Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 (14449 Views)

Wayne Rooney, Patrick Vieira Inducted Into PL 2022 Hall Of Fame (video, Pics) / Olufunke Oshonaike Survives Ghastly Accident (Photos) / Funke Oshonaike: 3 Months To My Wedding, My Fiance Was Shot Dead In Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by robosky02(m): 9:50am On Jul 27, 2021
Funke Oshonaike poses with her award after her official induction into the ITTF Club 7.

…Joins Segun Toriola, three others as only ping pong players to compete at seven Olympics

Nigerian and African table tennis legend Olufunke Oshonaike has officially been recognised as a member of the exclusive club of ping pong players to have attended seven Olympic Games.

Oshonaike was on Monday presented with a plaque to officially mark her induction into the exclusive club, becoming the first woman to attain such an honour in the world of table tennis.

Only four other table tennis players – all of them men – had previously attained such Olympian heights since table tennis became an Olympic sport at the Seoul ‘88 Games.

Funke Oshonaike poses with Jörgen Persson, Zoran Primorac, Jean-Michel Saive, and Segun Toriola after her induction into the ITTF Club 7.

They are Jörgen Persson of Sweden (1988 to 2012), Zoran Primorac of Croatia and the former Yugoslavia (1988 to 2012), Belgium’s Jean-Michel Saive (1988 to 2012), and former Nigerian and African champion, Segun Toriola, who became the first non-European table tennis player to compete at seven Olympics when he competed at the Rio 2016 Games.

Toriola made his Olympic debut as a 24-year-old at the Barcelona ‘92 Games, four years before Oshonaike made her Olympic Games debut at the Atlanta ‘96 Games.

Speaking after receiving her plaque at a brief ceremony in which the other Club 7 inductees Persson, Primorac, Saive, and Toriola were in attendance, Oshonaike hoped the honour would “brighten the hearts of Nigerians.”

“I hope this award for me and my country, as the only girl in the seventh club in the world, and the only woman in Africa to have achieved the dream of representing her country at the Olympics seven times, will brighten the hearts of Nigerians.

“Funke is very happy. Thanks to Nigeria and thanks to the Minister,” she said, referring to Nigeria’s Minister of Youth Sports and Social Development, Sunday Dare.

“Though I might not have won gold, silver or bronze, but I have won what no woman in the world of table tennis has ever won. Thank God for the award – the 7 Club award. I’m a proud Nigerian [and I] hope more women will join me,” added the 46-year-old who was 20 when she played her first match for Nigeria at the Atlanta ‘96 Olympics in the women’s doubles, partnering Bose Kaffo in a match against Russia.

Oshonaike lost out in the first round in Tokyo, losing to Liu Juan of the United States in the women’s singles.

In this article:
Funke OshonaikeITTFOlufunke OshonaikeTable tennis at the Olympic GamesTeam NigeriaTokyo 2020

https://m.guardian.ng/sport/funke-oshonaike-officially-inducted-into-olympics-table-tennis-club-7/amp/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by rolams(m): 9:59am On Jul 27, 2021
Good one! Looking forward to seeing Aruna Quadri too.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by robosky02(m): 11:11am On Jul 27, 2021
A champion Worth celebrating

The first woman in the world

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Ugaboy: 12:46pm On Jul 27, 2021
I hope they bring home gold medals after this their publicity stunt

5 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by GreaterFuture(m): 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2021
Funmi Osho! Osho The Girl!
Welldone Sis

3 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by SEGLIZ: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2021
Congratulations to her.

yes you gladden our heart compare to the meaningless bbn or whatever it is.

some say this athletes are, they are in this competition for their selfish interest.

what then would they say about those three months prisoners in bbn house?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by arthurwillia(m): 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2021
With no medal
Let’s celebrate her though

At 45, she still fresh like this

7 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by amolak: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2021
This Olympic Nigerians dey chop beating like popcorn

1 Like

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by slawormiir: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Congratulations
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
nice one. congrats to her
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Cvclerk: 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
Okay
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by viqSmallz(m): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
Woman must stand like that take picture grin

2 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by hakym619(m): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
Sweet
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by adioolayi(m): 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2021
Without a medal ..not good enough.

Not easy though...well done

3 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by DropsMic(m): 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2021
Cool
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by osuofia2(m): 12:50pm On Jul 27, 2021
THE SOUTH WONT ALLOW US HEAR WORD BECAUSE OF THIS NOW
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Latakia(f): 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
Congratulations to her. Wish Nigeria what you wish yourself.

Those of you suffering and wailing on social media should better change your attitude towards the country. If you curse the country and wish her evil, then know that you are indirectly cursing and wishing yourself evil.
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by film3four: 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
Ok

Port Harcourt most beautiful tower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JKFQ_DYUo
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by iWasNotHere(m): 12:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
Dem don JA!!!!

Ugaboy:
I hope they bring home gold medals after this their publicity stunt
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by onyenatruchi: 12:52pm On Jul 27, 2021
Op, is she a Yoruba woman
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by emsco(m): 12:52pm On Jul 27, 2021
This woman never win Olympic medal and she has been to 7 Olympic. Time to give the young ones a chance

8 Likes

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by theTranscriber: 12:52pm On Jul 27, 2021
Nice

She must win a medal! angry
At least a bronze!
Make naija too chop medal na cry

Modified: As usual Nigeria don ja cheesy angry embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed cry

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Brushstrokes20: 12:52pm On Jul 27, 2021
Thumbs up funke.
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by GeneralPula: 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
Good one..
Goodluck to her
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
Thank God for the award – the 7 Club award.
I’m a proud Nigerian [and I] hope more women will join me,” added the 46-year-old who was 20 when she played her first match for Nigeria at the Atlanta ‘96 Olympics in the women’s doubles, partnering Bose Kaffo in a match against Russia.

Finally Finally.

Congratulations Gurl.

You ROCK kiss kiss kiss

onyenatruchi:
She's a Yoruba woman lipsrsealed
She got nothing to offer lipsrsealed

Shame on you and yours Onye.
Later, you will be wailing some people hate you,
Not knowing you keep bringing curses to your head on a daily basis,
And make people say rubbish about our region.
We wonder the kinda tins we share this noble forum with.
Spit

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Mustiboy(m): 12:53pm On Jul 27, 2021
This girl keeps wining
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by 4tomandchi: 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2021
Nigerians doing great everywhere only one man na him no pure.

No ask his name e dey London wear clothes like all those SA women wey d sweep road.
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 27, 2021
Re: Funke Oshonaike Officially Inducted Into Olympics Table Tennis Club 7 by onyenatruchi: 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2021
She's a Yoruba woman lipsrsealed She got nothing to offer lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lionel Messi To Miss PSG Clash With Metz Due To Knee Injury / Francisca Ordega Donates Wheelchairs To The Needy In Benue. / How Do We Play Cote D'ivoire - Suggestions And Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.