Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,980 members, 7,817,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters (12968 Views)

Construction Of Coastal Road From Lagos To Eight States / Lagos State Government Dislodges Squatters Beneath Iganmu Bridge / Lagos Task Force Serves Iganmu Under Bridge Squatters Removal Notice (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by mapet: 9:31am On Aug 12, 2021
GlorifiedTunde:
Clean up the city if you must, but provide affordable and suitable alternatives for people!

It's easier to sit in a glass house and look down on people.

Not that easy. People troop into Lagos from other states in droves, sleep anywhere and occupy hitherto empty lands. What was their state governments doing, why not take care of them in their states, lest they become burden and burdened in Lagos. Besides their is a city plan that has designated that parcel as a road. You don't expect government to deviate from the city plan just because some "refugees" came to occupy it.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by mapet: 9:32am On Aug 12, 2021
Eze2000:

Files: :

Enugu

Stop saying what you don't know because of tribal biass.
I have houses in both Lagos and Enugu. Which part is your Problem? Pls don't just name drop a place, be ready to tell what it looks like.

So the mention of Enugu pain you like this? grin

Learn to overlook some post and save your self some BP

1 Like

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by mapet: 9:39am On Aug 12, 2021
naptu2:
The Coastal Road is not a new development. It has been on the masterplan since at least the Jakande era. Jakande was removed from office before he could build it. Governor Rasaki said that he was surprised to see it on the masterplan and that it's not just a Lagos Coastal Road, but that there's actually a plan to build a coastal road all the way to Calabar

I was about to submit this fact.... Unfortunately some kids who will detach themselves from history and will not seek to know posts ignorantly on NL.

I believe we must be hard on ourselves and stick to the city development masterplan. All these cry of "provide housing for squatters" is an unnecessary distraction that will only bread poverty unabated. Let these squatters return to their villages and go an farm or do menial jobs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by mapet: 9:42am On Aug 12, 2021
FarahAideed:
I have long preached for the building of a this coastal road to ease of traffic from Lekki epe but I can see the Lagos govt is taking the wrong direction ...this coastal road should have started from The Abraham Adesanya Ogombo end of Lagos and hug the Atlantic coast to burst out at the water corporation end of Lagos instead of this approach that starts at VGC to burst out on tiny Freedom way inside Lekki Phase 1 ..this will put to much pressure on the limited trunk C roads inside the residential estate and cause mad traffic withing that estate

I think the plan is for Coastal road at the two extremes. The one you mention will lead all the way to Water Corporation Drive and terminate at Oniru Beach leading to Ligali Ayorinde.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Ajibel(m): 9:45am On Aug 12, 2021
naptu2:
The Coastal Road is not a new development. It has been on the masterplan since at least the Jakande era. Jakande was removed from office before he could build it. Governor Rasaki said that he was surprised to see it on the masterplan and that it's not just a Lagos Coastal Road, but that there's actually a plan to build a coastal road all the way to Calabar. He said that he began planning to build it, but he was removed from office before he could build it.

The Tinubu Administration promised to build it but never did.

There were protests when tolling began on the Lekki Expressway because some people believed that the government should build the coastal road before tolling the expressway (so that the coastal road would be an alternative).

The Ambode Administration promised to build it and former governor Rasaki praised him for that.

However, because it has not been built and the land has remained empty, a lot of squatters, mainly artisans, okada riders and traders, have taken over the land.

Na wa oo. Promises upon promises to build over the years. I think it's Sanwo that has made a major move to fulfil the promise by demolishing the shanties. Contractors should now move on site before the end of the year to prevent another set of squatters from settling in.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by mapet: 9:48am On Aug 12, 2021
Ajibel:

Na wa oo. Promises upon promises to build over the years. I think it's Sanwo that has made a major move to fulfil the promise by demolishing the shanties. Contractors should now move on site before the end of the year to prevent another set of squatters from settling in.

Sanwo-Olu had actually visited the Coastal & Regional roads in the first 90days in office and signified intention to start work. He also approached those whose building encroached on the road and informed them that the encroached part will be demolished.....

Covid-19 slowed him down on this work...

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 12, 2021
GlorifiedTunde:

I am not being political in my thoughts.

I'll just respond to you in a simple way.

What breeds crime in every society is the failure of the government to provide infrastructural and welfare needs; and in addition to that, the government of Lagos has been breeding and nurturing hoodlums and thugs who come in handy during elections.

