Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,691 members, 7,831,141 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Private Universities And Class Of Grade - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Universities And Class Of Grade (1309 Views)

2013 JAMB CUT-OFF: List Of Universities And Their Jamb/post-utme Cut Off Marks / Jamb Cut Off Marks For Universities And Polytechnics / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 6:50pm On May 16, 2011
We are currently having a discussion in my office and from there I learnt that private universities student dont graduate with 2nd class lower, 3rd class and pass. I learnt the least graduating student score is Second Class upper.
Is that not ridiculous and contrary to normal bell shape curve graph. Even nature has mountain valleys and plains. It baffles my mind that people dont carry over courses.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by david22uu(m): 7:00pm On May 16, 2011
benzion72:

We are currently having a discussion in my office and from there I learnt that private universities student dont graduate with 2nd class lower, 3rd class and pass. I learnt the least graduating student score is Second Class upper.
Is that not ridiculous and contrary to normal bell shape curve graph. Even nature has mountain valleys and plains. It baffles my mind that people dont carry over courses.

Who Told u That nonsense, I graduated from a private Uni and if u re able to come out with a second class upper, u should thank God. People even came out with Pass, So it a wrong Info
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 7:10pm On May 16, 2011
Thank God this is from somebody who has seen it all.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 7:40am On May 27, 2011
Same here. Graduated from a private school and had classmates who left with passes. Of course we couldnt laugh though the question on everyone's mind was (How can you come here to pay N1m+ and be so lazy as to leave with a pass? Your popsy should simply shoot you.)

Yes people do fail. most people that criticize private schools do so because they couldnt afford it then and will do anything to make themselves feel that they did not miss a thing.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 8:10am On May 27, 2011
Success in life is not in the University or class of degree. It is your personal self Development. Dangote the African Richest man did not attend one, the likes of Bill Gate did not attend any one.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by Nobody: 9:30am On May 27, 2011
People just continue saying rubbish about private higher institutions just because they can afford one. I finish my ND in a private polytechnic and I tell u some of our colleagues finish with pass and some had extra year. I'm currently doing my IT in a private university where I've seen students graduating with pass and some having carry over, so all those allegations are just mere ways of tarnishing the image of private Universities.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 12:18pm On May 27, 2011
benzion72:

Success in life is not in the University or class of degree. It is your personal self Development. Dangote the African Richest man did not attend one, the likes of Bill Gate did not attend any one.
Bill gates was already ahead of the curriculum in his chosen field and he's an exception. (besides he was studying economics in university not computer science before he dropped out) and Dangote is there because your country rewards people who know how to work the system.

If you are prepared to live your life by manipulating the system then what you said is true otherwise a university education is definitely useful.

most Fortune 500 CEOS in the US (some of them even richer than Dangote) attended A UNIVERSITY.

Get an education and dont let envy or pride deprive you of what you need.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by Seun(m): 12:21pm On May 27, 2011
sad
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 12:23pm On May 27, 2011
you are an exception too ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 12:24pm On May 27, 2011
It is not in the degree it is in the delivery. Education is not going to four wall of the university to learn some useless theory and at the end of five year you are certified to be carrying paper about as proof of your qualification. So many degree holder both private and public expect to be paid according to their degree and not delivery
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 12:25pm On May 27, 2011
but how can you deliver if you dont have the capacity therein.

You can only give of yourself.

what you dont have YOU CANT GIVE.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 12:36pm On May 27, 2011
University, Polytechnic,NCE don't give capacity. They are set up to teach dead men theories, like Albert Eistein, Sir Isaac newton,Humprey Davy, Kelvin, Dalton, and so many other dead men. Kreb cycle, Metabolism and so many outdated theories. They are set up to stifle ingenuity, they are set up by society to mold conformist to the sociol and cultural value of the society. Unfortunately they are the yardstick of measuring society expectation. Just imagine if Fela Anikulapo Kuti has gone to study medicine and surgery. It would have been a loss to our world
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 7:15pm On May 27, 2011
benzion72:

University, Polytechnic,NCE don't give capacity. They are set up to teach dead men theories, like Albert Eistein, Sir Isaac newton,Humprey Davy, Kelvin, Dalton, and so many other dead men. Kreb cycle, Metabolism and so many outdated theories. They are set up to stifle ingenuity, they are set up by society to mold conformist to the sociol and cultural value of the society. Unfortunately they are the yardstick of measuring society expectation. Just imagine if Fela Anikulapo Kuti has gone to study medicine and surgery. It would have been a loss to our world

Your car runs on Newton's theories and other dead men. Science by its nature depends on the work of dead men long gone including the Greeks and Arabs who suffered so that generations unborn may profit.

