Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,757 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out (499 Views)

Video Shows Girlfriend Attacking US-Based Nigerian 2 Months Before Killing Him / Thugs Are Attacking #EndSARS Protesters In Abuja, Close To Aso Rock / Armed Robbers Are Coming To My Street Tonight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by BornorBang: 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2021
Students of the University of Ibadan (UI) living in Agbowo area, an off-campus community in Ibadan are going through hard times as they continue to be victims of Armed robbers terrorizing the area.

Following the third wave emergence of the COVID-19 virus, many institutions have switch over to e-learning in a bid to curb the virus. To this effect, the Senate of the University of Ibadan (UI) gave approval for first semester lectures of the 2020/2021 session to be delivered online.

Also in respect to the plans in curbing the virus spread, the school authorities did not allocate halls of residence to students as a way of curbing the spread of the pandemic.

Many students of the institution were left with no options at all than to seek accommodation in neighboring communities off-campus.

These are certainly not the best of times for students living in Agbowo area in Ibadan. They now live in constant fear and panic of armed robbers, [url][/url] Correspondents revealed.

Agbowo is believed to be one of the most dangerous and violent communities around the university environment. The area is said to be notorious for several atrocities.

On a daily basis, there are either reports of stealing, kidnapping or killing and sadly, security operatives allegedly do not also respond quickly to residents in distress.

Chinedu Peter, a student of the institution who recounted his ordeal to [url][/url] in his apartment at Agbowo. He said, “It was demoralising how thieves come to our apartment and take away our belongings. They came around 1:40 am, early Monday morning. In fact, few weeks ago, they robbed some streets very close to ours.

” When I heard a loud bang, I jumped up, but didn’t know what was happening. Later I discovered those guys were here. They tried to break the door.

” My eldest brother was here at that time and he was sleeping but his leg kept hitting the door. They thought he wouldn’t let them in and you know that’s a red sign and by the time they were in one of them used a cutlass to hit him in the face.

“By the time they were gone, they took my phone, power bank and money,” he said.

Roseline Ezeh, a 300-Level UI student in the Faculty of Social Sciences had a similar story to share with [url][/url]. She narrated to [url][/url], “l really don’t know how it happened because I was sleeping. They got in through our window and four phones, laptops and money belonging to my roommate and I were taken away.”

But it was a different case for Morolake Adeyemi, a 300-Level UI student. She said when her house was raided by robbers, she was lucky to escape because her room was not touched,but the experience affected her mentally.

Morolake said, ” I was preparing for my next exam on July 3, when the robbers struck. That horrible experience left me in constant panicking.

“Luckily, my room was spared from the attack but by the time they left, my mental health was affected. I couldn’t read any longer and I just had to find a place in the school to read up before going for my examination,” she said.

Eniafe Odekunle, a 300-Level student noted that she and her roommate were not around when the robbers came to their lodge.

“My roommate and I weren’t around when they came. Though they broke into our room, they didn’t find anything. They only scattered the room and took my electric iron.”

Koyinsola Olusina, a 300-Level Psychology student in the Distance Learning Centre also spoke to [url][/url]. She said for fear of not being robbed, she comes home early to prepare for them.

“I ensure that I come home early enough and as well always prepared for them because I know they can come anytime.

“I keep valuable items to the extent that even if they come they can’t sense that anything is inside. I am hopeful in God that even if they come they can never get into my room.

Police not responding to our complaints, the UI Students cried.

When Adeyemi’s apartment was robbed, she noted that she reported the case to the Police in Agbowo,but nothing was done.

“We made a call to the police. My house is not too far from a police station and they didn’t come until after an hour by our calculation. When they arrived, we gave our report.

“Since that moment, we have been taking conscious efforts to secure our lodge ourselves to forestall a recurrence,” she said.

Ezeh, who was also robbed reported the case to the Police but she was disappointed that nothing was done. According to her, she paid N6,000 for investigation upon request by officers of Sango Police Station in Ibadan.

“We reported to Sango Police in Ibadan and they collected N6,000 for the investigation and thereafter nothing was done. It is disappointing,” she said.

https:///arm-robbers-are-attacking-us-off-campus-ui-students-cry-out/

Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by NairalandDoctor(m): 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2021
E don reach Una turn, the way crime is increasing on a daily in Africa is very worrisome, despite having the highest religious worshipers

Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by Tonyx5(m): 5:51pm On Jul 23, 2021
So high rn can't type shit
S/o to my g, slawomir
Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by BornorBang: 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2021
This is a very sad news. something should be done about it.
Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by epondudu: 7:21pm On Jul 23, 2021
The jungle justice should be implemented by the Senate A.S.A.P.
Oyo state as turned to hell lately. My colleague normally sleeps at work everyday and when I enquired he said they hardly sleep at night because armed robbers will visit .
Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by BornorBang: 8:10pm On Jul 23, 2021
epondudu:
The jungle justice should be implemented by the Senate A.S.A.P.
Oyo state as turned to hell lately. My colleague normally sleeps at work everyday and when I enquired he said they hardly sleep at night because armed robbers will visit .

What is Seyi Makinde doing about this? Ibadan use to be a very safe place in time past.
Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by Sixsigmahub: 9:21pm On Jul 23, 2021
NairalandDoctor:
E don reach Una turn, the way crime is increasing on a daily in Africa is very worrisome, despite having the highest religious worshipers

80% of them are hypocrites
Re: Armed Robbers Are Attacking Us Off Campus – UI Students Cry Out by Sixsigmahub: 11:42pm On Jul 23, 2021
BornorBang:
This is a very sad news. something should be done about it.

No one is even saying anything about it.

(1) (Reply)

Us-based Nigeria Doctor Paraded By Police After He Was Seen With A Gun. Disgrace / Brothers Kill Man While Trying To Abduct His Son / Chiwetalu Agu Was Seen At An Event Before His Arrest (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.