The government creates the reason for abuse and lawlessness in the first place, and eventually turn around to victimize those who are co beneficiaries of that.

What the Nigerian government keeps doing is make life very difficult for it's citizens but they expect them not to turn to crime.

Analysis should be deep thinking; not scratching the surface.

Go and watch the Makoko people documentary and see the angle I am coming from.

Some valid points but not applicable here. The main problem is how Nigerians troop into Lagos from all other States of the nation, many that are failed States in reality, to overburden an already unfeasibly 'overstretched' Lagos.

Lagos, of 36 States, is geographically the smallest State in Nigeria yet it unfairly holds circa 21 million people which is about 10% of the entire population of Nigeria.

It is not fair or reasonable to tell Lagos to just keep accommodating and providing for unwelcomed and unsustainable influx of Nigerians from other States of the nation because of leadership failure elsewhere.

It is like a nation failing and then sending millions of refugees into neighbouring nation who simply cannot cope with such a large influx of people who will need to be fed, accommodated and gainfully employed to survive !!!

That is the reality of what we are facing meaning Lagos has to be more pragmatic in the effort to secure the State and provide a more fulfilling living experience to law-abiding indigenes of the State.

The UK brexited for this very reason. I.e the notion that the influx of unchecked migration from many EU member States, with worse-off economies, was leaving British people worse off.

Lagos simply has to protect herself from this unchecked influx of people from everywhere rather than move, as you suggest, to keep welcoming and accommodating these people.

Doing what you suggest simply encourages more inflow of economic migrants to include many with nothing beneficial to add to the State.

You have nothing to add to Lagos, don't come to Lagos. That is the survivalist message Lagos has to send out without compromise. No other way to put it and not something to sugar-coated with politically correct talk.

Lagos does not have unlimited resources so idealists like you should stop asking her to keep behaving as if she does self-destructively and to the detriment of law-abiding indigenes/Lagosians.

6 Likes

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Eze2000(m): 10:38am On Aug 12, 2021
mapet:

So the mention of Enugu pain you like this? grin

Learn to overlook some post and save your self some BP

I've been on nairaland for almost 10yrs. I can take care of myself thank you.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Drsnives(m): 10:56am On Aug 12, 2021
Grayoso:

Provide 'alternatives' for those who came to Lagos knowing they have nowhere to live and no means of making legitimate money?

Does that make sense? Even the Fulani herdsmen menace, because many are not indigenes of Nigeria, stems from the inability of Nigerians to take charge of their own borders and territorial integrity at State and national level.

What we have now is a situation of total lawlessness and unaccountability that is encouraging unidentified and unknown people to move across the entire Nigeria constituting menace to everyone and mainly indigenes.

Leaders at State and federal level must think outside the box to address the lawless movement of people, especially criminal-minded individuals, within Nigeria.

What of those that are legitimate owners of the land, has government compensated them? This is the question you should be asking, am not talking about those occupying the space iligally
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by newdawn2017(f): 10:56am On Aug 12, 2021
Drsnives:

Which village? Most of them are from there, their inheritance has been forcfully taken away from them without any compensation
those na malams & benue people full there with abakaliki people. Speaking of inheritance, which "forceful "? Something there obasanjo & baales freely gave to developers or other industrialists there by leaving his own people stranded. Yorubas re weak & they re sellouts. Let them continue giving away all their ancestral lands, they will live to regret it in time.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 12, 2021
Drsnives:
Provide alternative for them pls
Provide alternative for Nigeriens when our government never provided for his real people? What value are they adding to the environment.
If government provides an alternative for these present crop of people before you know another set of their people will still occupy later.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 12, 2021
Bola146:
Lagos State!! Hummmm.. I don't know which one is dirty between Lagos State and Ibadan
This place is called 'Ghetto' is not as dirty as some places I used to know in Ibadan centre like Bere, Opo yeosa, idi arere and other dirty areas in Ibadan where the houses there are without toilets and no approved plan.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Gfskw: 5:10pm On Aug 12, 2021
Hmmmm
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 13, 2021
Drsnives:

What of those that are legitimate owners of the land, has government compensated them? This is the question you should be asking, am not talking about those occupying the space iligally

This is pervasive ignorance that stems from how the average Nigerian blindly and unobjectively hates the Government.

Cannot speak for all States but I know Lagos State always tries to compensate legitimate owners of land the government wishes to use for Infrastructure projects.

