Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light (1718 Views)

Solution To Oil Shortage And Smoking Engines / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage / See What This Guy Did To His Toyota Camry Pencil Light (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 6:43pm On Aug 07, 2021
Good day fellow NL,
There's this issue bothering me since. My mum got a car for us last year December, a Camry Pencil Light, sounds perfectly well.
The only problem we discovered along the line is drastic shortage of Engine oil.
Contacted a mechanic and he told me we needed to change the Pistons and Rings that there are weak already. I obliged and changed every necessary things he requested for.
Started using the car and noticed the same issue after a month or so.
Have been managing and topping the Engine oil till I became tired and was introduced to another mechanic.
Mechanics with their normal way of speaking Ill about the previous mechanic who did it. He told me the Pistons and Rings are not original and requested we order the best quality from Onitsha which I wanted giving the last try.
Got everything and fixed it. The car sounded more than when we even bought it. Truth be told, the young mechanic actually did a great job. It's about a month now. After making a trip of about 48km to and fro. I discovered the oil is short a little bit again.
Seriously at this point am confused.
The car radiator doesn't shorten the water, no smoke, runs perfectly well.
But where this problem is coming from is what still remains a mystery to me.
Car gurus in the house, what could actually be the problem.
Please help us.
Thank you
Please sorry for the long post and pls ignore any error u come across.

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Decentdave(m): 7:49pm On Aug 07, 2021
Go and buy another engine..simple

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 8:49pm On Aug 07, 2021
Decentdave:
Go and buy another engine..simple
Bro, is it that easy in this present Economy?

5 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Kaybaba5(m): 9:32pm On Aug 07, 2021
Just be managing it like that till u will have money to buy another engine

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Eking: 10:03pm On Aug 07, 2021
Innobee99:
Good day fellow NL,
There's this issue bothering me since. My mum got a car for us last year December, a Camry Pencil Light, sounds perfectly well.
The only problem we discovered along the line is drastic shortage of Engine oil.
Contacted a mechanic and he told me we needed to change the Pistons and Rings that there are weak already. I obliged and changed every necessary things he requested for.
Started using the car and noticed the same issue after a month or so.
Have been managing and topping the Engine oil till I became tired and was introduced to another mechanic.
Mechanics with their normal way of speaking Ill about the previous mechanic who did it. He told me the Pistons and Rings are not original and requested we order the best quality from Onitsha which I wanted giving the last try.
Got everything and fixed it. The car sounded more than when we even bought it. Truth be told, the young mechanic actually did a great job. It's about a month now. After making a trip of about 48km to and fro. I discovered the oil is short a little bit again.
Seriously at this point am confused.
The car radiator doesn't shorten the water, no smoke, runs perfectly well.
But where this problem is coming from is what still remains a mystery to me.
Car gurus in the house, what could actually be the problem.
Please help us.
Thank you
Please sorry for the long post and pls ignore any error u come across.

Change the pcv valve.. Very cheap fix

3 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 10:46pm On Aug 07, 2021
Eking:

Thank u Sir
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 6:49am On Aug 08, 2021
Eking:

I actually read about PCV VALVE and I think it could be of help too. I'll just have to give it a try since it doesn't involve bringing down the engine.

Hope I got the picture correctly?

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Grupo(m): 9:50am On Aug 08, 2021
One thing you have to know is that almost every car of that age will burn oil to an extent.

My car is a 2007 corolla. And I observed that it burns about a liter of oil every 1,500 miles.

This means if I change oil now, before I cover 1,500 miles, the oil will be nearing the lower end of the dipstick.

They said I'd have to change my valve oil seals. But I'm not ready to tamper with my perfectly running engine for now. So I let it be.

The oil consumption is not that drastic in my case.

If your own oil burn is not that drastic, I'd advise you to leave it and top off the oil when needed.

Moving from mechanic to mechanic may be counter productive.

And even if you buy a tokunbo engine now, there's no guarantee it will not burn oil simply due to the age of the engine.

Problem no dey finish. Learn to manage and live with some. Instead of trying to solve them.

8 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Dododawa01: 10:56am On Aug 08, 2021
Grupo:
One thing you have to know is that almost every car of that age will burn oil to an extent.

My car is a 2007 corolla. And I observed that it burns about a liter of oil every 1,500 miles.

This means if I change oil now, before I cover 1,500 miles, the oil will be nearing the lower end of the dipstick.

They said I'd have to change my valve oil seals. But I'm not ready to tamper with my perfectly running engine for now. So I let it be.

If your own oil burn is not that drastic, I'd advise you to leave it and top off the oil when needed.

And even if you buy a tokunbo engine now, there's no guarantee it will not burn oil simply due to the age of the engine.

Problem no dey finish. Learn to manage and live with some. Instead of trying to solve them.
Its a good advice if you can still manage it cos if u buy new engine, it may still short but my Toyota corolla 2006 doesn't short oil even with Mobil 1 EP at 5000 miles and I have gone up to 6500miles without adding a single engine oil b4 I change it but d car have gone to Ondo from Lagos during this period. Car history report is very important whenever u want to purchase car and always go for low actual mileage

5 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by xperiencelove(m): 12:49pm On Aug 08, 2021
Are you sure your engine oil is not leaking away especially while driving?
If your pencil have a slight leakage beside the engine, you won't see oil drop even if you park if for one week but it will leak when the oil is hot while driving.
Check the lower side of the engine where you have the timing belt immediately you come back from a far distance. Check the low arm beside it if there is no splash of spilled oil.
Also check the sensors if oil is not leaking from it.

