Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools (15682 Views)

FG Flags Off Teacher Training Program To Reintroduce History In Basic School / Bill To Enforce Teaching Of History In Schools Introduced In Senate / Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by BinamRex: 3:03pm On Jul 28, 2021
When I read online that the federal government banned the teaching of History in schools because it didn't want Igbos to read about the Nigerian Civil War, I believed it hook, line and sinker, even though I am a northerner.

I little bit of research would have made me realized the truth, but I was ignorant. I believed what other people said without finding out if they were right or wrong.

A school I was recently employed to teach Computer Studies wrote NECO exam, and the subject was History. I felt so stupid when I saw the question paper. If the government banned history, why is NECO, a government examination body allowing people to write History?

What I noticed over the years is that students don't like history because the subject is bulky. There are lots of dates and events to cram in history, and most students don't want to stress their brains.

I asked around today, and I realized that even though my school doesn't offer History as a subject, other schools do. Students from other schools that didn't have a NECO center, registered to write the exam in mine.

From the look of things, it is up to schools to decide if they want to offer history as a subject or not. This has got me thinking. What other lies have I been believing?

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Bossman25(m): 4:25pm On Jul 28, 2021
Thanks so much for the insight.
The Government has purposely distroyed the Curriculum.
The new subjects brought in the scheme of things like example the glorified Civic Education which to me is totally baseless and ought to be scrapped and other subjects like Marketing? Biology or Agric Science which shouldn't be paired. No Further Maths, no Technical Drawing. Commercial student are now worse. It's either Commerce or Accounting? Scrapped Government which is more detailed than the Civic Education.
The subject combinations are all a mess. I am still baffled by the difference between Computer science and Data Processing?
That's why History was left out because the confused pattern of the subject combinations.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Mynd44: 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2021
Actually, the only folks that believe it are folks that want to believe it or just want to be anti-government (irrespective of president)

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by melaniaup: 4:27pm On Jul 28, 2021
Hh
Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by fenibak: 4:27pm On Jul 28, 2021
Pure lies from the pit of hell and if the fulanis wanted us to learn history why didn't they make it compulsory like pantami is making nin compulsory.

I would have started supporting biafra since when I was in primary school because Nigeria is a scam.

Imagine what I have learnt from Nigerian history myself, I discovered the fulani pattern. Nigeria is dead

Look at the father of Nigerian Bigotry in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izh1hhnd3O8

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Higgies(m): 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
Okay o
Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
From the look of things, it is up to schools to decide if they want to offer history as a subject or not. This has got me thinking. What other lies have I been believing?
As we always point out here on a weekly basis :
Rumors are spread by fools and believe by idiots.

We Rise!

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by sofeo(m): 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
Ok.
Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by LadySarah: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
When the schl curriculum is filled with the story of the colonial masters/other countries instead of our story like the civil war,the conquests,the benin invasions,our arts and crafts,the British royal Niger company shenignas etc then students will keep boycotting them for govt which is it's alternative.

The contents need to be revised,concise,educative and made compulsory.
Knowledge of our history would have prevented a second mistake like Buhari.
Btw,it was removed until 2019 when it was reintroduced.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Ebimor96: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
grin

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Franzinni: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
Haha....history is history in Nigeria...

2 Likes

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by brainpulse: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
History was band by the formal government but later released in the new curriculum under this governement

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Sleekmilan01(m): 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
You just open ya mouth waaaaaah and write nonsense

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by ubaobi: 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2021
History should be made a compulsory subject in secondary schools. A lot of the younger generation are not even aware of the country's history and thats why we keep repeating the mistakes our parents made in the past. Electing the same people that messed us up in the past and still expecting miracles. Continuing with the killings, corruption, nepotism, and tribalism of the past and still expecting that things will change for the better.

28 Likes

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2021
That's ipob propaganda for you. Everything they say is lies, lies, lies.

3 Likes

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Guyman02: 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2021
You didn't know when the current Ministry of Education announced the restoration of History in schools in 2019 following public outcry over the years but the curriculum is a well diluted history without key historical events.
I wonder how ignorant and lame posts keep making FP here, Seun needs to reshuffle his Mods and bring real informed intellectuals, this site is going down.

A History curriculum without substance, did you see anywhere in that thing how Alimi deceived Afonja who was garrison commander of the Alaafin, killed him and appointed himself as Emir of Ilorin or how Tiv Warriors ended the Jihad led by Uthman Dan Fodio in 1804?
Did they teach you how Gowon reneged on the Aburi Accord which partly led to the civil war or the counter coup of 1966?
Did they teach you how the Fulani jihadists came from Futa Jalon and took over Gobir (now called Sokoto) from the indigenous Hausa people under the guise of spreading Islam installing a Sultan who claims to be the head of Nigeria's Muslim population including Muslims in the South West?

http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2019/jul/03/nigeria-restores-study-history-public-schoolsabsen/

94 Likes 14 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by deedeemob(m): 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2021
I agree with ur reason as to why students have lost interest in history.
Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by KingsizeD(m): 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2021
If you like turn CIA or Agent Fash with your findings , what I know Nigeria Govt ban am.

2 Likes

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by hollywater: 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2021
Sleekmilan01:
You just open ya mouth waaaaaah and write nonsense
Don't mind the fool.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by maxjax(m): 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2021
angry
Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by toffyz(m): 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2021
Of course, it was never banned

Majority of students and schools just don't offer it anymore.

But there was never an official statement on the ban.
Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Jerryherd: 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2021
shocked

Ignorance of a Millenia

Is this the brain dead zombies we now have as black humanoid?!

Federal Ministry of Education sets school curriculum and subjects... And it was only 2019 history was re added

https://m.guardian.ng/features/re-introduction-of-history-and-matters-arising/amp/

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by Seniorwriter(m): 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2021
So what was done.....extraction?
SMH
brainpulse:
History was band by the formal government but later released in the new curriculum under this governement

Guyman02:
You didn't know when the current Ministry of Education announced the restoration of History in schools following public outcry over the years but the curriculum is well diluted history without key historical events.
A History curriculum without substance, did you see anywhere in that thing how Alimi deceived Afonja who was garrison commander of the Alaafin, killed him and appointed himself as Emir of Ilorin or how Tiv Warriors ended the Jihad led by Uthman Dan Fodio in 1804?
Did they teach you how Gowon reneged on the Aburi Accord which partly led to the civil war or the counter coup of 1966?
Did they teach you how the Fulani jihadists came from Futa Jalon and took over Gobir (now called Sokoto) from the indigenous Hausa people under the guise of spreading Islam installing a Sultan who claims to be the head of Nigeria's Muslim population including Muslims in the South West?
Exactly....
Jerryherd:
shocked

Ignorance of a Millenia

Is this the brain dead zombies we now have as black humanoid?!

Federal Ministry of Education sets school curriculum and subjects... And it was only 2019 history was re added

https://m.guardian.ng/features/re-introduction-of-history-and-matters-arising/amp/
A very toxic ignorant OP writeup!

@Seniorwriter

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Government Didn't Ban History In Schools by IamPlato(m): 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2021

Nigerians and false information are like Nigerians and p0rn... They just can't leave each other alone

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NECO 2019 Timetable For June/July SSCE Out - Check And Download Here / NUC Rejects Move By NBTE To Float A Programme To Upgrade HND To Degree / Student Sponsored By Amaechi Bags First Class In Marine Engineering In India(Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.