Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Macbook Pro Is Overrated. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Macbook Pro Is Overrated. (4735 Views)

Macbook Pro 5 For Sale / What Can I Do With 2020 Macbook Pro? / Taking A Loan To Buy A Macbook Pro 2018. Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 31, 2021
Quickly l want to share my experience on my latest baby.
But first, a little introduction about me

I have been coding professionally from 2016 and hobbyist since 2013 with top tech firms. And since 2008 as begineer. Learning continues.

I have used a variety of PCs. My first coding box was an Acer Aspire One mini laptop with 1Gb ram and 128hb HDD. Those good old days.

My hunger for processing power started in 2016 and I used a Work allocated HP probook. It's slow because of HDD and 8Gb ram.

I switched to a 2015 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon in 2017 (World thinnest laptop then) at another workplace. It had i7 vPro and 256 SSD, 16Gb DDR3.
With 16 hours battery life of doing heavy stuff, I didn't use to take the charger home after work.

I got a personal Lenovo T450 in 2018 with 16Gb DDR3 and 512GB SSD, 6 hours double battery (internal and external), i5 2.3GHz and it goes up to 2.9GHz. Pretty a little beast as the 4 cores can maintain turbo boost speed for infinity without throttle.

I dropped my work PC by this time and used my T450 for both work and personal stuff ever since. Pretty simple.

Well a few weeks ago , I got tired of always operating at 95% to 100% on processor full power while I am working. Slow builds, etc

What I do for a living.
I build cross platform mobile apps (iOS and Android). I also do backend, desktop, and create xbox apps as well. All with dotnet and dotnet core (C#).

The most frustrating part of my life is waiting for up to 7 minutes sometimes for a build job to complete.
Building Android package takes forever, etc

I was getting tired day by day and all I was told online is to get a Mac and all my problems will disappear.

I hate macs actually. Not just macs but anything Apple.
Hmm. I always choose Windows PC over Macs at my workplaces over the years and I pick one to shortly use only whenever I need to compile an iOS app.

So I decided to do some research and check up the latest in Apple Mac lineup.

Hmm. I also have a few personal iOS apps to build now so, it made sense to get a Mac.

I went to Apple USA site and saw that M1 has only 16gb Ram. Shai.
I got a good custom order of 2TB, 16GB Ram M1 Pro for 2200 and I was ready to checkout with only 300 on taxes. Its free shipping to my USA address.

Well, I changed my mind the next day due to the limitations I read about. Plus the 16gb ram thing. I felt it wasn't an upgrade from my lenovo even though it was from DDR3 to a high DDR4.

I decided to go for the Intel versions which were far more expensive. About 3600 for my spec. 32Gb Ram and 2TB SSD with 4Gb radion vega pro.

I did this and researched about the VM choices on Mac. I was ready to pay for parallel until I discovered VM ware has a free personal license for Fusion 12 Pro. So I got the license.

So, Las Las, I didnt buy from Apple. I went to Mac store in shoorite, Ikeja and played with that M1. Hm.. I didn't like it. ARM should be left for mobiles please.

I called my iPhone vendor at computer village and told him I needed a Mac with my spec.
The guy previously sold me a brand new iPhone SE 2020 which I used to test an iOS app I built last year.
I dropped the phone in my trolly after the project. My Samsung is just good enough.

I waited an hour and I got my brand new fuckup baby. This one no be machine.
32Gb Ram, 1Tb SSD, 15.4" 4Gb Radeon Vega Pro and 8 cores. The base Core i9 speed is 2.3Ghz as well and can go up to 4.8Ghz.

I upgraded to BigSur and downloaded 60Gb heaven on earth. Basically all my Dev tools. XCode and Visual Studio (not code).

Then I created the VM and installed latest Windows 10. I gave Windows 10 8gb Ram and 3 cores out of my 8.

I cloned a few of my current projects. I configured all Non desktop apps to Mac and left Windows VM only to build Xbox apps and WPF.

I was installing Slack, Any Desk, Docker (plus sql server. I started it ), and a ton of other communication tools I use including Skype.

Well, the Mac began to hang Seriously.
I shut down the VM and the mac hanged completely.

I had to Google how to force shut down on the touch bar from my phone. It was embarrassing as I was actually speaking (presenting) on a Microsoft Teams meeting when the thing hanged and didn't recover.