Besides some music LPs and some funny antics,

how many jobs did fela create?
how many dictators did he remove?
how much did he add to our GDP?
Did he win any Nobels (Literature, Science or Peace)?

he's an icon alright and our history will never be complete without it but if he was interested in making a mark in the medical profession, the ONLY PLACE TO DO IT was in a university.

lest I forget, Einsteins theories (e=mc2 ) is still at the core of all nuclear power stations.

The Krebs cycle (contrary to what your biology teachers are telling you) is not outdated. Your body still goes through that process.

And if you want to find out whether Newton's laws are old and useless, Jump off a building and see whether his Laws of motion apply to your fall from the sky.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 7:19pm On May 27, 2011
If you attend a university and do not come out with something worthwhile, the fault is yours.

If you attend and you do not leave with a deeper understanding of why your course is important to the world, then the fault is yours.

The original purpose of universities was to advance the society's knowledge and better solve its problems.

A graduate is supposed to be uniquely empowered (if he/she applies himself/herself) to solve the nations problems.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by berildan(m): 5:41pm On May 28, 2011
Who says education is not important? First of all, am sure the the person who made the comment has a house- a product of education, a handset(or even an Ipod,laptop, )- products of education and possibly a car - another product of education. Its true that without education you can achieve a lot, but there's a limit to which that can take you. The difference between a mechanic and an automotive engineer is Education, the difference between an untrained draftsman and an architect is education. In today's society it is well obvious that education is a major driving force, so i really don't see how dropping out of school becomes an option not to talk of an alternative. And with reference to the issue aforementioned, I happen to be a student of Covenant University- a non-profit Private University, and even though we have high numbers of 1st class students, we still have a high percentage of 2:1 grades and 2:2 grades. Moreover, those with 1st class results didn't just sit down doing nothing and have those grades come their way. I happen to be an insider and I can tell you that a lot of serious work is done on the part of students coupled with the way things are done here for instance, there are no cases of harassment from lecturers or any of those things that are paramount in most conventional uni's like out of scheme tests and exams by lecturers to make sure students don't get high grades and consequently good results. So its good you try to get all sides of a story before you make any conclusions on private schools and their performances. We suffer a lot from single stories in this part of the world wink
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 6:39pm On May 28, 2011
We need to ask ourselves what is education? Is going to school the only form of education that we have? this question we really help us. A plough man on is feet is better than a gentle man on his kneel. A mechanic is his own boss nobody can sack him. Our first class automobile engineer still depend on him to fix his car. before he get freedom from his boss his skill his earning income compared to our first class graduate begging to apply and practicing GMAT for job test and still depend on mummy and daddy life line
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 6:46pm On May 28, 2011
Yes I depend on my carpenter to make chairs and the mechanic to repair cars and at the end of the day, I pay them what they deserve. In the same way, their money is useless if graduates , like myself and many others, do not manage the institutions that provide the services they need.

No amount of apprenticeship/freedom will make an uneducated mechanic the MD of NNPC/Shell/ Chevron. It Cannot happen. Some doors are just closed to you.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by benzion72(m): 11:23am On May 29, 2011
You are still getting it wrong. That a man is mechanic does not mean he is illiterate. The training he undergo is and education. I still insist that school is not the only avenue for education. We have formal,informal, nonformal form of education.
Re: Private Universities And Class Of Grade by kodewrita(m): 1:43pm On May 29, 2011
accepted Benzion72. my apologies if i hurt your feelings in anyway. lets end it.

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Renamed 'moshood Abiola' University / . / Let Talk Abt Ijmb (interim Joint Admission Board)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.