Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:29 AM

Paul Ellis: Women, Silence & Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paul Ellis: Women, Silence & Church (180 Views)

Romans 7 : The Flesh Test - Paul Ellis / Have I Committed The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis / 3 Reasons Why I Don't Preach On Repentance ( "Turn From Sin" ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Paul Ellis: Women, Silence & Church by jimmynauty: 6:52am On Aug 13, 2021
Should Women Remain Silent in Church? What Does the Bible Really Say?
by Paul Ellis

Should women stay silent in church?

Hmm. Tough question. What does the Bible say?

NO
Act 1:14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the WOMEN.

NO
Act 2:4 ALL of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues.

NO
Act 2:17 I will pour out my Spirit on ALL people and your sons and DAUGHTERS will prophesy.

NO
Act 4:31 They were ALL filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.

NO
Rom 12:6-7 If YOUR GIFT is prophesying, then prophesy; if it is teaching, then teach.

NO
1 Cor 12:7 Now to EACH ONE the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

NO
1 Cor 14:5 Now I wish that you ALL spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy.

NO
1 Cor 14:31 For you can ALL prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.

NO
1 Cor 14:39 Therefore, my brothers and SISTERS, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

NO
1 Pet 4:10 EACH OF YOU should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms.

NO
1 Pet 4:11 If ANYONE speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.

Selah.

If that doesn't settle the issue for you, check out Acts 21:9, Romans 12:6, 16:1, 3, 12, 1 Corinthians 12:11, 27, 14: 27, 29, 39, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 3:28, and 1 Peter 2:9.

You should have no doubt about the Bible’s position on this subject: Women are NOT to remain silent in the church. For the sake of the body, let every part function as God intended.

But wait – what about 1 Cor. 14:35?

The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says.

These are not Paul’s words; he is repeating a question put to him by the Corinthians. In the Greek and Jewish communities, women were expected to keep silent in the assemblies. They even had laws about it.

“Shouldn’t we follow their example and have the women stay silent in the church?” asked the Corinthians.

“Absolutely not,” thundered the apostle.

What then shall we say, brothers and SISTERS? When you come together, EACH OF YOU has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

1 Cor. 14:26

One more time for emphasis: Women should NOT stay silent in church but should be encouraged to speak, sing, teach, pray, prophesy, and yes, even preach and lead, as the Spirit guides.

But can women really do all these things?

Enough already. Don't you know we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses who marvel to think that we would even ask such an unbiblical question? That we have bought into an idea so far removed from scripture, testifies to the perverse power of tradition and patriarchy.

It is time for us to renew our minds and stop muzzling half of the body of Christ.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below.

---

Other articles about women in the church. Share them if you dare:

Are women permitted to teach?

Are women more easily deceived?

Do you have a Biblical view of women?

How did Jesus empower women?

If a women can’t be a husband, she can’t be a pastor, right?

Is the church too feminine?

Is the Bible sexist?

Jesus listened to women, why don’t we?

Jesus, pioneer of women’s education

Jesus stands with the accused

Should women be silent in church?

Submission doesn’t mean what you think it means

What does the Bible say about women pastors?

Who submits in marriage?

Women preachers? Where’s that in the Bible?!

Women pastors in the Bible

---

Find out what readers saying about Paul's book The Silent Queen: Why the Church Needs Women to Find their Voice?

Paul Ellis | August 12, 2021 at 3:33 am | Categories: church, women | URL: https:///pNzdT-4zc
Comment See all comments
Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Escape to Reality.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://escapetoreality.org/2021/08/12/should-women-remain-silent-in-church/

Thanks for flying with

(1) (Reply)

International Demons Have Fallen / Recipes Of Endless Love - Emoji Devotional / God First And Religion First

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.