Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,011 members, 7,835,433 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu (1540 Views)

Let Compare Anambra State And Oyo State (photos) / 2023: Let Us Get Focused On Dislodging APC – Ortom To Atiku, Others / Compare ATIKU And BUHARI With Any Thing, By A Poster On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by PAtoGCFR2034: 4:06pm On Aug 04, 2021
If you're one of those too long to read types , please stay off this post.

First of all, these here are my own opinions as an observer of the political landscape. I don't want any ignorant comments. Secondly, I mean no ethnic bias. I did not consider anybody from the southeast/south south because as the candid igboman that I am, I don't think/feel there're any of my brothers who combines 1) nationwide appeal with 2) political dexterity/skullduggery and 3)track record.
Whether you like it or not, in today's Nigeria, you need the first two as well as (or maybe even more than) the third. For instance Peter Obi has a track record but does he have enough crossover appeal ?
Same with Kingsley Moghalu. Certified technocrat but how many voters actually know him ?
Wike may have the skullduggery and maybe some mainstream appeal/track record but the man needs to repackage himself first. Nothing is impossible though. Afterall we all know who was repackaged in 2015. *Ahem

I have identified two possible contestants namely Abubakar Atiku and Bola Ahmed Tinubu (BAT) who I think are both equally capable of running things. (Osinbajo may do better than these two but I don't see him running because of Tinubu).

So what are the pros and cons of these two ?

I'll start with Tinubu

Pros:
Undeniable track record/performance as Governor of Lagos.
Visionary. Conceptualized and Initiated projects that took Lagos to the next level . Guys let's be honest. The Lekki Free Trade Zone masterplan was prepared in 2006 by Tinubu's administration while other governors like Zamfara's Yerima were busy introducing Sharia as dividends of democracy for his people.
The Eko Atlantic city was conceptualized in 2003. You can say that it's a no brainer as Lagos already had the shoreline advantage but in life you work with what you're given in order to get to the next level. How many governors fully utilized the unique advantages offered by their states ? There's something called comparative advantage in economics. It means the ability to do what you're good at better than anybody else (layman explanation). And this is where the northerners are failing. They have comparative advantage in agriculture, which could serve as a base for a massive agro-allied industrial economy that will be the pride of Africa and envy of Europe but they're eyeing oil instead.
Should I talk about the BRT scheme ? No need, it speaks for it self.
These are initiatives that will be around 100 years from now even after all us have left this earth

Secondly leadership qualities and the ability to locate and identify talent. Listen, people underrate this ability a lot. Take a look around you and ask yourself who are those you surround yourself with. I was one of those who thought that the removal of Ambode was heavy handed and overbearing but unless you're not truthful to yourself , you cannot deny that Sanwo-Olu is ten times the man Ambode is. BAT has shown consistently that he's able to identify performers and, if necessary, fire them. Firing an incompetent and underperforming staff should not be a difficult thing except in a place where loyalty is more important than competence.
But I have to admit I do not know the full story of the Ambode saga and will appreciate if people enlighten me.

Cons (nobody is perfect)

Overt and excessive sycophancy
While I understand that you have to be politically savvy, I am worried that BAT is taking it to an alarming level. What does he mean by Fulani and Yoruba are one ? Was that really necessary ? I know millions of Yoruba do not agree with him on that point as shown by recent events. Does he really mean this or is he just politicking ?
Secondly when Smart Adeyemi rose in the House to draw attention over the killings in Nigeria and Mrs Tinubu asked him if he was a saboteur. Now that leaves me confused. Are you supposed to keep quiet when people are dying ? Is all these a calculated attempt to not rock the boat until you get into office or what ?
The bad thing about sycophancy is that people can see through it. The person/people you're trying very hard to please may end up getting turned off by that attitude. And then you end up losing both ways.
If we assume it's not sycophancy but genuine statements, then it means that he sees nothing wrong with the situation in the country. So what are the assurances that things will change for the better when he gets into office ?
Either way, its not a good look for him.

