Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? (380 Views)

Four Astronauts Make History With Spacex Launch / NASA Astronauts Safely Splash Down As SpaceX Crew Dragon Returns From Space / SpaceX Launch: NASA Astronauts Make History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by Charlesnwali: 11:11am On Aug 06, 2021
Sleeping in space May sound weird to non-astronauts. But to astronauts, it is part of their daily routine to sleep inside a sleeping bag in space.

Why would astronauts sleep inside a bag? You are about to find out.

According to Nasa, astronauts sleep inside a sleeping bag located in a crew cabin. The sleeping room is usually as small as a shower stall.

The sleeping bag is strapped to the wall of the small room. The reason astronauts sleep inside these sleeping bags is to avoid floating within the weightless environment and bumping into an obstacle.

Once astronauts complete their tasks for the day, they are expected to rest and regain their strength. To sleep comfortably in space, astronauts use sleep masks and earplugs to block off light and noise.

Since they are in the weightless environment of space, astronauts are expected to sleep next to an air vent in order to counter the carbon dioxide they produce. If astronauts decide to sleep in a distant location from the air vent, the carbon dioxide may form a bubble around their heads.

Just like on earth, astronauts sleep up to 8 hours in space in a weightless environment.

Do you think that there will be more convenient ways for future astronauts to sleep in space?

Written by Charles Nwali

1 Like

Re: How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by Aidejay(m): 11:14am On Aug 06, 2021
Wow!
Amazing!
Re: How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by mountmoriah(m): 11:25am On Aug 06, 2021
I love their job, they are extra ordinary people one must envy
Re: How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by wilsonchilboy(m): 11:35am On Aug 06, 2021
I won really go space but i keep wondering wat will even take me there
Re: How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 08, 2021
Nice! Are they standing sleeping?
Re: How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by Enceladus(m): 12:39pm On Aug 08, 2021
The painful part is feeling as if you are standing on your head while sleeping. With centrifugal spinning stations, artificial gravity can be generated which will allow them to sleep casually on a bed. The gateway foundation is working on one I think.
Re: How Do Astronauts Sleep In Space? by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 6:10pm On Aug 08, 2021
Journey that's not for the ordinary human.

(1) (Reply)

A Must Read For Creationists / Anonymous Hacks Russian Federal Agency, Releases 360,000 Documents. / MTN Launches Volte Call Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.