What ignorance prevents most Nigerians from understanding is that a legitimate land or property owner can take goverment to court over illegal confistication of their property and win if in possession of documentary evidence.

The notion any State can just dictatorially commandeer what can be proven to legitimately belong to others is outrightly false, ignorant and uninformed.

The Tinubu family only recently won a land property battle judgement pending in Court for a few years. One would think, from how many Nigerians speak and make assumptions, that the Tinubu family can just take anything they want in Lagos as their own.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by 1000Capacity: 9:26am On Aug 13, 2021
ba7man:
Why?? Do they have C of O for the lands they occupied illegally??

Even their destroyed shanties can't cost up to N20k.
You have a good point

1 Like

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 13, 2021
ba7man:
Why?? Do they have C of O for the lands they occupied illegally??

Even their destroyed shanties can't cost up to N20k.

God bless you!!! I just don't know why the average Nigerian loves talking ignorantly and as if Nigeria is entirely a lawless jungle where anything goes.

No one can fight 100% legitimate land/property ownership , backed by documentary proof, in Court.

You either compensate the owner, kill them or lose to them in Court if they can satisfactorily prove they own the land/property in contention.

1 Like

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by 7lives: 9:47am On Aug 13, 2021
Drsnives:
Provide alternative for them pls

Alternative?.
Na by force to live for that side?.

2 Likes

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by 7lives: 9:53am On Aug 13, 2021
Drsnives:

Which village? Most of them are from there, their inheritance has been forcfully taken away from them without any compensation

Just look at this one o, how I miss Fashola.
So you don't know that there are villages in Ibeju Lekki?.
The indigenous people are Abule se owo, they are not squaters.
I know because I'm one of them, know this and know peace.

1 Like

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by 7lives: 9:59am On Aug 13, 2021
naptu2:

Which people are from where? I know that area very well. The people that are there are mechanics and squatters (Okada riders and traders). That area has been demarcated for the coastal road since the early 1980s. The government had reached agreements with the Idejo that own the land since the Jakande era.

If you went to Lekki Beach in the 1980s or 1990s you would see the roundabout before the beach (I don't mean the roundabout on the expressway). That roundabout is there because the Coastal Road is meant to go through that area.

Stop explaining to these story tellers.
You don't owe them any explanation.
Most of them wants to play Tunde Kelani's ti Oluwa ni ile, in Lagos.
In fact any of those squaters who tried to prove stubborn should be prosecuted, they are not related to any family in that environment.

1 Like

Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by MonogramMaster(m): 11:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
Lekki Regional Road passageway noted.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by MonogramMaster(m): 11:19pm On Aug 13, 2021
naptu2:
The Lekki Coastal Road and the Lekki Regional Road are two roads that have been designed to decongest the Lekki-Epe Expressway.

The Lekki Coastal Road has been on the masterplan for decades. It is meant to be on the ocean side of Lekki. In 2011, some of the people that protested against the tolling of the Lekki-Epe Expressway demanded that the Coastal Road should be built before the expressway is tolled. However, despite the fact that the place had been demarcated, nothing was done on the land and it was taken over by mechanics and other squatters (one of my mechanics had his garage on that site until he was evicted last year). The government has now decided to build the road and it has been evicting the illegal squatters for the past few months. The Lekki Coastal Road is meant to run from the Oniru/Victoria Island axis to the Lekki Free Trade Zone.

The Lekki Regional Road is being built on the Lagoon Side of Lekki. Part of the road will be made up of bridges on the Lagoon. It will connect VGC to Freedom Way in Lekki Phase 1.

Picture 1 below = The area that is meant to be the Coastal Road.
Picture 2 below = The Lekki Regional Road

Lekki Regional Road passageway noted.
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by 9jaRealist: 10:06am On Aug 15, 2021
Racoon:
Lawlessness is inherent in the DNA of most Nigerians especially Lagosians. I cant believe Iganmu Bridge area, Obalende under bridge etc can be that spacious and clean until the task force cleared those areas.

Most of those people are NOT Lagosians…
>
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 15, 2021
We admire how beautiful America and Europe is.

But it's hard for Nigerians to keep clean
Re: Lekki Coastal Road: Lagos Task Force To Prosecute 30 Squatters by 77star: 1:38am On Aug 16, 2021
ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano: Appeal Court Reverses Tribunal's Sack Of Reps Member, Yerima / (Busted Wit Pic) The Lady Interviewing Is A Buhari Supporter / Saraki Using Senate For Personal Interest — Sen Adamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.