Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,478 members, 7,823,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status (12714 Views)

BREAKING: Jimi Agbaje, Lagos PDP Guber Candidate Defects To APC / Jimi Agbaje wins Lagos PDP Governorship Primary / Lagos: 2019 Jimi Agbaje Joins Governorship Race (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by bolaayenimo: 6:09am On Jul 24, 2021
Jimi Agbaje, two-time governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos State in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on latest developments in the polity and issues of governance in Lagos. Excerpts:

How best do you think the Federal Government should handle the case of Yoruba nation, agitator, Sunday Igboho who was arrested on Monday in Benin Republic?

Everything should be by due process. We don’t want a situation where we are becoming a police state where every measure of opposition is handled with a very heavy hand. The idea of chasing people around to me is not the best way to go. People run away from the law when they feel they will not get justice. If you feel that the way they even come after you is as if you are already guilty, then how can you get justice? For me, the Sunday Ighoho matter should be handled with due process. The Benin Republic government should do things properly so that we don’t have a repetition of what happened in the case of Nnamdi Kanu. Till today, we are not even clear as to how Kanu came into the country. But it is obvious that something is hidden and it did not follow the due process. That is why nobody has come out to tell us exactly what happened. We hope that due process will be followed in Igboho’s case. Everybody must feel that the law is even-handed. You are not guilty until so proven. Nobody is saying anyone who is guilty of a crime shouldn’t be prosecuted but justice, equity and fair play must be done and due process must be followed.

The Senate last week rejected the confirmation of Lauretta Onochie, President Muhammadu Buhari’s media aide as INEC commissioner. What is your take on that?

Well, I think that was the right thing to do. Whatever reasons they may have given for me is not the point at this time. The fact is that the National Assembly succumbed to the pressure from well-meaning Nigerians and even from the international community. I believe that is what strengthened the National Assembly to reject that nomination.

There are concerns that the President may re-present her for confirmation. Do you think that is possible?

I believe that if you look at the National Assembly on that day, like I said, the pressure is such that I’m not even sure I heard anybody supported her nomination when it was mentioned by the Senate President. It was a total rejection and I think that signal is very clear. If the president wants to help Lauretta Onochie, then they can find somewhere else where impartiality will not be an issue.

How will you react to the defections that have rocked your party in recent times, don’t you think it may impact negatively on PDP’s chances in the 2023 elections?

As general elections come, politicians tend to bring about self-interests in what they consider is in their own interests. The way it works normally is that the opposition party tends to lose membership at the beginning. Whereas, defections will also play out in the ruling party but because it is about self-interests, those in the ruling party still enjoys benefits which is the consequence of their defection. That is going to play out also as we get nearer the election where you will find that from the ruling party, people will also begin to defect. If you look back, that has been the trend. So, at the appropriate time, some people in the ruling party will also defect to the opposition. Of course, that is not to say that the PDP doesn’t have a role to play. The PDP must look inward and see how to hold on to their existing members and get more members to join the party. That is the way forward for the party. So, defection generally is for self-interests and if you look at those who have defected and the excuses they have given, you will find out that it has to do with self-interests.

The Southern governors few days ago issued a communiqué where they expressly stated that the Presidency must come to the South in 2023. Are you in agreement with them on this?

They didn’t say it must come to South. If you look at their communiqué, they said it is the turn of the South to produce the president in 2023 based on the principle of fairness, equity and peaceful co-existence, it should come to the South. It is not a shotgun demand. They are saying ‘we believe in Nigeria and equity. So, for that reason, the North has had its own share of eight years, then in that spirit, it should come to the South. It is not a take it or leave it arrangement. No, that was not the impression I get from their communiqué. Their communiqué was very clear and all those things they listed was based on that principle.

Coming to Lagos, are you impressed with the performance of the current of the current government in the state?

For me, I have always said that when you assess Lagos, you cannot be doing so compared to other states in Nigeria. Lagos is one of the mega cities of the world. Therefore, the way it is expected to be assessed is that it cannot be compared to other states in the country. The best way to assess Lagos is to look at the development indices that Lagos has been assessed on. Those indices are out there. When you talk about indices of the worst cities to live in the world, indices of developments and so on. So, for me, the indices are there for everybody to see. Lagos has a lot of work to do to be able to hold its own as one of the mega cities of the world.

Will you be contesting for governorship again in 2023 or have you given up?

Let’s put it like this, I think the state of our nation at this point in time, I am more concerned that things are not working as they should in our country at the moment, especially when you consider the issues of insecurity, poverty level and unemployment. I believe that our first challenge is how to hold our country together. In this part of the world, they said when trees fall on one another, you remove the one at the top first. That is my attitude at this point in time.

As for the issue of Lagos governorship, I think the first thing we should do is to get a lot of people out to come and vote. In the last governorship election in Lagos, only 18 percent of the population came out to vote, according to INEC statistics. It was the lowest in the country.

What was responsible for that poor figure and how can it be improved upon?.

