Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th (16726 Views)

FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Italy Move Up To 4, Nigeria At 36 / FIFA Ranking: Belgium Remain Top, Italy & Denmark Climb As WCQ Make Their Mark / Super Falcons Move Up In Latest FIFA World Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by sslcrypt: 11:17am On Aug 13, 2021
OJay360:
England 4th, USA 10th, how is that even possible
They won their nation's cup
And also have been consistent in their friendlies and world cup qualifiers.

Modified: I meant the USA
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Faber(m): 11:21am On Aug 13, 2021
vickydevoka:

Na team work and performance Dem de follow. USA na king for dere side . Dem win friendly back to back

True Sha. I remembered when we played Friendly with them a certain Jozy Altidore and Dempsey put film for Super Eagles that day. I don't know where those two guys dey today.

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Faber(m): 11:21am On Aug 13, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

There is a way the ranking is calculated.

It uses the Elo rating, a type of statistical estimator.

Although, the Elo was originally created for measuring chess player strengths and the relative strengths of their opponents, it has been adopted for use in soccer.

Among variables considered are the current strengths or weaknesses of your opponents.

Let us consider that particular variable.

Italy knocked Belgium out of the Euros, one would expect Belgium to drop.

But no, it doesn't work that way.

If you considered Italy's strength before the Euros, you could look at the variations in their success rate, and obviously realize that their standard deviation is low, which means they were strong by Elo estimation.

So, Belgium lost to an equally strong team, and thus did not lose enough points to knock them off top spot.

Supposing Belgium lost to a weak team like Martineque, Belgium will lose significant points, and Martineque will gain significant points.

This may account for the United States taking the 10th position after beating Mexico to win the Gold Cup recently.

Argentina beating Brazil at the Copa America is not a significant result for massive point gain as their strengths are not too far apart.

Thanks my eyes don clear now, for the ranking abracadabra. Bravo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by purplekayc(m): 11:22am On Aug 13, 2021
Lamasta:
Issorite cool where our super eagles now
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Faber(m): 11:22am On Aug 13, 2021
yinkkus:

Firstly, Christian Pulisic is not the only U.S.A player known to the world.

Secondly, it is not about the individual players you have but it's about collective performance of that nation, get that right.

They (U.S.A) won the Concacaf Nations League and The Gold Cup (just like Portugal in Europe then) within some weeks apart beating Mexico in both finals after extra time with different set of players. (but Mexico is still next to/ahead of them in the rank because U.S.A just move steps up).
They also have good football administration all over. their women at least brought bronze this time around from tokyo.
try to understand.

Oops! their stats speaks for them o. Thanks
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Faber(m): 11:24am On Aug 13, 2021
vickydevoka:

Na team work and performance Dem de follow. USA na king for dere side . Dem win friendly back to back

Ok. If so they deserve that spot sha

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Kingluqman(m): 11:24am On Aug 13, 2021
ODJ124:
angry

Brazil ought to be First though...

Thread seen..
It's not election result in 9ja oo, they count their point.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 11:24am On Aug 13, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
First of all, that is men's rankings. And secondly, administration is not what is used for rankings but performance. USA is not meant to be there at all. AFCON is even better than Gold cup.

I know is men ranking because women also have their ranking i emphazised the administration that project both teams to those positions.
find out more as a football nation your administration count in ranking.
how would you say a country that just won two trophies with different players ( majority of the players who are from the domestic league, (that's also administration)) remain on the same spot in the ranking.
would algeria beat mexico to win nation's cup? our nation's cup is still in 2022 and what are the grade A friendly matches those african countries played, if not qualifiers? playing against seychelles, malawi and burundi.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by myrum(m): 11:34am On Aug 13, 2021
The festive season is round the corner. Thinking of travelling with little or no hassle!!

With little or no capital you can get that dream CAR of yours so you can enjoy an exciting summer travelling .

Or you planning renovating your homes with a brand new Air Condition, home Theater Player or a bigger inches Television

At Enterprise Leasing and Investment Limited we can help you achieve those dreams. Call us today lets meet your needs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by frog12: 11:35am On Aug 13, 2021
even USA ahead of GERMANY. hahahahaha

OJay360:
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by IgboWarlord(m): 11:36am On Aug 13, 2021
daveP:
grin

Somewhere in one AC conference room, Amaju Pinnick would be briefing stakeholders about the recent ranking and how his admin is working hard to ensure we enter top 10 cos we are better than some team there.

The oldies of FlexEnd Junction would rapturously applaud mediocrity and Foolishness and hail his prowess for knowing the job.

Someone would chip in that With Afcon, we'd overtake Wales and USA, alongside Senegal.

Then the deception continues!!!

Mediocrity Junction!!!

True,that.

