Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun (452 Views)

Okada Riders Clash In Ogun: Dangote Trucks Set Ablaze, 7 People Killed / Soldiers Shoot At Protesting Staff Of Dangote Sugar In Adamawa, 7 Feared Dead / Police Officers Run As Okada Riders Chase Them In Lagos (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by prof2007: 11:03am On Aug 04, 2021
Violence broke out on Monday between Hausa and Yoruba commercial motorcyclists (okada riders) at Ibese, in Yewa North LGA of Ogun State, during which 7 persons were feared dead. Our correspondent gathered that trouble started when okada riders operating at Dangote Cement Factory junction, Ibese, disagreed with union leaders over hike in ticket fee from N600 to N800.

The crisis snowballed into an ethnic crisis between the Hausa and the Yoruba in the area. Residents of the area told our correspondent that between Monday and Tuesday evening, 7 persons were killed in the crisis. Residents said over 12 motorcycles were burnt, just as locals intercepted Dangote trucks and used them to barricade the road to stop movement in the area.

“The crisis, which started on Monday over tickets, snowballed into an ethnic clash between Yoruba and Hausa Okada riders. More than 12 motorcycles belonging to both Yoruba and Hausa were burnt. Two people died on Monday. Some military men were mobilised to restore sanity, but this morning (Tuesday), the clash continued.

“Another set of soldiers came Tuesday morning to restore peace, but while moving around, there was a clash with aggrieved indigenes. We learnt there was shooting by the soldiers. One person died instantly, while the second was rushed to a hospital.”

State Police PRO Abimbola Oyeyemi confirmed the incident but did not confirm number of casualties. He said, “They said unions increased ticket fee from N600 to N800 and that was how the crisis started. The situation has been brought under control. Our men are still there.”

SOURCE: https://punchng.com/seven-feared-dead-as-okada-riders-clash-over-levy-in-ogun/

Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by ahnie: 11:05am On Aug 04, 2021
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Grace001: 11:06am On Aug 04, 2021
They said unions increased ticket fee from N600 to N800 and that was how the crisis started.

Disagreement over 200 Naira difference claimed 7 souls just like that .

Anyways make I no carry the matter for head. The masses are still enjoying their chains of poverty, hardship and suffering.
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 04, 2021
There's nothing hardship can not cause,what a failed country hence the reason I only reason Yankee toasters no be me and you go stay and settle for this kind of country lol
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Auto58(m): 11:08am On Aug 04, 2021
R l P
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by loveth360(f): 11:09am On Aug 04, 2021
Aboki Okada men dealing with Yoruba miscreantsgrin grin
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Totilopussylick(m): 11:10am On Aug 04, 2021
Separation can resolve this matter from happening time to time.
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by FarahAideed: 11:12am On Aug 04, 2021
Totilopussylick:

How does separation stop Nigerians from extorting themselves?
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Grace001: 11:19am On Aug 04, 2021
Totilopussylick:

Not on this one... The increase in ticket price was made by the transport union leaders in the office under AC, the people involve are just too stupid fighting themselves.

They could have channel that energy to the leaders at the union, instead of fighting the ticket sales persons.
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Faiththatworks(m): 11:23am On Aug 04, 2021
As much as I don't support violence on any level,I think this confrontation was inevitable.
These tout tax collectors need to be taught a lesson on how to behave whenever they collect these illegitimate taxes from hard working hustling Nigerians.
I don't understand why anyone will want to give ethnic coloration to the violence,when you keep harassing a man working legitimately for his pay,there are bound to be terrible repercussions.
I issue a plea to all the local government where these tout tax collectors operate to have a maximum rate that can be collected every day from the okoda,bus and Keke napep riders.
If they know they can't ban them,then at least give a maximum levy,I suggest around 200 naira a day that should be collected from each rider,or else I promise there will be more violence spread across the country especially in the south,where these tout tax collectors are rampant
Re: 7 Feared Dead As Okada Riders Clash Over Levy In Ogun by Mynd44: 11:30am On Aug 04, 2021

(1)

North can't talk of Unity because no one in the north is safe / IPOB Berates Security Agencies Over Enugu Killings, Vows To Fight Back / Benue PDP Replies George Akume

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.