4 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by xperiencelove(m): 12:56pm On Aug 08, 2021
If your car is not smoking, your car oil is leaking somewhere around the engine especially when it is in motion and the oil is hot.
Grupo:

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Grupo(m): 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2021
xperiencelove:
If your car is not smoking, your car oil is leaking somewhere around the engine especially when it is in motion and the oil is hot.

The car doesn't smoke.
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Dozieson(m): 3:02pm On Aug 08, 2021
xperiencelove:
If your pencil have a slight leakage beside the engine, you won't see oil drop even if you part if for one week but it will leak when the oil is hot while driving.
Check the lower side of the engine where you have the timing belt immediately you come back from a far distance. Check the low arm beside it if there is no slash of spilled oil.

I suspect same too
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Dozieson(m): 3:02pm On Aug 08, 2021
Grupo:

The car doesn't smoke.

Check for leaks
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 3:43pm On Aug 08, 2021
Dododawa01:

Its a good advice if you can still manage it cos if u buy new engine, it may still short but my Toyota corolla 2006 doesn't short oil even with Mobil 1 EP at 5000 miles and I have gone up to 6500miles without adding a single engine oil b4 I change it but d car have gone to Ondo from Lagos during this period. Car history report is very important whenever u want to purchase car and always go for low actual mileage
Thank u so much Sir
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2021
Thank u all for the beautiful responses I have gotten so far and I think I have learnt few things here. Couldn't go to the mechanic today cuz it's Sunday. I'll take it to the pit tommorow to check if there's any leakage underneath the car.
Never knew I'll even get these beautiful contributions here.

For my nigga above who insisted I get a new engine, I'll but maybe after Buhari is off the seat but right now, na me and this engine ooooo

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 3:50pm On Aug 08, 2021
xperiencelove:
If your pencil have a slight leakage beside the engine, you won't see oil drop even if you part if for one week but it will leak when the oil is hot while driving.
Check the lower side of the engine where you have the timing belt immediately you come back from a far distance. Check the low arm beside it if there is no slash of spilled oil.
God bless u, will definitely do that tomorrow as today is Sunday already. I really appreciate
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Originalsly: 5:02pm On Aug 08, 2021
I'll go with change the PCV valve as suggested earlier. On checking for leaks.... remember you have to run the car some distance to get really heated. When all is done... I suggest when you can afford it.... replace the oil with High Mileage motor oil.... 5/30 pr whatever the number. High Mileage oil is formulated for such engines. That's what I use in my 2004 Big for Nothing..... 245 000 miles and runs like the wind.
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by eherbal(m): 5:13pm On Aug 08, 2021
Grupo:

The car doesn't smoke.
do the 101 smoke test.
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 5:31pm On Aug 08, 2021
Originalsly:
I'll go with change the PCV valve as suggested earlier. On checking for leaks.... remember you have to run the car some distance to get really heated. When all is done... I suggest when you can afford it.... replace the oil with High Mileage motor oil.... 5/30 pr whatever the number. High Mileage oil is formulated for such engines. That's what I use in my 2004 Big for Nothing..... 245 000 miles and runs like the wind.
Thank u so much for ur contribution. Indeed I really appreciate.
Which High Mileage oil will u recommend and the cost too. Because am using Mobile oil Special

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Originalsly: 5:51pm On Aug 08, 2021
Innobee99:
Thank u so much for ur contribution. Indeed I really appreciate.
Which High Mileage oil will u recommend and the cost too. Because am using Mobile oil Special

20/40?? ... whoa!... I'm not a car guy... but I know that's not doing your car any good. 10/30 high mileage bro!... and Mobil is very good.The experts can explain the effects of using such an oil wayyyy thicker than recommended.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Eking: 8:34pm On Aug 08, 2021
Yeah
Innobee99:
I actually read about PCV VALVE and I think it could be of help too. I'll just have to give it a try since it doesn't involve bringing down the engine.

Hope I got the picture correctly?
Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by sultaan(m): 8:44pm On Aug 08, 2021
That is the wrong weight of oil, try 10W30
After driving your car get a piece of cardboard and park you car engine over it overnight .
In the morning, you will see how much oil leaks daily on the cardboard.
if you see oil stains on the side of the engine change the valve cover gasket first

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by melviniyke2002(m): 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2021
Innobee99:
Thank u all for the beautiful responses I have gotten so far and I think I have learnt few things here. Couldn't go to the mechanic today cuz it's Sunday. I'll take it to the pit tommorow to check if there's any leakage underneath the car.
Never knew I'll even get these beautiful contributions here.

For my nigga above who insisted I get a new engine, I'll but maybe after Buhari is off the seat but right now, na me and this engine ooooo
grin

Re: Oil Shortage On Camry Pencil Light by Innobee99(m): 7:51am On Aug 09, 2021
sultaan:
That is the wrong weight of oil, try 10W30
After driving your car get a piece of cardboard and park you car engine over it overnight .
In the morning, you will see how much oil leaks daily on the cardboard.
if you see oil stains on the side of the engine change the valve cover gasket first
Thank u so much Sir. Truth be told, I don't really know much about oil. Pls which will u recommend for me, cuz I don't even know the weight u mentioned.
Help me pls.

(1) (Reply)

New Unused Car / How Prepared Is Your Car For That Journey? / Gear Problem In Mazda Astina 323f

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.