I no fit cry and I was regretting buying the tool. I think I should have gotten an 8Gb 256Gb M1 for 600k which is significantly cheaper than half of the cost for my purchase.
I could have used a small M1 only for iOS apps and then get a Windows Machine of my spec.

I can bet that Lenovo Xtreme with such spec would never fail me.

I have been using the mac like a little baby ever since the hang. I quickly close anything I do not use.

It's just feels like a piece of pricy crap to me.

Performance :
I can't deny that it's significantly faster than my T450. Hmm. But it's about 12 times the cost as well. Lol.
The processor has used only up to 23% utilisation when I place a reasonable load and I am building.

IO operations on SSD is extremely fast. Like its extreme.

My build time has reduced from 4-7 minutes to 3 to 20 seconds on average for Android ; a speed I never saw on my T450.
For Desktop apps on the vm, I sometimes experience 1 second build. Or Immediately sef. Which was 3-4 minutes on my Windows.

Battery life :
10 hours was advertised for the product.
I think those hours are based on endurance and not while on performance mode.
It hardly spends 4 hours before 3% is left. Due to my stuff, the two fans are mostly on I can feel the hot air blowing out.

Keyboard :
I actually tried avoiding to buy a product with butterfly keyboard. This one has it though.
My fingers have adjusted quickly and I can type as fast without looking at the keyboard. Only a few keys left to get accustomed to with my index finger.

Overall
I don't like the fact that I can't use so many things at one like I used to do on Windows.

So my advice to me: I won't buy the incoming M1X. My next purchase will definitely be Windows.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Bilabong(m): 10:27pm On Jul 31, 2021
grin
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by spartan117(m): 11:00pm On Jul 31, 2021
You should have gone for the M1 if you search online you will find that M1 out performs most intel core i9 processors considering the fact that it's just the first release of that product line and is clocked at 3.5ghz max as against 5.0 you find on most core i9s. It's also up to 80% more energy efficient and infact according to Apple it was designed to work in a fanless laptop.

For now the future is looking bleak for intel with the advent of the M1 chip.

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by frowland(m): 11:54pm On Jul 31, 2021
@Ovaltine, if you have a startup idea, PM me so we can talk.
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:19am On Aug 01, 2021
I had a mac but sold it for a gaming laptop. I can't really notice the difference in speed but men I miss the battery life of the Mac. Gaming pcs have really shit battery life. Op maybe you should look at the ryzen chips for your next purchase.

3 Likes

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Chuukwudi(m): 2:33am On Aug 01, 2021
Your program runs for 7 minutes and you said it’s frustrating. Joker!!!

Ask a Machine Learning guys how many days (if not weeks) it takes to train a convolutional neural network for instance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:13am On Aug 01, 2021
Chuukwudi:

Ask a Machine Learning guys how many days (if not weeks) it takes to train a convolutional neural network for instance.
This is something else. My friend has a laptop worth 700k with an rtx 2060 and men it takes hours to run basic models o. I shudder when I see people dabbling into data science with 50k laptops. It's a pure waste of time. Even plain react or backend frameworks become really frustrating coding on low end laptops.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by VCodes: 1:39pm On Aug 01, 2021
So what do you guys suggest now? Was even thinking on buying probably the m1x...

And again Op I think you should try the 2019 MacBook pro and see how it goes because, that m1 Mac,I saw some reviews on the m1 Mac on YouTube ,some software developers said its not fully stable for to run some programming applications
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Chuukwudi(m): 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

This is something else. My friend has a laptop worth 700k with an rtx 2060 and men it takes hours to run basic models o. I shudder when I see people dabbling into data science with 50k laptops. It's a pure waste of time. Even plain react or backend frameworks become really frustrating coding on low end laptops.

My laptop is more than that yet it still takes time. There is nothing wrong going with a 50k laptop if you can afford to pay for Google Colab Pro or AWS then run your stuff on their remote computer.

If not for portability sake, The best thing is for one to build his/her own desktop computer from scratch.

RTX 4090 is out.

4 Likes

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2021
Chuukwudi:

My laptop is more than that yet it still takes time. There is nothing wrong going with a 50k laptop if you can afford to pay for Google Colab Pro or AWS then run your stuff on their remote computer.

