Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change (24175 Views)

Naira Depreciates By ₦‎81/$ At Foreign Exchange Market / It's Not Our Intention To Defend The Naira - Cardoso Speaks On Foreign Reserves / Falling Naira: EFCC Raids Bureau De Change Firms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by CrispyLiz(f): 7:01pm On Jul 31, 2021
FOREIGN EXCHANGE, BDCs AND CBN GOVERNOR'S POLICY SOMERSAULT

By Dr. Adeola Adeyemi

It is quite pathetic and worrisome the recent foreign currency policy somersault of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) under the leadership of its Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele. The policy which is that CBN will stop giving BDCs foreign currency is capable of completely destroying many businesses and households. This anti-economic cum financial policy is coming amidst obvious economic challenges occasioned by poor financial policies of CBN, economic recession and COVID-19 pandemic.

It would be recalled that the country slipped into economic recession few months after Emefiele assumed office as CBN Governor in 2014. Since then till date, Emefiele has shown that he lacks the knowledge and experience to turn around the country's economy and finances for good.

One can say without mincing words that for Emefiele, being the CBN governor is all about making policies about foreign exchange that will be of personal benefit to the banks and his paymasters in foreign exchange related businesses to the detriment of the economy and the rest of Nigerians, especially the middle class and downtrodden.

This is not surprising considering that Mr Emefiele was appointed into CBN from Zenith bank. So, it is a case of him protecting his personal interest and that of his allies in the banking sector without minding the adverse multiplier effect on the citizens and economy at large. Zenith bank which has phobia and hatred for anything Bureau De Change became so strong and comfortable with Emefiele's elevation. Zenith bank as early as the inception of Bureau De Change never agreed to open a corporate account for BDCs. It doesn't also issue instruments in favour of BDCs. This is the prejudice and bias Mr Emefiele took to the CBN. Upon assumption of office as CBN governor he made nonsense of domiciliary account by putting in place policies that took Nigerians backwards.

Domiciliary account holders would travel abroad with their foreign exchange debit cards only to find out that they could only access maximum of $300 in a day. The cost of hotel accommodation, feeding and others is none of Emefiele's concern or worry. A lot of micro, small and medium business enterprises that hitherto put money together and import a forty feet container have been put out of business as a result of deliberate policies of banks supported by CBN to frustrate them and their businesses.

This is in an environment that unemployment is fuelling all sorts of problems and increasing crime rate.

The CBN before now has been hitting the BDCs below the belt. The apex bank would just pick some BDCs at random and sanction them and make them pay #5m each for an offence only known to the CBN. The latest allegation against the BDCs is that they are laundering money. What is the volume of foreign exchange given to the BDCs as a percentage of the whole. It is very insignificant and infinitesimal amount.

Assuming without conceding that some BDCs launder money, is that enough reason for CBN to put the entire people in the sector of the economy out of business without weighing the grave consequences? Is there no way CBN can curb such illicit activity if any exist? A Bureau De Change employs at least four persons. Each person has at least four dependants. It is clear that to the CBN governor, there is nothing wrong in throwing away the baby with the bath water.

It would be recalled that Prof. Charles Soludo was at a time the governor of CBN and the economy thrived. Please can someone advice Mr. Emefiele to search his office filing cabinet for some memos by Prof Solude, especially those that relate to foreign exchange policies . No doubt, Mr Emefiele will learn some lessons.

Today the exchange rate of dollar to naira is #515 as against the #503 few days ago that the BDCs were in operation. So even out of business BDCs are still making the exchange rate to go up?

Haba, Emefiele and his team should wake up from slumber and hallucination and proffer lasting solution to the financial cum economic woes of the country. BDCs are not the causes of rising inflation and dwindling economy. They should not be used as sacrificial lamb by Emefiele and CBN. BDCs have been supportive of the CBN policies and country's economy. They have provided succour and assistance to the people when it mattered most. They are genuine and legal business entities like every other one in the country.