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by ofiko123(m): 11:46am On Aug 13, 2021
Congratulations to Belgium on their sucess at the ranking at the top of world football..
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 11:49am On Aug 13, 2021
OJay360:

if there should be any complain at all, it shouldn't be on England and U.S.A. England just returned from a euro final while U.S.A just won two trophies (with different players).
people don't just focus widely on football.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by oneTIMEman(m): 11:49am On Aug 13, 2021
They suppose Bann Nigeria
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2021
phemmyfour:
USA did well in concacaf and England reached euro 2020 final

infact U.S.A won two trophies, the new concacaf nations league and the gold cup. (with different set of players.) what portugal did then.
people just focus in one direction and they call themselves football fans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 13, 2021
O great giant of Africa
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:07pm On Aug 13, 2021
zolajpower:

For england yes USA That remains a Mistry to me

that's because you don't follow football widely, a team (U.S.A) that just won two trophies nations league and the gold cup (with different set of players).
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
OJay360:
They are above who won the euro 2020 undecided

U.S.A is no 10 and Italy is no 5.

Italy closed the gap to England in no 4.

Remember England is also finalist.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2021
GeneralPula:

USA not so good in football..

It’s that their American soccer ball that they heartily fancy..

May be football (soccer) is not number 1 now preharps basketball but the fact is that U.S.A are doing fine in football and sports in general (all time king of olympics).

check their men and woman soccer records in their continent and olympics and world cup (all ages) record for women.
their men just won two trophies.
we are only awaiting them (men) to make big impact in the world cup (which is no child's play for any team).
they've been to 1/4 finals and other knock-out stages though.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by phemmyfour: 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2021
yinkkus:

infact U.S.A won two trophies, the new concacaf nations league and the gold cup. (with different set of players.) what portugal did then.
They are ignorant of so many things. They just love to argue
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:37pm On Aug 13, 2021
vickydevoka:

don't mind him. they don't follow football widely and they claim to be football fans.
U.S.A that won two trophies nations league and gold cup (with different sets of players).

1 Like

Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:39pm On Aug 13, 2021
phemmyfour:
They are ignorant of so many things. They just love to argue

na so brother.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by zolajpower: 12:42pm On Aug 13, 2021
yinkkus:

that's because you don't follow football widely, a team (U.S.A) that just won two trophies nations league and the gold cup (with different set of players).
Really grin . That's my fiancee home country . She won't like to see these comments oo grin Bros I beg epp me correct the mention make I correct my own to the USA deserve d top spot grin
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by zolajpower: 12:47pm On Aug 13, 2021
yinkkus:

Yes we re football fans but not football fanatics . Fanatics follow every thing with passion I'm only limited to European football .So now My fiancee and her brother will make me direct my passion now to the MLS .
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2021
joezy11:
Fifa and lies eh... Watin USA dey do 4 d list. Dem no suppose dey 40th position.

na because u no dey current/updated for football. a team that won two trophies, the nations league and the gold cup.
if you have any complain at all, it shouldn't be against U.S.A
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by vickydevoka(m): 12:56pm On Aug 13, 2021
yinkkus:

don't mind him. they don't follow football widely and they claim to be football fans.
U.S.A that won two trophies nations league and gold cup (with different sets of players).
When I told someone that Mexico was gonna win Nigeria in de last friendly. He said who is mexico in football compare to Nigeria. Na so I laf. I told him to check fifa ranking. N he said fifa ranking is rubbish. After de match he said Nigeria is a useless country
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2021
JohnBullMySon:
Maybe because they won the Gold cup. Even AFCON is better than that thing sef

not only Gold cup, you should also know that they won the nations league if you are a football fan.
and their gold cup and our nations cup have the same coefficient in fifa ranking. you can do your research.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by Abdul4trust1(m): 1:03pm On Aug 13, 2021
24kmagic:
What criteria is used to rank teams?

Is it the strength of their squad, their league, or just pure politics?

England and Spain, the two countries with the best leagues are ranked below Belgium? Na wa!

How on earth is Belgium the number one team when they haven't won anything in twenty years? They haven't even been to a final since I know them.

Italy (my beloved team) just won a trophy, yet, they are ranked below Belgium.

Rubbish ranking!
even with 34 matches unbeaten
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
sslcrypt:

They won their nation's cup
And also have been consistent in their friendlies and world cup qualifiers.

Modified: I meant the USA

not only did they win their nations cup (gold cup), they also won the new nations league. that's two trophies with different sets of players in weeks apart.
na only premiership dem dey follow, the so called football fans.
Re: FIFA World Ranking: Belgium Stay On Top, Nigeria At 34th by yinkkus: 1:25pm On Aug 13, 2021
frog12:
even USA ahead of GERMANY. hahahahaha

one(u.s.a) is rising with two recent trophies and the other (germany) is falling.
is not by big name is by performance.
as simple as that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Onome Ebi Bags Hat-Trick In Minsk FK 11-0 Win Over FC Gomel / Free Sports Betting...booking code...football BET9JA / Meet Whitney Osuigwe, The Reigning ITF Junior World Champion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.