Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,412 members, 7,822,923 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Chelsea Goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga Apologises To Former Manager, Sarri - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga Apologises To Former Manager, Sarri (665 Views)

Chelsea Goalkeeper Kepa Fined £190,000 For Refusing To Be Substituted In EFL Cup / Chelsea Goalkeeper Kepa Releases Statement To Clear Up Strange Sub Situation / Angry Manager Sarri Finally Reveals Why Arsenal Beat Chelsea 2 – 0 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga Apologises To Former Manager, Sarri by ochuski(m): 9:52am On Jul 27, 2021
Kepa Arrizabalaga, Chelsea's goalkeeper, has expressed regret to the club's previous manager, Maurizio Sarri, for not understanding him during the club's Carabao Cup final defeat to Manchester City in 2019. This was said by Kepa after finally speaking about the unusual situation that occurred during Chelsea's Carabao Cup final defeat to Man City at Wembley Stadium two years ago.

After 120 minutes of goalless football, Chelsea was defeated 4-3 on penalties by Man City. When Kepa fell down injured late in the second half of extra time, Sarri called on goalkeeper Willy Caballero to replace him, but the Spain international refused to come off, saying he was fine. The altercation caused a brief halt in play before referee Jon Moss confronted Sarri and resumed play.

After more than two years, Kepa has written a thorough account of the incident for The Players' Tribune, admitting that he should have followed Sarri's orders. “Everything was a big misunderstanding,” Kepa explained. He continued, “In extra time, Manchester City dominated the game, and there was barely any time left until penalties. I felt something in my leg after making a save and phoned for physio to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Above all, I wanted to make sure that we could all catch our breath as a group. All of a sudden, I noticed that Maurizio Sarri had sent Willy Caballero to warm up. He assumed I wouldn't be able to continue. My main goal, right or not, had been to waste time in order to assist the team. I didn't have any major issues that would prevent me from continuing to play. I attempted to communicate that I was fine, that I wasn't hurt. But, given that we were at Wembley Stadium in front of almost 80,000 people, Sarri was certain to misunderstand me. I should have come off when the fourth official lifted the board, and I'm sorry I didn't. I was wrong, and I apologize to everyone involved, for Maurizio Sarri, whom I appeared to have belittled in public, for Willy, a teammate and a consummate professional, and for all my teammates and Chelsea fans who had to put up with everything - all the noise generated during the game and in the days that followed. I had a conversation with the boss, and we discussed how we each saw the situation and cleared the air.”

Source
Chelsea Goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga Apologises To Former Manager, Maurizio Sarri

Related News
Chelsea Prepare Bid For West Ham United Midfielder

Chelsea And Borussia Dortmund In Pursuit Of Sassuolo Attacker

Arsenal Agree To Chelsea's Striker Demands

Peart-Harris Leaves Chelsea For Brentford

Chelsea's Second Day Training Camp In Dublin (Pictures)

Transfer News: Chelsea Is Likely To Offer A New Deal To Defender After He Impressed The Club During Training

Transfer News: Eden Hazard offered To Chelsea

Top 10 Premier League Clubs That Have Made Most Money From Transfer Sales

Chelsea's 10 Biggest Transfer Flops Since 2000: From Adrian Mutu To Juan Sebastian Veron

Transfer News: Chelsea's Marc Guéhi joins Crystal Palace

Confirmed: Chelsea Hand Armando Broja New 5-Years Contract

Transfer News: Chelsea Considering Lewandowski After Failing To Secure Erling Haaland

Romelu Lukaku's Camp Gives Inter Milan Assurances Amidst Transfer Reports With Chelsea And Man City

Chelsea Transfer News: Olivier Giroud Set To Complete Move To AC Milan For £855,000 Initial Fee

Re: Chelsea Goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga Apologises To Former Manager, Sarri by Skmoda(m): 10:00am On Jul 27, 2021
Apology accepted on behalf of Sarri grin

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Goalkeeper, Kepa Arrizabalaga Apologises To Former Manager, Sarri by paulolee(m): 4:26pm On Jul 27, 2021
sarri dnt gv a fck...you disrespected him n it was too bad

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Football Advise / Nigeria Drops In Fifa Ranking / Will Ronaldo Be The World Best Player?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.