Shutting the door behind them means adding more woes to the country's dwindling economy. It is time the leadership of the country call Emefiele to order because he is completely destroying the fragile and struggling economy of the country which he had failed to fix since emerging as CBN Governor. Silence is not golden at this point. It is not only about the BDCs, it is about Nigerians and survival of their economy.

Adeyemi, an economic analyst writes from Broad street Lagos.
http://saharareporters.com/2021/08/01/central-bank-governor%E2%80%99s-policy-somersault-foreign-exchange-bureau-de-change-dr-adeola

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by GreaterFuture(m): 2:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
Everything is Political, I hope it ends well

If only I could get Sure Sellers, if only I could just Get Sure, real, genuine Sellers Here in Lagos
I need Sure Sellers, CASH or Inflow, good rates

Pls if you have, hit me up via my signature

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by YoungLionone: 2:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
WhiteMoney for the money, who they breath?

1 Like

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Diurez: 2:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
They will be alright las las

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by 22o62021: 2:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
I did not understand anything

5 Likes

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by abhosts(m): 2:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
Joseph Sanusi and Charles Soludu are best ever CBN governors.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by faithfull18(f): 2:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
To where, there are always two sides to a coin. What favours some may not favour the others.

10 Likes

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Sholaco: 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
cheesy
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by KingOfAllIgbos: 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
grin

Emefiele.... miracle center graduate.

Olodo! Worst ever CBN Governor serving worst ever quota system President.

Jeez!

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by olaremint(m): 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
Na lie oga, which economy that dollar was nose diving. See people hawking and selling dollars to mallam in the guise of BDC. Anuofia

12 Likes

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by babyfaceafrica: 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
Story
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2021
Emefiele is a super dunce, despite their daft initiatives on FX, dollar still dey rise like garri.

4 Likes

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Tinshu: 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2021
Infact
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by oluseyiforjesus(m): 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2021
Somersault like jet Li
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by yusluvad(m): 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2021
This one too don gbagaun. Well, Nigeria will be great in our lifetime...
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 19, 2021
Seen

Stupid bastard
MY QUESTION IS THAT WHERE IS EDUCATED NIGERIANS _____

1 Like

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by LegitDeals247: 2:14pm On Aug 19, 2021
X
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by ceeplusltd: 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2021
Honestly the way this thing is going, I'm 100% sure dollar will hit 600 before December. The system is too corrupt.banks are hoarding dollar and the BDCs are hoarding dollar too.go to bank you can't get dollar because the staff are hoarding it for their customers who will dash them huge money after approving your BTA/PTA. Imagine since Monday I applied for PTA,until now no show because the staff handling my application know I will not give her shishi if I get the PTA. Very big shame undecided.this country is finished cry

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Benrichard(m): 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2021
He jus a stooge for Jim ovia
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
Behind so the policy confusion are dumb ass politicians pulling the strings for their selfish reasons
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Ayo2004: 2:16pm On Aug 19, 2021
We are finished

I believe Buhari and his boys are deliberately doing this in order to reduce the power of the naira compared to dollars hence less Nigerians will not have the economic power to japa while their loot in US banks increase when they want to spend it in Nigeria

In my next life,if I come as a Nigerian,I go carry knife for hospital chook myself

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by headbasher96(m): 2:17pm On Aug 19, 2021
Since all of Una na stolen monies una the use e no the affect Una na only legit hustlers the suffer the thing bihari if Una like make Una share money for street I no understand this government from day one some time I the reason say na sambisa pattern Una the use rule sef thats by the way how fa with obi OMA tailor Abba carry na abi Afghanistan problem don block everywhere make the talk that one ma o notherners ma the run street no be only this side o
Re: Emefiele’s Policy Somersault On Foreign Exchange, Bureau De Change by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 2:18pm On Aug 19, 2021
Some people think it is only Hausa that is dealing in Bureau De Change but that's not correct, the CBN policy is not in the right direction. Is like frying pan to fire, the bank will definitely hoard dollar and BDC can not run out of business

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ukraine Crisis: Russian Ruble 30% Low After Latest Sanctions / First Bank Main Market Onitsha On Fire (Live Pictures) / China Coronavirus: Apple Temporarily Closes All 42 Stores In China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.