Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! (411 Views)

Learn Programming, Graphics & Animation Free!!: Nairaland Group Project / I Want To Learn Programming In 2018 / I Want To Learn Programming, Where Do I Start From? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! by tunaxy(m): 9:34am On Aug 09, 2021
Why can't most people learn to program?

Today, I want to tell you why this is so. And the mistakes people make, so that you can learn not to make them.

So if you're' learning how to be a programmer and it doesn't go very well, I'll tell you why, I'll tell you why you're not coming around and what mistakes people make so you can learn how to avoid those mistakes.

OK, let's begin, shall we?

If you are trying to learn how to be a programmer and it took more than a year, you are doing something wrong. It shouldn't take that long.

Programming is difficult now. Do not get me wrong. Difficult to Learn, It is probably one of the most difficult skills I can say exists because it is so diverse. There are many things to understand. There are many technologies that are constantly changing. There's a lot in there to learn.

But it can actually be easier to learn and very simple if you can narrow the scope down.

I have people I have trained who want to be a programmer, and many moons passed and they did not progress, they find it difficult to be successful. The main reason is that their focus is not very narrow and they are trying to learn a lot.

You spend a lot of time watching videos and doing tutorials instead of doing what developer does, building things, solving problems. Here's why: why you are getting things so wrong...

All that remains is to pay close attention to what you want in your preferred language, for example. Let's say you want a job because many of you are trying to become programmers to get a job. We are not talking about entrepreneurs or self-employed now. Let's talk if you want to find a job.

So if you want to work as a programmer, all you have to do is find out what kind of job you want. And then you know what you need to learn to get this job.

There are only two things that you need to know. What programming language is it you might want to do the job with? The second is the pyramid or stack or the industry you want to be in. You can actually choose one of them. I mean, you just have to narrow it down to a circle small enough to tell you what you need to learn.

Let's say you want to do Python - you're really interested in AI. It's cool, that's right. You can limit yourself to automation problems. There are many jobs in this field. You can see something like image processing, automated driving, web scraping, etc...

So you have to narrow it down to one programming language and then to a specific area and / or tech stack.

The job may require you to know a lot about the JavaScript frontend, the backend of Java or Python, including their scope, assuming the company is using a MySQL database, the thing is you 'll have to choose from these languages... Here you can see that there are many different things. There are many different technologies. That's why you feel so confused - and why you have yet to become a programmer.

The reason you are failing is that you are like well, I need to know all this, I do not know what job I want. I just want to start learning something. And so you start learning a little bit about this, you start learning everything. Instead, you just have to pick a very narrow focus.

There are so many programming languages that you need to be able to use a set of tools, a front-end framework, a basic programming language, and a back-end framework. In order to be able to build something, you have to be able to use these things.

I know it sounds really normal, but it's true. And once you've done that, you can learn a few more things. But all you need is a skill, a narrow focus on what you can do to build something.

Well, if you really want to test it, if you want to, and you're like, well I'll find out for myself, it's pretty easy. Here you are. Build a mobile app. Come up with something simple. Do you want some ideas? Check them out...

Here, you have 10 app ideas to build and improve your programming skills: A Rock Paper Scissors game; Chat application; Quiz Application; A memory card game; A simple to-do list application; calorie counter; Simple MVP landing page(This is a little bit advanced); A weight converter app; a random number guessing game; Blackjack simulation game.

You see, this is what you do. You do this to learn how to code. You like, well, start with a simple one. Let's start with a simple one. Let's get to the to-do list app. The user can create, edit or delete a post.

The next thing you are going to do, is to figure out how to build it. Well how do I know where to start? Well, first of all, you need to know what kind of place are you going to make it? Will you make it for mobile application or for web application? That decision has been made. Wow, very nice...

Next, what technology will you use? Which programming language? Which platform? Would you make it an Android app? Are you going to create an iOS app? Are you going to build a web application using the JavaScript framework? You can choose whichever you like.

Then you get an idea of what to learn for it, how much programming language it is needed and how to build something basic, say, a web or mobile oapp.

When I was learning web development, my first thought was: How can I actually build an app with just a blank page? Because if you can do that, you're halfway there. Then check it out, the user can create a post. So what is this? Can you make a new post? You have to think about that too. Well I need to be able to save the post somehow and can I create a new one?

So how about editing the post? Can you add some text to that post? can you delete the post? Can you delete the content of this page? Do you see what i'm saying You can become familiar with any of these tasks and just work on learning what you need to do from books, tutorials, and some other resources available to you and implement the feature you're currently working on.

And it might seem like a reverse way to learn slowly, but that's the best way because in the beginning it's going to be really hard because it's going to be, well, wouldn't it be easy if you read the whole book and learned the entire programming language and went through all the lessons?

At first yes. It seems but as you learn to create a post, it is going to be really difficult because you don't know any crap. But if you get to step two, which is learning how to edit a post. Now you will already know some things and you can mix these things up and it won't be difficult.

And by the time you get to step three, four, and step five, pretty soon you'll reach the point where you're saying I already know how to do it. I don't need to see or check it up.
Only then, you know how to program...
Re: Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! by bularuz(m): 10:04am On Aug 09, 2021
You are quite right
Re: Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! by Sheriman(m): 10:07am On Aug 09, 2021
Thank you we'll said. Some of us don't even have a laptop

1 Like

Re: Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! by NDSMELODY(m): 12:04pm On Aug 09, 2021
Thanks,learning java to build app but majorly for passion and as a fresh graduate of elect/elect engineer, I might need the knowledge of programming........ But I need laptop,I writing codes with my phone for now.
Re: Why You Are Failing To Learn Programming! by cameroncucumber(m): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
Thanks tunaxy. It is like you're talking to me lol...
Started with CSS, HTML , JavaScript, then react.
Php , c#, back to php for wordpress (I have not even mastered it), then I enter python-> django...
Na wa for me

(1) (Reply)

Job Alert: If You Can Build This! / The Benefits Of Using Woocommerce Mobile App Builder / Ctf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.