Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

An Eye For Eye - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / An Eye For Eye (1053 Views)

The Roving Eye / Syrian Government Forces Punched Obama At The Right Eye / This Made Me Laugh: Saudi Cleric Favours One-eye Veil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Eye For Eye by cold(m): 10:50am On May 15, 2011
TEHRAN: The court-ordered blinding of an Iranian man who hurled acid in the face of university classmate Ameneh Bahrami has been postponed, the ISNA news agency said on Saturday without giving a source.

The sentence had been scheduled to be carried out at noon on Saturday at the judiciary hospital in Tehran in the presence of a physician and representatives of the coroners’ office and the prosecution.

“The execution of qesas (retribution in kind) of Majid Movahedi has been postponed to an unknown date,” ISNA reported on its website just hours before the appointed time.

Movahedi was sentenced to be blinded in both eyes in February 2009 for having hurled acid in the face of Ameneh after she repeatedly spurned his offer of marriage.

His victim, who has been the driving force behind the sentence, had travelled to the Iranian capital from Spain in the expectation of it being carried out and had even suggested she was ready to do the blinding herself.

“I still strongly stand with the carrying out of the qesas. I want qesas, I will become more serene,” she told ISNA on May 11.

“This serenity will not stem from the culprit suffering hardship and pain but that (with the carrying out of the sentence) there is the probability of more deterrence regarding those who want to commit this crime,” she said.

The Islamic sharia code in force in Iran provides for eye-for-an-eye-style retributive justice, most commonly for murder.

Bahrami, who was 24 when she met Movahedi in 2002, now lives in Spain where she has been undergoing medical treatment for her disfigurement for years. She is blind in both eyes and still has serious injuries to her face and body.

[url]http://www.dawn.com/2011/05/14/iran-eye-for-an-eye-acid-attack-punishment-postponed.html
[/url]

So far,Human Rights groups have been pleading with the Iranian govt & the woman to show mercy & halt the punishment.What's your take on this one?

Re: An Eye For Eye by cold(m): 10:51am On May 15, 2011
A human rights group has called on Iran to cancel the sentence of blinding a man who was convicted of throwing acid in a woman's face, the Daily Telegraph reports.
A court sentenced Majid Mohavedi to have acid dripped into his eyes in retribution for pouring acid in Ameneh Bahrami's face in 2004 after she spurned his offers of marriage. She was left blinded from the attack.
Amnesty International is calling for a halt to the sentence, sayings its too harsh.
"Regardless of how horrific the crime suffered by Ameneh Bahrami, being blinded with acid is a cruel and inhuman punishment amounting to torture," an Amnesty International spokesman told the Daily Telegraph.
Iran has postponed Saturday's blinding sentence of Mohavedi, Reuters reports.
"The punishment of Majid was scheduled to be carried out on Saturday at a hospital but it has been postponed," Iranian news agency Fars quoted an unnamed official, according to Reuters.
Bahrami wants the sentence to be carried out.
"The verdict is completely legal and I would like to carry it out," she told the Telegraph.
She has gone several operations since the attack which left her severely disfigured.
Under Iran's Islamic law, retribution is permitted in cases of bodily harm.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/05/14/human-rights-group-calls-iran-cancel-sentence-blinding-man-acid/#ixzz1MPgNA3LS
Re: An Eye For Eye by Phate07(m): 12:52pm On May 15, 2011

He should also lose both hands. Fuckin psychopath.
Re: An Eye For Eye by pleep(m): 12:36am On May 29, 2011
Look at how he ruined her face. angry This is the punishment he diserves. Cruel and unusual punishment for a cruel and unusual crime.
Re: An Eye For Eye by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 29, 2011
“I still strongly stand with the carrying out of the qesas. I want qesas, I will become more serene,” she told ISNA on May 11.

“This serenity will not stem from the culprit suffering hardship and pain but that (with the carrying out of the sentence) there is the probability of more deterrence regarding those who want to commit this crime,” she said.

-----

That is probably true. If people had to endure the same pain and suffering their victims endured, crimes would probably reduce. I'm not a supporter of inflicting pain on others as consequence, but jail time hasn't solved anything in the US. Some prisoners prefer jail than the outside world, imagine. So for the bolded reason, I'd agree with qesas. Human rights groups and activists should not be rushing to protect a violator of human rights lol, especially not in this case when her crime was denying him her hand in marriage.
Re: An Eye For Eye by MandingoII(m): 9:09pm On May 29, 2011
He should also lose both hands. Fuckin psychopath.

WORD!

its some fugged up people walking this planet.
Re: An Eye For Eye by NegroNtns(m): 9:07pm On May 30, 2011
Amnesty and Human Rights are mouthpiece for political ideologies and their goal is to market and install the Western cultural ideas and lifestyles as the "normal" for all of mankind everywhere.

I am surprised they have not made the act of "disvirginity" -where there is visible blood from the forced penetration- an act of human rights violation. I guess they are waiting on the "womens lib" in America to declare it and then thereafter, any guy that disvirgins a girl would be in violation of human rights.

@ topic,
I once saw a documentary telling about a widespread social problem in India. A man marries a woman and soon after if he finds her unpleasant, he will douse her with falammable fluid and set her on fire. The intent is to kill her. If she survives, he follows up with a divorce from her and send her back to her parents, disfigured for life! Charges were brought but the men were never prosecuted. So it became pervasive and a common practice.

Mankind is innately capable of learning; "associative learning"! If its not painful we are likely to repeat the act. if its painful, we are, <Fill in the blank>

This guy should be blinded!!!

If amnesty and human rights feels stongly about justice and saving the world, let them start in American jails and prisons, its plenty political prisoners locked up for crimes they knew nothing about.

If rapists would be bent over and subjected to same indignified and tortourous pain their victims suffered, there wouldn't be repeat offenders and the number of first time ofFenders will likewise be very small.

He blinded her, she should blind him. Period!

(1) (Reply)

Massive Man-hunt For Three Terrorists Plotting A Truck Bomb Attack On New York / Ghana: President Atta Mills Dies In Accra / America Builds Up Its Military Presence Around Libya For A Possible Attack.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.