Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,022 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Got A Remote EU Job But… - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Got A Remote EU Job But… (2510 Views)

My Journey To Getting A Remote Job / How Can I Get A Remote Back End Job / Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Got A Remote EU Job But… by ReactJs(m): 11:20am On Aug 13, 2021
So i recently applied for a backend position at a company in Europe and luckily i was shortlisted to take live coding test which i ended performing well.

I was contacted a again and hopped on a video call with the other developers asking some technical questions. I was asked about my salary expectations and out of excitement i didn’t bill them well. It’s quite a big company and I feel like i should have asked for me.

I was contacted few days ago with a contract to start with the price i told them initially.

Anyways just wanted to remind my brethren here not to get too excited about jobs and always try to keep a cool head and also negotiate better.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by olubantylove(m): 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2021
OP, can you help with any info on getting remote jobs especially outside Nigeria?
And can I contact you?
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by ReactJs(m): 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2021
olubantylove:
OP, can you help with any info on getting remote jobs especially outside Nigeria?
And can I contact you?

Hey bro. There’s quite a number of sites you get remote jobs. There are some that requires you to take assessments before becoming part of the network. There’s flexjobs toptal crossover justremote and most importantly, LinkedIn .

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Lindner: 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2021
This has been a challenge since the beginning of the pandemic. Most western companies are simply exploiting hires from third world countries. They get the same value(sometimes, better) in terms of skills for less. I work remotely with a US based tech company and I see this all the time.

Sometimes, we make it easy for these employers to exploit us as well by setting the bar too low. You already have an idea what a company based in Europe is expected to pay for your level, just simply ask for that. Perhaps, you were too desperate.

I've seen highly skilled people from African countries being offered as low as $800 per month. I even spoke to few during our paired programming sessions what their expectations are if they were to get a new offer. None of them is expecting to be paid above $1.5k whereas their counterpart based outside of Africa is demanding for $4k cos he knows what their law says.

Don't worry bro, get the experience and launch out again. And learn the art of negotiation.
ReactJs:
So i recently applied for a backend position at a company in Europe and luckily i was shortlisted to take live coding test which i ended performing well.

I was contacted a again and hopped on a video call with the other developers asking some technical questions. I was asked about my salary expectations and out of excitement i didn’t bill them well. It’s quite a big company and I feel like i should have asked for me.

I was contacted few days ago with a contract to start with the price i told them initially.

Anyways just wanted to remind my brethren here not to get too excited about jobs and always try to keep a cool head and also negotiate better.

4 Likes

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by lordally(m): 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2021
ReactJs:

Congrats bro!! It's a win win... Cos you can still ask for a pay rise after some months and they would have to do it if you've been exceptional na. grin
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:22pm On Aug 13, 2021
Lindner:
This has been a challenge since the beginning of the pandemic. Most western companies are simply exploiting hires from third world countries. They get the same value(sometimes, better) in terms of skills for less. I work remotely with a US based tech company and I see this all the time.

Sometimes, we make it easy for these employers to exploit us as well by setting the bar too low. You already have an idea what a company based in Europe is expected to pay for your level, just simply ask for that. Perhaps, you were too desperate.

I've seen highly skilled people from African countries being offered as low as $800 per month. I even spoke to few during our paired programming sessions what their expectations are if they were to get a new offer. None of them is expecting to be paid above $1.5k whereas their counterpart based outside of Africa is demanding for $4k cos he knows what their law says.

Don't worry bro, get the experience and launch out again. And learn the art of negotiation.
800 USD for a junior developer who is just starting out is not that bad but the same amount for a senior or mid level Dev Is a tragedy.
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by lordally(m): 1:33pm On Aug 13, 2021
Lindner:

If I'm to get a junior developer role or an internship in a Us based tech company, how much should I be paid ?
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by ReactJs(m): 1:38pm On Aug 13, 2021
Lindner:

Lol thanks for the input bro but i wouldn’t say i was desperate. I’m currently working so i just wanted to try getting a full time international job cuz i wanted change and new experiences.

The issue was when i converted the money i ask for in naira, bro it was like x4 of what I’m currently earning and it thought it was okay for me. If you dey earn that type of amount for Lagos , omo you’re a goddamn big boy and Buhari economy no go disturb you. It’s just that it’s a company in a lucrative industry and i was just kinda like hoping i asked for more.

Also the job came very fast. I didn’t expect to get one so soon cuz I’ve not even been applying for up to 10days.
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Lindner: 1:55pm On Aug 13, 2021
Congrats bro. It's a starting point.

The currency conversion rate is usually what tricks people to think the pay is all right (which could be) until when they start comparing. The dissatisfaction sets in when you start interacting with some colleagues(sometimes junior) and they open up about their own offer. The good thing is you can always move when you're ready.

ReactJs:

Lol thanks for the input bro but i wouldn’t say i was desperate. I’m currently working so i just wanted to try getting a full time international job cuz i wanted change and new experiences.

The issue was when i converted the money i ask for in naira, bro it was like x4 of what I’m currently earning and it thought it was okay for me. If you dey earn that type of amount for Lagos , omo you’re a goddamn big boy and Buhari economy no go disturb you. It’s just that it’s a company in a lucrative industry and i was just kinda like hoping i asked for more.

Also the job came very fast. I didn’t expect to get one so soon cuz I’ve not even been applying for up to 10days.
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Lindner: 2:08pm On Aug 13, 2021
Bro, there's no other way to say this. $800 is bad for a software engineer. Perhaps, you're talking about a different job role. Don't get me wrong, there might be people getting paid less than that, but it's exploitation. If the employer is local, might be okay in naira terms.