If not for portability sake, The best thing is for one to build his/her own desktop computer from scratch.

RTX 4090 is out.
Better desktop na money o. With one million you never even get 3080 and yet 4090 is out. Omho
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by ReactJs(m): 7:05pm On Aug 01, 2021
Serious i'm so happy to see someone else saying this thing cuz i was starting to look like a crazy person when i tell my friends a macbook cant be my primary laptop.
I currently use a windows laptop but a buddy of mine that's not even a programmer bought the m1 chip macbook pro with 16gb ram 256ssd.. Just this afternoon, he sent me a screenshot of his 2 month old macbook telling him "Your system has ran out of application memory".

On a normal day, i run about 8-9 kubernetes clusters at once and one of the things i hate most in the world is if a system is hanging.. kills my productivity. Should be getting a new laptop before the month runs out and i've made up my mind that i'm gonna get a dell xps 17

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Deicide: 8:20pm On Aug 01, 2021
Wait o where una day see money buy all this laptops grin

10 Likes

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Chuukwudi(m): 8:29pm On Aug 01, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Better desktop na money o. With one million you never even get 3080 and yet 4090 is out. Omho

It’s not expensive brother that’s If you’re really buying it because you need it. If it’s just to game you’re buying it for, or you’re buying it just to have it, it’s a complete waste.

3 Likes

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 01, 2021
spartan117:
You should have gone for the M1 if you search online you will find that M1 out performs most intel core i9 processors considering the fact that it's just the first release of that product line and is clocked at 3.5ghz max as against 5.0 you find on most core i9s. It's also up to 80% more energy efficient and infact according to Apple it was designed to work in a fanless laptop.

For now the future is looking bleak for intel with the advent of the M1 chip.

Hnm. Energy efficiency is cool.
However this is the very issue I had with some highend HP machines. The motherboard doesn't allow the processor use more than 30 Watts.

I don't care about the energy saving or battery life that much. All I expected was to run all I needed at once and this piece of crap won't allow me.

The main reason i didn't go for M1 was the ARM wahala. Its a fair bargain of specs tho. I can't use the 16gb ram which is maximum.
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 01, 2021
frowland:
@Ovaltine, if you have a startup idea, PM me so we can talk.

Maybe. I am into some stuff already tho.
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Aug 01, 2021
Chuukwudi:

I heard of such saga with ML.
I have a cinematographer who uses GPU to render stuff.

His spec is a maxed out Mac. 64Gb Ram, 8Tb SSD and the Radeon is maxed out as well.

Yet, he spends sometimes more than 30 minutes on lengthy high Dev videos.

Me can't wait that long o. Na dem job sha
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:24pm On Aug 01, 2021
VCodes:
So what do you guys suggest now? Was even thinking on buying probably the m1x...

And again Op I think you should try the 2019 MacBook pro and see how it goes because, that m1 Mac,I saw some reviews on the m1 Mac on YouTube ,some software developers said its not fully stable for to run some programming applications

I got the early 2019 na. You didn't get my gist fully.
It just starts hanging when a lot of stuff is running.
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Aug 01, 2021
Chuukwudi:

RTX 4090 is out.

Building stuff is cool. Be ready to become a driver guru. Else, BSOD go become your hourly friend.

1 Like

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 01, 2021
ReactJs:
Serious i'm so happy to see someone else saying this thing cuz i was starting to look like a crazy person when i tell my friends a macbook cant be my primary laptop.
I currently use a windows laptop but a buddy of mine that's not even a programmer bought the m1 chip macbook pro with 16gb ram 256ssd.. Just this afternoon, he sent me a screenshot of his 2 month old macbook telling him "Your system has ran out of application memory".

On a normal day, i run about 8-9 kubernetes clusters at once and one of the things i hate most in the world is if a system is hanging.. kills my productivity. Should be getting a new laptop before the month runs out and i've made up my mind that i'm gonna get a dell xps 17

I dey eye that XPS. However, Lenovo Xtreme and Surface Laptop 4 is on my mind
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 01, 2021
Deicide:

Read Proverbs 18:16

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 01, 2021
ReactJs:

I currently use a windows laptop...

On a normal day, i run about 8-9 kubernetes clusters at once and one of the things i hate most in the world is if a system is hanging.. kills my productivity. Should be getting a new laptop before the month runs...