Secondly greed.
We all know that Tinubu got extremely rich through his privileged position as ex-governor and influential political leader. You can look yourself in the mirror and deny it all you want. That's up to you. But we know that Fashola fell out with him over revenue sharing. Can you deny that too ?
Being rich through connections is not a bad thing. I am a capitalist to the core. But there's a distinction between private business and enriching yourself (and your cronies) at the expense of the government and the people. Who's to say that the same thing will not happen when he becomes president ? A man is judged by his precedents (what HAS happened) , not what WILL happen.

However as bad as this second point (self-enrichment) is , I think it pales in comparison to the issue of sycophancy and that brings me to Abubakar Atiku

Abubakar Atiku

Pros:
Neutrality and impartiality It is my opinion that Alhaji Atiku is not a yes man. He is nobody's boy. He showed that during the Obasanjo's regime. I don't think Abubakar is going to play ethnic or tribal politics (I could be wrong). I think the core fulanis are afraid of him that is why they're hell bent on preventing him from running, thus bringing up his birth/citizenship issue. I am of the opinion that Atiku is capable of making the tough decisions that are needed without prejudice to any particular group while also maintaining neutrality.

National appeal There's no denying that Atiku has friends and appeal in the North, East and West and is capable of winning votes in all the geopolitical zones. Some say that he can get more votes in the north than APC's BAT. I don't know. But I think that Atiku is more detribalized than most people give him credit for.

Experience at the federal level Though this doesn't really count for much but he has seen and done it all. He knows the inner workings of democratic institutions and is more than capable of checkmating those oligarchs as it's nothing new to him. Still it's more about the personality (first point above) than experience.

Cons
Bad track record by association
Atiku was a part of the PDP regime. Even though he was at odds with his former boss, some felt he should have resigned from that administration to save face (just like they say Osinbajo should resign to disassociate himself ). The stigma cannot be washed away easily even though he was just a vice president.

Secondly greed and corruption
Just like BAT, Atiku also enriched himself through his positions as customs boss and vice -president. There are strong rumours still swirling around the privatization agenda of then President Olusegun Obasanjo of which Atiku was the boss of the National Council on Privatization. Therefore what is the assurance that the same thing will not happen as President ?

In light of this brief analysis, let me know below (constructively) what you think

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Julianaa: 4:09pm On Aug 04, 2021
One is a betrayal

One will appoint all his people in different positions, same as Buhari

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by FoolaniHellman: 4:13pm On Aug 04, 2021
Julianaa:
One is a betrayal

One will appoint all his people in different positions, same as Buhari

Can I ask you how Tinubu is a betrayal pls?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Julianaa: 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2021
FoolaniHellman:

I didn't mention anybody wink

With all the killings happening in his region and land, one kept mute and never said one single thing

Just to get the other region votes

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Asgard73: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2021
You’re a paid Tinubu supporter

.. and it’s obvious ..

Do you know Lagos during Tinubu government?

..on a thread Yoruba was abusing Ibori on his 68 birthday

But same Yoruba people are pushing Tinubu for President

What’s the difference between Ibori and Tinubu

Is Ibori not better than him..?
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Karlovych: 4:17pm On Aug 04, 2021
embarassed embarassed

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by PAtoGCFR2034: 4:20pm On Aug 04, 2021
Asgard73:

.. and it’s obvious ..

Didn't you see the pros for Atiku and cons for Tinubu ? Behave yourself.

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Asgard73: 4:20pm On Aug 04, 2021
FoolaniHellman:

It’s politics

A man his Yoruba people are everywhere shouting southern unity so to stylishly package and sell him as southern candidate to North..
Same man and his Yoruba people sold a southern candidate to Northerners on a platter of gold.
Without considering southern unity grin

The North will never sell theirs... no matter what.
How many northerners do abuse and criticize Buhari so openly and careless .

But a Yoruba man will conveniently do it to his follow southerner without qualms

It’s politics ... we know grin

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Asgard73: 4:22pm On Aug 04, 2021
PAtoGCFR2034:

Didn't you see the pros for Atiku and cons for Tinubu ? Behave yourself.

