Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,607 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know (12444 Views)

What Buhari Told Amaechi, Igbo Leaders About Nnamdi Kanu’s Release – Adesina / We’ve All Failed, Stop Fighting Only Buhari – Bello Warns Southern Governors / I Will Kill Anybody Who Tries To Disgrace Me Before Buhari– Bello Kogi Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 03, 2021
blackmantis:

Do you know all Taxi cabs pay tax everyday?
Do you at all motor parks money is collected? What is it used for?
Do you know that all signboard displayed in the fct must pay tax?
Do you know that every shop in all markets, plaza, etc pay tax to the fct?
Do you know tenement rates is collected from landlords in the fct?

The fct generates revenue, the question should be what is the revenue generated used for?

At the end of the day, it isn't enough.

Probably not up to half of what we need to run a first class capital city.

Keep in mind that the tax rate is not as high as in other countries...where they can collect half your income in taxes.

2 Likes

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 03, 2021
Yungmil:
Did you just say we are poor....Nigeria?

Go back to sleep then wake up and modify

Our budget in 2019 was 27 billion dollars

South Africa, in the same year, spent 23 billion dollars .....on education.

We ain't rich. Rich nations are nations that export industrial products. Not countries like us that produce one product whose price we don't control

3 Likes

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by summerflame(m): 8:38am On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

This is a sentiment I agree with...but at the end of the day, we would have a million and one things to spend the money saved on...like primary school education for example.

God bless you.. in my own opinion, law makers shouldn't be collecting up to the half of the salary they are paying them presently.. they have nothing doing in the house than shouting and Fighting ...

1 Like

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by blackmantis: 8:41am On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

At the end of the day, it isn't enough.

Probably not up to half of what we need to run a first class capital city.

Keep in mind that the tax rate is not as high as in other countries...where they can collect half your income in taxes.

You might be right though....
But I believe that there is still room for improvement.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Kay25(m): 8:46am On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

It is one thing to set up street lights, another thing to keep them well maintained and functioning...which requires things like taxes, taxes, taxes...and more taxes.
that's true but naija has never been good at anything
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 03, 2021
Kay25:

that's true but naija has never been good at anything

Depends. We can have good essential services if we are ready to pay the high price for them
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by eldoradoxx: 8:54am On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

More like FCT does not have enough money, and there is looting too.

FCT used to raise money from parking meters to supplement its income some 8 years ago, until someone got a court order to stop it.

Also, we don't pay something called a council tax. Many cities in the UK...residents pay something called a council tax which can be as high as 85,000 to 100000 naira. (I know, Nigeria cannot be compared to the UK eh, we are poor)...but that money goes into providing essential services such as street light, transport, etc.

The oyel money that we all rely on is not enough for all of us. Which is why you that is shouting Hausas and Fulani...is your state capital well lit all over? The reason is simple...there isn't enough money to do the job.(apart from Lagos maybe, and even Lag is not well lit all over). Because your tax to gdp ratio is too low and because the oil price has not been high enough to sustain us for nearly 9 years, if not longer.

States and the FCT need to be innovative in raising money not just for streetlights , but for public services, especially in the cities. And Nigerians too need to put pressure on their leaders to make sure the money is used well to ensure that their cities are run well.(The court case I referred to earlier may have stopped corruption in the parking meter system, but then it also threw out the baby with the bathwater)

(This is not a supporting Buhari message...personally, I think the minister of FCT should be more of a professional than a polticial somebodi. APC continued with the same old same old.Ironically, the last really good FCT minister we had was El-Rufai.)
The revenue FCT generates from land administration alone when u hear of a piece of land in choice location going for billions of naira alone can fix all the street lights in Abuja
Abuja's problem is very simple, in 2015 Buhari replicated his incompetence in Abuja by appointing a man that has no business being a Minister of FCT, since then the city has been in a sorry state. It is not money issue that is disturbing FCT, it is the Buhari brand; incompetence

2 Likes

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 03, 2021
eldoradoxx:
The revenue FCT generates from land administration alone when u hear of a piece of land in choice location going for billions of naira alone can fix all the street lights in Abuja
Abuja's problem is very simple, in 2015 Buhari replicated his incompetence in Abuja by appointing a man that has no business being a Minister of FCT, since then the city has been in a sorry state. It is not money issue that is disturbing FCT, it is the Buhari brand; incompetence

Maybe, but Abuja had street light issues even before APC took over...and the current guy's predecessor was not too impressive either (apart from the parking meter idea)

Also, Abuja's problems go way beyond street lights...we need better public transport, better traffic lights, and so on. That's where improved tax revenue should come in.