What's your current PC maker, model and spec?
Also what spec are you looking to get?
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by dake40(m): 9:40pm On Aug 01, 2021
I actually love Macbook due to their strong batteries, unique designs, screen resolutions and cool keyboards.

But not a fan of IOS but Windows. Installed windows on my macbook and it's been fun
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 01, 2021
dake40:
I actually love Macbook due to their strong batteries, unique designs, screen resolutions and cool keyboards.

But not a fan of IOS but Windows. Installed windows on my macbook and it's been fun

Butterfly keyboard ( small travel) is not cool.

Do you use bootcamp?
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Chuukwudi(m): 11:48pm On Aug 01, 2021
Ovaltine:

Building stuff is cool. Be ready to become a driver guru. Else, BSOD go become your hourly friend.

I'm actually a Linux person. We are known for fixing and customising things. It won't be a big deal.

2 Likes

Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Chuukwudi(m): 11:51pm On Aug 01, 2021
Ovaltine:

I heard of such saga with ML.
I have a cinematographer who uses GPU to render stuff.

His spec is a maxed out Mac. 64Gb Ram, 8Tb SSD and the Radeon is maxed out as well.

Yet, he spends sometimes more than 30 minutes on lengthy high Dev videos.

Me can't wait that long o. Na dem job sha

Handling high-resolution videos is not a joke.
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by nurain150(m): 6:38am On Aug 02, 2021
Ovaltine:
Quickly l want to share my experience on my latest baby.
But first, a little introduction about me

I have been coding professionally from 2016 and hobbyist since 2013 with top tech firms. And since 2008 as begineer. Learning continues.

I have used a variety of PCs. My first coding box was an Acer Aspire One mini laptop with 1Gb ram and 128hb HDD. Those good old days.

My hunger for processing power started in 2016 and I used a Work allocated HP probook. It's slow because of HDD and 8Gb ram.

I switched to a 2015 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon in 2017 (World thinnest laptop then) at another workplace. It had i7 vPro and 256 SSD, 16Gb DDR3.
With 16 hours battery life of doing heavy stuff, I didn't use to take the charger home after work.

I got a personal Lenovo T450 in 2018 with 16Gb DDR3 and 512GB SSD, 6 hours double battery (internal and external), i5 2.3GHz and it goes up to 2.9GHz. Pretty a little beast as the 4 cores can maintain turbo boost speed for infinity without throttle.

I dropped my work PC by this time and used my T450 for both work and personal stuff ever since. Pretty simple.

Well a few weeks ago , I got tired of always operating at 95% to 100% on processor full power while I am working. Slow builds, etc

What I do for a living.
I build cross platform mobile apps (iOS and Android). I also do backend, desktop, and create xbox apps as well. All with dotnet and dotnet core (C#).

The most frustrating part of my life is waiting for up to 7 minutes sometimes for a build job to complete.
Building Android package takes forever, etc

I was getting tired day by day and all I was told online is to get a Mac and all my problems will disappear.

I hate macs actually. Not just macs but anything Apple.
Hmm. I always choose Windows PC over Macs at my workplaces over the years and I pick one to shortly use only whenever I need to compile an iOS app.

So I decided to do some research and check up the latest in Apple Mac lineup.

Hmm. I also have a few personal iOS apps to build now so, it made sense to get a Mac.

I went to Apple USA site and saw that M1 has only 16gb Ram. Shai.
I got a good custom order of 2TB, 16GB Ram M1 Pro for 2200 and I was ready to checkout with only 300 on taxes. Its free shipping to my USA address.

Well, I changed my mind the next day due to the limitations I read about. Plus the 16gb ram thing. I felt it wasn't an upgrade from my lenovo even though it was from DDR3 to a high DDR4.

I decided to go for the Intel versions which were far more expensive. About 3600 for my spec. 32Gb Ram and 2TB SSD with 4Gb radion vega pro.

I did this and researched about the VM choices on Mac. I was ready to pay for parallel until I discovered VM ware has a free personal license for Fusion 12 Pro. So I got the license.

So, Las Las, I didnt buy from Apple. I went to Mac store in shoorite, Ikeja and played with that M1. Hm.. I didn't like it. ARM should be left for mobiles please.