Which pros..

A paid one sided article to promote a crook.
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by theTranscriber: 4:27pm On Aug 04, 2021
Both are crooks
I'll never choose a northerner so I'll pick my Tinubu

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by FoolaniHellman: 4:47pm On Aug 04, 2021
Julianaa:

With all the killings happening in his region and land, one kept mute and never said one single thing

How many times has Orji Kalu come out to condemn the killings in his region?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Soulsymbol99: 4:55pm On Aug 04, 2021
Until naija starts fielding the likes of okonji iwuala, Amina Muhammad, Adesina, Peter obi, Osinbajo etc notin will change. Cuz we r nt going anywhere wit these recycled corrupt politicians that put us in our current situation as a country.
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by PAtoGCFR2034: 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2021
Soulsymbol99:
Until naija starts fielding the likes of okonji iwuala, Amina Muhammad, Adesina, Peter obi, Osinbajo etc notin will change. Cuz we r nt going anywhere wit these recycled corrupt politicians that put us in our current situation as a country.

I agree but will anyone of these people you mentioned contest in 2023 ?

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by danilmo: 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2021
PAtoGCFR2034:
If you're one of those too long to read types , please stay off this post.

First of all, these here are my own opinions as an observer of the political landscape. I don't want any ignorant comments. Secondly, I mean no ethnic bias. I did not consider anybody from the southeast/south south because as the candid igboman that I am, I don't think/feel there're any of my brothers who combines 1) nationwide appeal with 2) political dexterity/skullduggery and 3)track record.
Whether you like it or not, in today's Nigeria, you need the first two as well as (or maybe even more than) the third. For instance Peter Obi has a track record but does he have enough crossover appeal ?
Same with Kingsley Moghalu. Certified technocrat but how many voters actually know him ?
Wike may have the skullduggery and maybe some mainstream appeal/track record but the man needs to repackage himself first. Nothing is impossible though. Afterall we all know who was repackaged in 2015. *Ahem

I have identified two possible contestants namely Abubakar Atiku and Bola Ahmed Tinubu (BAT) who I think are both equally capable of running things. (Osinbajo may do better than these two but I don't see him running because of Tinubu).

So what are the pros and cons of these two ?

I'll start with Tinubu

Pros:
Undeniable track record/performance as Governor of Lagos.
Visionary. Conceptualized and Initiated projects that took Lagos to the next level . Guys let's be honest. The Lekki Free Trade Zone masterplan was prepared in 2006 by Tinubu's administration while other governors like Zamfara's Yerima was busy introducing Sharia as dividends of democracy for his people.
The Eko Atlantic city was conceptualized in 2003. You can say that it's a no brainer as Lagos already had the shoreline advantage but in life you work with what you're given in order to get to the next level. How many governors fully utilized the unique advantages offered by their states ? There's something called comparative advantage in economics. It means the ability to do what you're good at better than anybody else (layman explanation). And this is where the northerners are failing. They have comparative advantage in agriculture, which could serve as a base for a massive agro-allied industrial economy that will be the pride of Africa and envy of Europe but they're eyeing oil instead.
Should I talk about the BRT scheme ? No need, it speaks for it self.

Secondly leadership qualities and the ability to locate and identify talent. Listen, people underrate this ability a lot. Take a look around you and ask yourself who are those you surround yourself with. I was one of those who thought that the removal of Ambode was heavy handed and overbearing but unless you're not truthful to yourself , you cannot deny that Sanwo-Olu is ten times the man Ambode is. BAT has shown consistently that he's able to identify performers and, if necessary, fire them. Firing an incompetent and underperforming staff should not be a difficult thing except in a place where loyalty is more important than competence.
But I have to admit I do not know the full story of the Ambode saga and will appreciate if people enlighten me.

