toppling or trying to topple regimes that oppose their hegemony? Same criminals that support dictators like MBS?

No nation on earth cares about human rights, just selfish interests. USA let you into their country because they felt like it.
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by ThatFairGuy1: 8:03pm On Jul 21, 2021
Igbos are known to be very uncouth
Penguin2:
Trump was aware of Nigeria’s terrible record on human rights.

I don’t know of Biden.

The idiot is just another senile old man with amnesia.
Re: USA Acknowledges Buhari’s Poor Human Rights Record by AntiBeEmCe(m): 8:35pm On Jul 21, 2021
ThatFairGuy1:
Igbos are known to be very uncoath

Eyahh... A c0w just learnt a new word, without learning the proper spelling. sad

If any tribe is uncultured, it is the parasitic tribe that trample upon the rights of others, and leave dirt, destruction and decay wherever they go.

Try to learn d spelling b4 putting such a heavy burden of memorizing a new English word on ur tiny brain.

(1) (2) (Reply)

“Come To Our Office To Discuss” – EFCC Replies Man Who Asks If He Can Do YAHOO / Retired Rear Admiral Festus Porbeni Backs New Navy Base In Kano State. / Peter Obi Will Score More Votes Than A SW APC Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.