I called my iPhone vendor at computer village and told him I needed a Mac with my spec.
The guy previously sold me a brand new iPhone SE 2020 which I used to test an iOS app I built last year.
I dropped the phone in my trolly after the project. My Samsung is just good enough.

I waited an hour and I got my brand new fuckup baby. This one no be machine.
32Gb Ram, 1Tb SSD, 15.4" 4Gb Radeon Vega Pro and 8 cores. The base Core i9 speed is 2.3Ghz as well and can go up to 4.8Ghz.

I upgraded to BigSur and downloaded 60Gb heaven on earth. Basically all my Dev tools. XCode and Visual Studio (not code).

Then I created the VM and installed latest Windows 10. I gave Windows 10 8gb Ram and 3 cores out of my 8.

I cloned a few of my current projects. I configured all Non desktop apps to Mac and left Windows VM only to build Xbox apps and WPF.

I was installing Slack, Any Desk, Docker (plus sql server. I started it ), and a ton of other communication tools I use including Skype.

Well, the Mac began to hang Seriously.
I shut down the VM and the mac hanged completely.

I had to Google how to force shut down on the touch bar from my phone. It was embarrassing as I was actually speaking (presenting) on a Microsoft Teams meeting when the thing hanged and didn't recover.

I no fit cry and I was regretting buying the tool. I think I should have gotten an 8Gb 256Gb M1 for 600k which is significantly cheaper than half of the cost for my purchase.
I could have used a small M1 only for iOS apps and then get a Windows Machine of my spec.

I can bet that Lenovo Xtreme with such spec would never fail me.

I have been using the mac like a little baby ever since the hang. I quickly close anything I do not use.

It's just feels like a piece of pricy crap to me.

Performance :
I can't deny that it's significantly faster than my T450. Hmm. But it's about 12 times the cost as well. Lol.
The processor has used only up to 23% utilisation when I place a reasonable load and I am building.

IO operations on SSD is extremely fast. Like its extreme.

My build time has reduced from 4-7 minutes to 3 to 20 seconds on average for Android ; a speed I never saw on my T450.
For Desktop apps on the vm, I sometimes experience 1 second build. Or Immediately sef. Which was 3-4 minutes on my Windows.

Battery life :
10 hours was advertised for the product.
I think those hours are based on endurance and not while on performance mode.
It hardly spends 4 hours before 3% is left. Due to my stuff, the two fans are mostly on I can feel the hot air blowing out.

Keyboard :
I actually tried avoiding to buy a product with butterfly keyboard. This one has it though.
My fingers have adjusted quickly and I can type as fast without looking at the keyboard. Only a few keys left to get accustomed to with my index finger.

Overall
I don't like the fact that I can't use so many things at one like I used to do on Windows.

So my advice to me: I won't buy the incoming M1X. My next purchase will definitely be Windows.
As have always said iPhone and MaC are overrated piece of cake that are so damn useless, I don't even like MAC interface, I hate windows either
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by nurain150(m): 6:39am On Aug 02, 2021
As have always said iPhone and MaC are overrated piece of cake that are so damn useless, I don't even like MAC interface, I hate windows eithe
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by valzey(m): 7:40am On Aug 02, 2021
I also got a new 2019 MacBook pro. But I got it because I needed a Unix compatible machine that worked out of the box as WSL had successfully frustrated the hell out of me and I didn't want to dabble again in the world of Linux distros.

The heaviest thing I do with the Mac is running docker and kubernetes related stuff and it does not hang on me.
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by LeonMacJames(m): 3:50am On Aug 03, 2021
ReactJs:

dell
XPS 17 availaboo for sale when you're ready�
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by Najdorf: 5:06am On Aug 03, 2021
Deicide:
Help me ask oh abi am I the one that is poor?
Re: Macbook Pro Is Overrated. by SonyaSpence: 11:10am On Aug 04, 2021
Ever since I bought my brand new Lenovo Flex with the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Chip paired with a 16GB dual channel DDR4 RAM, I have not recorded a single lag on that PC. All with just $600

With less than what you spent on that overpriced toy, you could have gotten a full fledged machine With a 32GB RAM and the AMD Ryzen 4700U or higher.

You'll be fine multitasking and doing whatever you wanna do.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Recommended To Have A Successful Career In Web Development / What's Your Favourite Text Editor? / Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.