Cons (nobody is perfect)

Overt and excessive sycophancy
While I understand that you have to be politically savvy, I am worried that BAT is taking it to an alarming level. What does he mean by Fulani and Yoruba are one ? Was that really necessary ? I know millions of Yoruba do not agree with him there as seen shown by recent events. Does he really mean this or is he just politicking ?
Secondly when Smart Adeyemi rose in the House to draw attention over the killings in Nigeria and Mrs Tinubu asked him if he was a saboteur. Now that leaves me confused. Are you supposed to keep quiet when people are dying ? Is all these a calculated attempt to not rock the boat until you get into office or what ?
The bad thing about sycophancy is that people can see through it. The person/people you're trying very hard to please may end up getting turned off by that attitude. And then you end up losing both ways.
If we assume it's not sycophancy but genuine statements, then that means that he sees nothing wrong with the situation in the country. So what are the assurances that things will change for the better when he gets into office ?
Either way, its not a good look for him.

Secondly greed.
We all know that Tinubu got extremely rich through his privileged position as ex-governor and influential political leader. You can look yourself in the mirror and deny it all you want. That's up to you. But we know that Fashola fell out with him over revenue sharing. Can you deny that too ?
Being rich through connections is not a bad thing. I am a capitalist to the core. But there's a distinction between private business and enriching yourself (and your cronies) at the expense of the government and the people. Who's to say that the same thing will not happen when he becomes president ? A man is judged by his precedents (what HAS happened) , not what WILL happen.

However as bad as this second point (self-enrichment) is , I think it pales in comparison to the issue of sycophancy and that brings me to Abubakar Atiku

Abubakar Atiku

Pros:
Neutrality and impartiality It is my opinion that Alhaji Atiku is not a yes man. He is nobody's boy. He showed that during the Obasanjo's regime. I don't think Abubakar is going to play ethnic or tribal politics. I think the core fulanis are afraid of him that is why they're hell bent on preventing him from running , now bringing up this citizenship issue. I am of the opinion that Atiku is capable of making the tough decisions that are needed without prejudice to any particular group while also maintaining neutrality.

National appeal There's no denying that Atiku has friends and appeal in the North, East and West and is capable of winning votes in all the geopolitical zones. Some say that he can get more votes in the north than APC's BAT. I don't know. But I think that Atiku is more detribalized than most people give him credit for.

Experience at the federal level Though this doesn't really count for much but he has seen and done it all. He knows the inner workings of a democratic institutions and is more than capable of checkmating those oligarchs as its nothing new. Still it's more about the personality (first point above) than experience.

Cons
Bad track record by association
Atiku was a part of the PDP regime. Even though he was at odds with his former boss, some felt he should have resigned from that administration to save face (just like they say Osinbajo should resign to disassociate himself ). The stigma cannot be washed away easily even though he was just a vice president.

Secondly greed and corruption
Just like BAT, Atiku also enriched himself through his positions as customs boss and vice -president. Therefore what is the assurance that the same thing will not happen as President ?

In light of this brief analysis, let me know below (constructively) what you think

Uve done well and kinda realistic, I think u should add their portfolio too..

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by danilmo: 5:02pm On Aug 04, 2021
Julianaa:

Did u want him to loose the other region Vote

Meanwhile Atiku never spoke ill abt his Fulani gross misconduct, what do u think he was doing
Infact Tinubu Supported Antigrazing Law and only SW state where BAT has influence has passed it to bill.

So do u feel the Atiku who didn't say anything abt his co Fulani , do think he won't politically pamper them too

5 Likes

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 04, 2021
grin...
What Happened to ............... undecided undecided lipsrsealed

undecided undecided undecided undecided NOT TOO YOUNG TO RUN lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Monogamy: 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2021
grin shocked
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Soulsymbol99: 5:21pm On Aug 04, 2021
PAtoGCFR2034:

I agree but will anyone of these people you mentioned contest in 2023 ?