As much as i don't like the APC government (you will soon see why), revenue from oil under their regime has been ver very low...even as low as us losing over $90 per barrel ..due to prices for oil being low. (APC government knows that, but won't diversify, nor raise the taxes revenue.).This affects money coming to the FCTA for development.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Bimpe29: 9:05am On Aug 03, 2021
It's really an apparent indication of failure on the part of the government.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Kay25(m): 9:09am On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

Depends. We can have good essential services if we are ready to pay the high price for them

I will glad to pay more if the services are available and constant to use but u know the stories here it won't work yet you pay for it
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by eldoradoxx: 9:11am On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

Maybe, but Abuja had street light issues even before APC took over...and the current guy's predecessor was not too impressive either (apart from the parking meter idea)

Also, Abuja's problems go way beyond street lights...we need better public transport, better traffic lights, and so on. That's where improved tax revenue should come in.

As much as i don't like the APC government (you will soon see why), revenue from oil under their regime has been ver very low...even as low as us losing over $90 per barrel ..due to prices for oil being low. (APC government knows that, but won't diversify, nor raise the taxes revenue.).This affects money coming to the FCTA for development.
I have lived in Abuja for close to 20 years now. I can tell u this, Bello is the worst Minister FCT has had in 20yrs. It is not about oil revenue, FCT is not broke to maintain ordinary street lights, the man doesn't care. Even the street light that lead to the official quarters of FCT minister is not working. Under former regimes even if there was no light in people houses, you are sure that the streets were well lit, those days are gone. 80% of FCT is in total darkness at night.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by UndilutedFaxt: 9:55am On Aug 03, 2021
abeloureal:
They’ve seen capital cities and how they are not moved by those ones to actually implement a change in their own cities still baffle me

My guy, this has baffled me for the last decade.
I think this is pure wickedness and selfishness, coupled with I don't care attitude
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by akigbemaru: 9:56am On Aug 03, 2021
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by zzbrodah: 10:21am On Aug 03, 2021
zanshi:
You put Hausa Fulani in vital ass positions and you expect to see development

You can't give what you don't have...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by hedonido: 10:34am On Aug 03, 2021
FamTomx2:
undecided

Abuja Is A Shadow Of It's Self Since PDP Left Power,
No significant development since APC took power, if you are in Abj in the past fifteen years or so you will understand what am insinuating...

Most infrastructural developments in Abj today are from the former ruling party..

APC has no clue of what good governance is all about... not ready for it yet, no single overwhelming project from them, unstable folks, sad shocked

Gone are the days when one is proud of coming and living in Abj.

A lots of government enforcement agencies everywhere making the lives of people miserable. undecided

You have no idea how badly our beloved Abuja has deteriorated under the demonic regime of this idiot called Buhari and his band of les incompetents. It is beyond sad. Abuja that used to be the closest thing to heaven on earth in Nigeria during those glorious Obasanjo, Yar Adua and Jonathan years, has now been reduced to a cesspit of crime, filth and decay. The current FCT Minister, whose name I would never care to memorise, is more useless than a used tissue paper. The worst there can ever be.

I can only desperately hope things don't get even worse.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 03, 2021
As long as the affairs of this country are being handled and stagnated by the backwardness Loving Religious bigots nothing will work it’s that simple. The love for backwardness doesn’t allow you think straight if you’re now a religious bigot it gets worse .
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by FamTomx2(m): 12:20pm On Aug 03, 2021
hedonido:

You have no idea how badly our beloved Abuja has deteriorated under the demonic regime of this idiot called Buhari and his band of les incompetents. It is beyond sad. Abuja that used to be the closest thing to heaven on earth in Nigeria during those glorious Obasanjo, Yar Adua and Jonathan years, has now been reduced to a cesspit of crime, filth and decay. The current FCT Minister, whose name I would never care to memorise, is more useless than a used tissue paper. The worst there can ever be.