We have cases of intimidation of voters, ballot snatching and other things that discourages the electorate from coming out to exercise their franchise. People must believe that their votes count and that is very important. That is why things like electronic transmission of votes begin to help, when you know that your vote counts. But if you have an impression that the actual figure will be different from what will be transmitted, then you don’t bother to come out. Also, good governance is very key. If people vote and those voted failed to deliver democracy dividends, then you will discourage them from voting in future elections. I think what matters is that the process must be open, transparent, free and fair.

Do you think the National Assembly handled the issue of electronic transmission of results well?

No, they didn’t. They have not shown that they are interested in deepening democracy in the country. I can’t even say now this is exactly what their decision was. I think it would have been better if they have fears, they should leave it to INEC to decide whether it is applicable or not. If you have a situation where there is 90 percent coverage, you don’t because of 10 percent throw out the entire system. At worst for the 10 percent, you can do manual. I strongly believe they should have left it to INEC as an autonomous body to decide whether it is possible or not.
https://independent.ng/national-assembly-not-interested-in-deepening-democracy-in-nigeria-jimi-agbaje/

4 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Monogamy: 6:10am On Jul 24, 2021
Customer daada ni... grin

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by bolaayenimo: 6:13am On Jul 24, 2021
where is helinues or he changed his moniker

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Lawlab3: 6:15am On Jul 24, 2021
Ok
Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Unsad(m): 6:21am On Jul 24, 2021
Used to like Jimi, don't know what changed.

Still buying bitcoins and all other digital assets at sweet rate and fast payment.

Tap in.
Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Sunnybay7: 6:21am On Jul 24, 2021
Jimi only speaks when election is around the corner. Even if this man wins election you only see or hear from him on special days like Sallah, Christmas,worker's day etc.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Tobinrobin(m): 6:21am On Jul 24, 2021
Lol
Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by mimilogistics: 6:22am On Jul 24, 2021
Great observation cool
Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Tobloc(m): 6:22am On Jul 24, 2021
Campaign style and format.

Trying to stay relevant.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by EKONGKING: 6:22am On Jul 24, 2021
You just cannot have only Lagos as economic center in a nation of over 200 million. They has to be minimum of one major city in each of 6 region of the country.
This is will eliminate the pressure on Lagos .
Lagos is well on its way to becoming a failed city due to constant influx of huge amount of people leading to huge pressure on infrastructure, environment there by effecting quality of life of average lagosians.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by kweensheba: 6:23am On Jul 24, 2021
You are on point, sir.

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Commentor: 6:23am On Jul 24, 2021
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Miosendyin: 6:24am On Jul 24, 2021
Yeye man

4 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by staphcures: 6:25am On Jul 24, 2021
Sunnybay7:
Jimi only speaks when election is around the corner. Even if this man wins election you only see or hear from him on special days like Sallah, Christmas,worker's day etc.
. Really ! Meaning he would have a Spokeman like .....

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by OfficialGaGa(m): 6:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Na wash oga

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by babniyen(m): 6:27am On Jul 24, 2021
This one has come again. Last minute politician.
Lagos is only a Megacity by population.....

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Aksegzy: 6:27am On Jul 24, 2021
Customer dada ni

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Lexusgs430: 6:28am On Jul 24, 2021
Jimi is back from hibernation....... Again...... cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Werbdesign: 6:32am On Jul 24, 2021
grin

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by fasho01(m): 6:32am On Jul 24, 2021
Seems this serial customer is looking to contest again

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by MrNipplesLover(m): 6:33am On Jul 24, 2021
Sunnybay7:

8 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Timoleon(m): 6:33am On Jul 24, 2021
EKONGKING:
You just cannot have only Lagos as economic center in a nation of over 200 million. They has to be minimum of one major city in each of 6 region of the country.
This is will eliminate the pressure on Lagos .
Lagos is well on its way to becoming a failed city due to constant influx of huge amount of people leading to huge pressure on infrastructure, environment there by effecting quality of life of average lagosians.

True. The burden on Lagos is more than it should be taken on. It adds to why it’s always looking like progress is not being made.

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Blessme4(f): 6:33am On Jul 24, 2021
Lagos is a glorified huge slum. There are countless of cities in Nigeria better than it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by whela(m): 6:37am On Jul 24, 2021
The work to be done is quite overwhelming, it could be done if they ve a good structure that works..

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by Chloraseptic: 6:37am On Jul 24, 2021
No Nigerian city is closed to being called a mega city

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by nairavsdollars(f): 6:42am On Jul 24, 2021
I disagree

Chloraseptic:
No Nigerian city is closed to being called a mega city

1 Like

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by n3xt(m): 6:43am On Jul 24, 2021
Lagos Nig. Ltd.

2 Likes

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by gazza07(m): 6:46am On Jul 24, 2021
Jimi the snail. Once election is on the corner, boom!, he will appear and start speaking grammars. Apc mole, same jimi that congratulated sanwo olu even before winner of election was announced

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jimi Agbaje: Lagos Has A Lot Of Work To Do To Maintain Mega City Status by boolet: 6:52am On Jul 24, 2021
gazza07:
Jimi the snail. Once election is on the corner, boom!, he will appear and start speaking grammars. Apc mole, same jimi that congratulated sanwo olu even before winner of election was announced
Nor mind am cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate / Thread For South South Igbos / The Marginalization; The Lies And The APC Culprit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.