Obasanjo is supporting Adesina 2 contest bt the others I doubt. although Peter will be interested as well.
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by razfad10(m): 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2021
Frontail:
grin...
What Happened to ............... undecided undecided lipsrsealed

undecided undecided undecided undecided NOT TOO YOUNG TO RUN lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
most of the young are to lazy to run the race but have the strength to run their mouth, you know that.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by yuping(m): 5:28pm On Aug 04, 2021
I won't vote any of them even with 1million on the table.
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by danilmo: 5:41pm On Aug 04, 2021
Oya lexy2014

Oya come nd Read little abt Tinubu here..
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by lexy2014: 5:44pm On Aug 04, 2021
danilmo:
Oya lexy2014

Oya come nd Read little abt Tinubu here..

Why should I?
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by danilmo: 5:47pm On Aug 04, 2021
lexy2014:

Why should I?

To know more about Tinubu so that u can vote for him favourably.. u need to know ur contestant. SOMEONE Just tell us little abt him.
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by BJanta: 6:05pm On Aug 04, 2021
Julianaa:

What are your own father, governors and leaders doing with all the killings going in the south east?Have you not heard Ohanneze declaring Buhari's army the best in Africa for killing IPOB and ESN to bring the so-called peace to the east?All your leaders who have never aligned themselves with your wishes in the east, and who of recent openly turned their back IPOB and ESN,are not betrayed.But Tinubu is. You have the right to choose who to follow, But Tinubu has no right to make his own choice. You must tell him what to do.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Julianaa: 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
BJanta:

What are your own father, governors and leaders doing with all the killings going in the south east?Have you not heard Ohanneze declaring Buhari's army the best in Africa for killing IPOB and ESN to bring the so-called peace to the east?All your leaders who have never aligned themselves with your wishes in the east, and who of recent openly turned their back IPOB and ESN,are not betrayed.But Tinubu is. You have the right to choose who to follow, But Tinubu has no right to make his own choice. You must tell him what to do.
mtcheew
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by BJanta: 6:12pm On Aug 04, 2021
Asgard73:

.. and it’s obvious ..

..'on a thread Yoruba was abusing Ibori on his 68 birthday'
Can you see your grammar? A lower breed definitely, an illiterate Igbo spare parts seller
most certainly.

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by able20(m): 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2021
If really Mr Tinubu is 69 years the way he looks, then, he has a very big problem. Even sick Buhari in his condition looks smarter.
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by demmie1: 6:41pm On Aug 04, 2021
As well as i agree with the op i would like to add that Atiku as a fulani man has their sleeper mentality. Until that GO button is pressed by their oligarchs you will not know what he might do.

Fulanis want to rule Nigeria continuously and that must not happen

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by demmie1: 6:44pm On Aug 04, 2021
danilmo:

Did u want him to loose the other region Vote

Meanwhile Atiku never spoke ill abt his Fulani gross misconduct, what do u think he was doing
Infact Tinubu Supported Antigrazing Law and only SW state where BAT has influence has passed it to bill.

So do u feel the Atiku who didn't say anything abt his co Fulani , do think he won't politically pamper them too

Thank you!

3 Likes

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Bettykeys: 6:46pm On Aug 04, 2021
Julianaa:

Brain is far from you. The Obas that has been speaking out in SW and the stakeholders in SE what comes out if it.

A wise man would excise patient until he has power to fight his enemy

1 Like

Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Julianaa: 7:02pm On Aug 04, 2021
Bettykeys:

Brain is far from you. The Obas that has been speaking out in SW and the stakeholders in SE what comes out if it.

A wise man would excise patient until he has power to fight his enemy
wizdom is far from you
Re: 2023: Let's Compare Atiku And Tinubu by Asgard73: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2021
BJanta:

..'on a thread Yoruba was abusing Ibori on his 68 birthday'
Can you see your grammar? A lower breed definitely, an illiterate Igbo spare parts seller
most certainly.

Says a Yoruba man...

Next!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen Invaded Church In Yorubaland Raped Women And Kidnapped 3 / Breaking: Buhari Unveils Anointed Candidate. / 2023: If You Collect Money From This Guy Don't Spend It - Aderele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.