I can only desperately hope things don't get even worse.

Well said...
you and your F&F should get your voters cards READY.. cool
Seems to be the only option left now,

2023 is not that far again.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by sulaak(m): 1:13pm On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

FCT used to raise money from parking meters to supplement its income some 8 years ago, until someone got a court order to stop it.

Also, we don't pay something called a council tax. Many cities in the UK...residents pay something called a council tax which can be as high as 85,000 to 100000 naira. (I know, Nigeria cannot be compared to the UK eh, we are poor)...but that money goes into providing essential services such as street light, transport, etc.

The oyel money that we all rely on is not enough for all of us. Which is why you that is shouting Hausas and Fulani...is your state capital well lit all over? The reason is simple...there isn't enough money to do the job.(apart from Lagos maybe, and even Lag is not well lit all over). Because your tax to gdp ratio is too low and because the oil price has not been high enough to sustain us for nearly 9 years, if not longer.

States and the FCT need to be innovative in raising money not just for streetlights , but for public services, especially in the cities. And Nigerians too need to put pressure on their leaders to make sure the money is used well to ensure that their cities are run well.(The court case I referred to earlier may have stopped corruption in the parking meter system, but then it also threw out the baby with the bathwater)

(This is not a supporting Buhari message...personally, I think the minister of FCT should be more of a professional than a polticial somebodi. APC continued with the same old same old.Ironically, the last really good FCT minister we had was El-Rufai.)

Nigeria VAT is very low should be around 20%, there is no cattle tax, council tax, housing tax and road tax all these taxes are collected every month by UK local council to provide local services

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Hopez456(m): 2:49pm On Aug 03, 2021
W
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Hopez456(m): 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2021
sulaak:

Nigeria VAT is very low should be around 20%, there is no cattle tax, council tax, housing tax and road tax all these taxes are collected every month by UK local council to provide local services
Wait Oga, the taxes we are paying are we getting any value for them? Yes, Taxes are high in UK and other European countries but they get value for it.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by zanshi: 5:11pm On Aug 03, 2021
27Pushing30:

Please list the Hausa/fulani’s in vital positions in Abina, Enugu, Ebonyi , anambra and IMO states

Add SS and SE states as well.

Where are the fulani’s there?

keep it going man.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by zanshi: 5:18pm On Aug 03, 2021
Beancounter94:

FCT does have the money, but a city cannot survive on "Political patronage" no industries, no major manufacturing and you expect to have a burgeoing city that would function optimally. I use to think El-Rufai was this shit, he just had unfettered access to Abuja's purse to do as he pleases and embark on white elephant projects without scrutiny.

It is one thing to want infrastructure to support the economy and it's another thing to maintain it. When Ambode resumed office in 2015, almost all the street lights on our highways were illuminated with street lights, few years later Apapa Oshodi expressway i passed days ago doesn't have street lights. This is a road that leads to the port.
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by Naijaishellish: 8:20am On Aug 04, 2021
Beancounter94:

https://www.nairaland.com/6684640/outcry-abuja-fcta-asks-business. Mugu, any defence 4 this one?

Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by SarakiBukola: 8:29pm On Aug 05, 2021
Beancounter94:

Thanks for the kind and generous words, and do have a good and prosperous rest of the week.

You're intelligent. Accidentally stumbled on your posts. I enjoy the posts of intellectuals cool
Re: Abuja's Poor Lighting: What Buhari, Bello, FCTA Must Know by rosinkkit: 9:53pm On Aug 05, 2021
Beancounter94:

The govt is trying to diversify - agriculture, mining, natural gas, manufacturing etc.

Diversification is not an overnight thing. It takes decades of sustained action.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Star Agulu Lake Resort/Convention Center Under-Construction In Awka (pictures) / INEC Holds Supplementary Elections On Saturday In Imo, Taraba & Abia / Patrick Akpobolokemi Granted N20million Bail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.