Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Computer Glitch Fools 20,000 Immigrants Hoping To Win A U.s. Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Computer Glitch Fools 20,000 Immigrants Hoping To Win A U.s. Visa (780 Views)

220,000 Nigerians Apply For U.S. Visa In 2014 – U.S. Embassy / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Glitch Fools 20,000 Immigrants Hoping To Win A U.s. Visa by 2Rich4U(m): 3:22am On May 14, 2011
WASHINGTON -- For a few joyful days, more than 20,000 people around the world thought they literally had hit the lottery and won a chance to come and live legally in the United States.

Oops, the State Department said Friday, May 13.

There was a computer glitch, so they're going to have to do the annual visa lottery again.

The decision reopens competition for 50,000 wild-card visas for people who otherwise would have little hope of qualifying. About 15 million had applied, so it's good news for many people who thought they had lost.

But the glitch, which the State Department blamed on an in-house programming error, dashes the hopes of people like Max, a 28-year-old German man. He had recently checked a department website and found what he'd hoped for: Out of a random drawing with overwhelmingly long odds, he was one of the lucky few who might get one of the visas.

"It's like you won $100,000, and then they just take it away from you and it's gone," said Max, who would give only his first name for fear that full identification might jeopardize his chances in future applications.

The State Department apologized. "We sincerely regret any inconvenience or disappointment this problem might have caused."

The drawing, which the State Department calls the Diversity Visa Lottery, is an annual free-for-all established by Congress in 1994 to increase the number of immigrants from the developing world and from countries with traditionally low rates of immigration to the United States. Applicants do not have to have the usual family or employer sponsor.

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2011/05/computer_glitch_fools_20000_im.html
Re: Computer Glitch Fools 20,000 Immigrants Hoping To Win A U.s. Visa by kenny33: 10:42am On May 14, 2011
that computer glitch bad o
Re: Computer Glitch Fools 20,000 Immigrants Hoping To Win A U.s. Visa by kenny33: 10:44am On May 14, 2011
some of the luck people that have been given go even faint to hear that
Re: Computer Glitch Fools 20,000 Immigrants Hoping To Win A U.s. Visa by kenny33: 10:48am On May 14, 2011
i think sef make we leave all this USA, Uk wahala, make you people they migrate to other countries, But me i no go leave the uk now o has whether i like am or i know no like am i have to join my partner in uk

(1) (Reply)

Qatar Hotel Reservation / How To Get Nigerian Passport In South Africa / Visa Lottery Confused Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.