If you're a software engineer and you know your shit, please don't be conditioned by your environment. You can take it just to get your foot in the door but don't consider that a fair compensation. I personally know a guy who lives in Lagos and earns $4k/month as at November, 2020. I don't know about now.

tensazangetsu20:

800 USD for a junior developer who is just starting out is not that bad but the same amount for a senior or mid level Dev Is a tragedy.

2 Likes

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:27pm On Aug 13, 2021
Lindner:
Bro, there's no other way to say this. $800 is bad for a software engineer. Perhaps, you're talking about a different job role. Don't get me wrong, there might be people getting paid less than that, but it's exploitation. If the employer is local, might be okay in naira terms.

If you're a software engineer and you know your shit, please don't be conditioned by your environment. You can take it just to get your foot in the door but don't consider that a fair compensation. I personally know a guy who lives in Lagos and earns $4k/month as at November, 2020. I don't know about now.

Yeah I know it's low but for someone who just spent six months doing Udemy. It's not a bad salary. In two three years the person can be making 4k or more.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 13, 2021
I once asked for too much lost out on a remote offer. It could have worked both ways.

You can always get another, just focus on enjoying the salary increase for now.
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Etinosa1234: 3:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
ReactJs:

Just to be clear...

How much u bill dem
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by earthsync(f): 4:18pm On Aug 13, 2021
ReactJs:

Okay thanks for the advise
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Alusiizizi(m): 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2021
ReactJs:

Virtually every developer from under-developed countries make the same mistake that you made, myself included. Deal with it. $800 a month in Nigeria in such a desperately dysfunctional economy puts you in lower big boy status. Not yet a big man, but you can get there by always keeping your eyes on the next level up. Learn, learn and keep learning. And with the next gig that you come across, triple(quadrupule) your demand. I work on a freelance basis, and when I started, I was doing about $40~$50 per job. Now, I have many steady clients that pay very well and I don't give a second glance to any new jobs that don't have at least $400 attached to it. You'll get there.

3 Likes

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by africonn: 8:04pm On Aug 13, 2021
ReactJs:

Congrats sir,kindly share your linkedin profile, let's learn

2 Likes

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Karleb(m): 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2021
Why not asked to be paid the salary range of their software developers in the role you applied?

Anyways, congratulations bro. cool cool

One thing I learnt, (at least from YouTube videos grin) is to throw back the question at them. Now if they insist, you give them a wide range.

Say between $1,000 and $2,000.

2 Likes

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by niel63(m): 11:16pm On Aug 14, 2021
ReactJs:

Hey bro. There’s quite a number of sites you get remote jobs. There are some that requires you to take assessments before becoming part of the network. There’s flexjobs toptal crossover justremote and most importantly, LinkedIn .

Most importantly o!
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by racerve(m): 11:33am On Aug 15, 2021
Karleb:
Why not asked to be paid the salary range of their software developers in the role you applied?

Anyways, congratulations bro. cool cool

One thing I learnt, (at least from YouTube videos grin) is to throw back the question at them. Now if they insist, you give them a wide range.

Say between $1,000 and $2,000.

Exactly this. Never mention a figure first because you'll either price yourself out (if your figure is too high) or you'll leave money on the table (if it's too low).

Mentioning a range unfortunately also has the same effect, as you'll anchor the negotiation to the lower bound. The employer knows that's the minimum they can pay you to accept the job, so it's what they'll come back with.

You can say something like "I don't have an exact figure in mind, however I want this move to be a step forward for me in terms of responsibility and compensation. What salary range did you have in mind for this position?". When they respond, then you can negotiate from there.

That's what I always say and it's helped me a lot over my career. There are a few times I received an initial offer considerably greater than the amount I had in mind. That's money I'd have lost if I mentioned my figure first.

I got this from here, btw: https://fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 15, 2021
racerve:

Exactly this. Never mention a figure first because you'll either price yourself out (if your figure is too high) or you'll leave money on the table (if it's too low).

Mentioning a range unfortunately also has the same effect, as you'll anchor the negotiation to the lower bound. The employer knows that's the minimum they can pay you to accept the job, so it's what they'll come back with.

You can say something like "I don't have an exact figure in mind, however I want this move to be a step forward for in in terms of responsibility and compensation. What salary range did you have in mind for this position?". When they respond, then you can negotiate from there.

That's what I always say and it's helped me a lot over my career. There are a few times I received an initial offer considerably greater than my salary expectation.

I got this from here: https://fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-expectations-interview-question

Well said bro
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by ReactJs(m): 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2021
africonn:

Congrats sir,kindly share your linkedin profile, let's learn

Thanks boss . What i'll just say is, be good at contemporary technologies. That's if you're interested in working abroad anyway. A lot of these companies have already adopted these technologies and the up and coming ones are looking towards adopting it too.
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by ReactJs(m): 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2021
Alusiizizi:

Virtually every developer from under-developed countries make the same mistake that you made, myself included. Deal with it. $800 a month in Nigeria in such a desperately dysfunctional economy puts you in lower big boy status. Not yet a big man, but you can get there by always keeping your eyes on the next level up. Learn, learn and keep learning. And with the next gig that you come across, triple(quadrupule) your demand. I work on a freelance basis, and when I started, I was doing about $40~$50 per job. Now, I have many steady clients that pay very well and I don't give a second glance to any new jobs that don't have at least $400 attached to it. You'll get there.
Re: Got A Remote EU Job But… by africonn: 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2021
ReactJs:

Thanks boss . What i'll just say is, be good at contemporary technologies. That's if you're interested in working abroad anyway. A lot of these companies have already adopted these technologies and the up and coming ones are looking towards adopting it too.

Thanks boss

(1) (Reply)

How Do I A dd Free Sms Script To My Site / Introduction To Crm Application Development Using Remedy / What’s the Most Sophisticated Software Ever Written

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.