Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives (471 Views)

Tallest And Shortest Corpers In Enugu NYSC Camp (Photo) / Maggots In Food Served At Kebbi NYSC Camp: How True Is This Photo? / Soldiers Welcome Corpers To Kogi NYSC Camp With Their Luggage On Their Head (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 3:32am On Jul 29, 2021
The bus came late, it was very rickety in nature, and we all imagined, how it will ferry us up north, on a journey that would cost us almost 48hrs.
But compared to boarding AKTC bus for 22,000 we all kept quite and managed what our 12,000 could afford us.

On the road, we discovered that the driver did not even know the road to the north, not the popular Kaduna, not to talk of the road to Kano or the interior Jigawa state.
Omoh, the way we were asking people for road, if it were now, na we for waka for awa leg go tell bandits to kidnap us.

But God saw us through sha, missing our way, turning around and around like something turning_on_e_own, in kogi especially, we were just following any car, hopeful that it will lead us to a major known road.
Hmmm, it was night,and we knew we were lost, we were just looking for signboards to read, and checking them off the maps and doing that "state and capital"thingy to know which state we were in..
Alter all the "un-merry" go rounds, we came to a road, where an Abuja' frequenter among us recognised will lead us to Abuja, and we thank our stars, that we were back in civilization.

1 Like

Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 3:33am On Jul 29, 2021
From there, the road was more straight forward, we were told that we only had to go straight, and we will bust through Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa, and though we did not believe that our hellish journey will become so easy all of a sudden, it did turn out that the road like most northerners we encountered, was just straight forward.

In Abuja, we gold the driver to rest and continue in the morning, the driver did not want to hear any of that, he told us to get food for 20mins and be back or we will be boarding another bus to catch up, and that's how those behind slept while he drove, me and the guy in front we decided that we will have to keep the driver company and not join the snoring that was going on behind us.

We made good progress, eased past Kaduna,and by morning we were freezing under the cold in Kanu, it seemed as if the road will go on forever, we had been going on nonstop,and yet, every one we asked for direction kept on giving us that pitiable, "ehyaa una never start" look.

But then, weytin we go do, we drove through Kano, which seemed to be like passing through the 5 Eastern States,the journey seemed as if it will go on forever, and everyone we asked kept pointing into the sky in the horizon, telling us to drive on.

1 Like

Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 3:34am On Jul 29, 2021
Problem started when in Kano, the last village to Jigawa, nature came back for its pound of f̶l̶e̶s̶h̶ sleep, the guy next to me, was out, i was about to join him, when on turning to drop my phone, after which i could relax well well, to sleep, i saw that the driver too was busy dossing...

Omohhhh!! Na so the hotspot wey my village people bin dey tether to me disconnect, omohhh, sleep disengage totally, i do lough cough, knowingly, shocking both of them out of the doze, then i drew the guy next to me and told him to cast and bind his village people, that the driver too was tapping strong sleep,.
We then joined force to fight for our life o, we tried to giat the driver, but he was still dozing off, i asked the guy if he could drive and he said no, we asked the driver politely if we could stop and rest for an hour, na so the man say no, say, we are almost there... Almost where, road wey you no sabi? Almost where!! The place our village people draw for map say we go stop?almost where!?! God punish you, and them�omoh, na so we tell other member of the bus of the plans of our village people for us, say good no follow for am atal, say our driver dey sleep like pregnant woman..

2 Likes

Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 3:35am On Jul 29, 2021
Na so dem begin dey para for the driver, but the guy no jus send, him go just comot head from car the look road, like say the windscreen dey opaque, say im no fit see, omohh, my heart dey run fast, na so i dey reason say weda na like this e go end?! Omohhh, the guy sef begin dey dance, dey play music join, omoh de thing wan funny me, but i coke dey reason say weda my life bin be comedy may, d time wey dem wan drive me like lamp to the slaughter, i go dey laf? Omohhh, i bone up, e hungry me to just get power seize the driver beat up, but omoh, who go, go drag steering with driver with person for highway.
Na so i humble, dey beg the guy on code, as my life come dey plan back in slow motion, i come remember say i still be virgin, i never even go law skol sef, o, and my papa no tey wen im die, so na so i go go meet am, i never even go law skol, then collect call to bar go give am? Omoh, as i dey think plenty, na so i see say our bus dey leave im lane dey go another lane, and say one mack truck dey come,

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 3:35am On Jul 29, 2021
Omohhhhhh, i turn, in the split of nano seconds, look driver, dey guy dey doze, spit dey drizzle from im mouth, i turn look road, dey Mack truck dey add speed as if say we dey dare am, omohhh, na so, I shout,
Na im the driver wake look road, see as dey tramadol drinking, red eyed Mack truck driver, dey close in for the kill, na so the driver swerve comot, mehnnn na soo, i jus heave sigh of relief, and as i turn back look driver, i see say the adrenaline pump from close shelf with death bin dong clear im eye..
The guy's eye was now shining, but i still wanted the car to stop, but the stubborn goat no gree, we were hoping to come by a police check point and report him,but omoh, we no see shadow of check point from Kano to Jigawa,something wey person for see like 200checkpoint for South.

1 Like

Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 3:36am On Jul 29, 2021
By Gods grace, we got to Fanisau in one piece, and it was there that the driver told us that he had just arrived from driving from Lagos to Uyo, the very morning he took us on our two days journey.
I have been to Lagos and factored in, how a man was driving for 3days with no sleep,
And at that point, i realised that there were no witches and wizards with tank of blood for innocent lives at Christmas, that it was rather the greed of most drivers, rushing to make two to 3 turns, before resting that was culprit.

Omoh, at that point, I had the biggest phobia for ever travelling long for long distance, and throughout the whole of my service year, i did not dare to venture back on the road for anything as i stayed the whole year planning on paying for flight if need be on returning home.

P.S: My heart goes out, to all those, who lost their lives on their way to camp, no one knows at the moment what really went wrong, but i believe that after all these years in existence, NYSC Should put up credible nationwide shuttle services, for moving Corps members, to and from camp, especially for those posted for long distance.

3 Likes

Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Qwertyuiop1: 3:38am On Jul 29, 2021
Reading
Re: Uyo To Fanisau Nysc Camp:drivers Greed And Recklessness Almost Cost Us Our Lives by Benesis: 1:14am On Aug 02, 2021
Lalasticlala this thread no follow merit front page ni, come read for yoursef sir

(1) (Reply)

NYSC PPA In Oyo West LGA / NYSC 2022 Batch A Remobilization / Nysc Age Limit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.