Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,551 members, 7,819,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:24 AM

3 Tiered Planter – Container Planting Ideas - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 3 Tiered Planter – Container Planting Ideas (319 Views)

The Machinery "Big John" Used For Planting Trees In Lagos (Photos) / Seed And Fertilizer Planter @reasonable Price / FarmLands For Crop Planting In Ogun State Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

3 Tiered Planter – Container Planting Ideas by atnerjennac24(f): 5:05pm On Jul 27, 2021

Do you have a spot in your garden that could use a dramatic focal point, or does your entryway need a bit of a pick-me-up? Or perhaps you’re short on space, and you need to plant “up” instead of “out.” No worries — whatever your garden needs or challenges, this project is for you.

I’ve been creating these triple decker planters for both myself and my landscape clients for years now, and it never fails to pack a punch in a small footprint. And the best part? You’re likely to have everything you need, aside from the plants, right at your fingertips.

Materials

3 planters in graduated sizes (One should be able to fit into the next larger size. I’ve used 24”, 16” and 8” terra cotta pots.)

Sturdy, empty black nursery pots (bricks or cinderblocks can be substituted)

Potting soil appropriate to the type of plants you are using

A variety of 4” plants, with one larger plant (quart or gallon size) for the top planter

A variety of topdressings appropriate for your plants (bagged decorative moss, pea gravel or smooth river rocks)

Directions

Place the largest container in its permanent spot — when it’s completed, this project can be a heavy one, so you won’t want to move it.

Take your inverted black plastic nursery pot and place it inside the largest container, then place your medium-sized container upright on top of that. This not only raises the 2nd container to its desired height and provides support, but takes up space so you are not forced to use expensive potting soil to fill up your largest container. Remember, you can also use stacked bricks or cinderblocks here.

Fill both the large and medium containers up with soil, stopping 4” below the rims.

Place the smallest container on the soil surface of the 2nd container, and halfway fill it with soil.

Now start planting in the rings that were created in the large and medium containers — 4” nursery sizes work well. Simply remove the plant from the nursery pot and pop it into the rings, and fill with soil in between the root balls. I like to push each root ball up against the next one for a tight fit, and for an instantly full and lush look. For the top planter, plant one larger specimen plant, or use a decorative element like a gazing ball or a seasonal pumpkin.

Now finish up by tucking in small handfuls of decorative moss, gravel or river rock in between the plants, completely covering the soil surface. This conserves soil moisture and provides a professional finishing touch.

Seasonal Ideas:

Fall combo: fall annuals for your area, with a pumpkin resting on a bed of moss in top container

Winter combo: cool season annuals with a rosemary cone topiary and tiny Christmas ornaments in top container

Spring/Summer combo: warm season cascading annuals with a smaller ornamental grass in the top container

Article by Jenny Peterson. Want some more great ideas? Check out this website: https://elliotthomestead.com

(1) (Reply)

Bunkasa Agritech: Live Price Update From Mile 12 International Market / Pineapple Farming, A Very Lucrative Business / Tips To Select A Fulfilling Career In Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.