Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:40 AM

Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race (24185 Views)

Hichilema: We Do Not Support Gay/lesbian Rights, Zambia Is A Christian Nation / Pictures From The Inauguration Of Hakainde Hichilema, Zambian New President / Iris Kaingu Bounced From Meeting Prince Harry In Zambia. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by chukel(m): 8:59am On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

Presidency in Zambia is for a 5-year term, of which cannot exceed two tenures.

Unlike Nigeria where the Vice President continues the term when the President dies in Office, a bye-election will be conducted to replace the President according to the Zambia Constitution.

Levy Mwanawasa was President from 2002 and won re-election in 2006, but suffered a stroke in June 2008 and eventually died in August same year....His Deputy, Rupiah Banda won nomination from his UNIP party, contested and beat Michael Sata of the Patriotic Front to complete the tenure to 2011.

Banda ran and lost to Michael Sata who won in 2011.
Co-incidentally, Michael Sata died in office in October 2014, hence the bye-election was conducted in 2016 wherein his then Minister of Defence, Edgar Lungu won.

The Zambia Constitution states that a full term is considered when the President has been in Office for at least three of his five years, be it completed or substantive.

However, the Constitution was changed in 2015 wherein the Vice President will complete the tenure of a President who dies in Office.
thanks
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by FLYFIRE(m): 9:00am On Aug 16, 2021
I hope he does not behave like the dullard somewhere after many defeats. Congrats to him
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by fergie001: 9:06am On Aug 16, 2021
chukel:
thanks

Shinor:

Thanks for the info
You are welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Iriruaga100(m): 9:07am On Aug 16, 2021
At last China Lungu lost to HH!! HH is certainly going to be like the dunce in Aso Rock.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Lavidalo: 9:13am On Aug 16, 2021
Finally lol
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Thazard(m): 9:18am On Aug 16, 2021
GoldenJAT:
This one he had been contesting and losing!!
Make him no show them PEPPER for constantly voting against him till now.
Naso one man for Nigeria do o!
Lol Zambia shall be free by Kaunda
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by wink2015(m): 9:24am On Aug 16, 2021
GOOD FOR THE GOOD PEOPLE OF ZAMBIA.

Good for the development of democracy in Africa.

The new leader should be a father to all and do his best to improve on the lives of the common Zambia citizen.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Udumeh: 9:27am On Aug 16, 2021
What could happen to wicked ruler
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TENHEU22(m): 9:43am On Aug 16, 2021
If you visit chattam house you will be President especially when you have cows. Congratulations do the opposite in Zambia.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by grandlexuz(m): 9:44am On Aug 16, 2021
ignis:
This can never happen in Nigeria...

By the way, the population of Kano State is more than the population of entire Zambia as a country.

I wonder why most Nigerians are always obsessed by a population that lives below the poverty line.. Sweden has a population lesser than Kano State but a GDP higher than Nigeria. Do you have anything to say.?

For the records the population of Zambia at 18 million exceeds that of Kano State.

1 Like

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by FarahAideed: 9:45am On Aug 16, 2021
For him to contest 6 times before he won I hope he doesn't become another Buhari
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by jditimiya(m): 10:13am On Aug 16, 2021
Congrats after a long run for what he believe in. But my problem is hope he will not be like some African leaders after gaining power they show their true colour. We are watching him to do the best and make the country peaceful and united.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Ladiesdoctor(m): 10:26am On Aug 16, 2021
I hope Zambia have not made same kind of mistake that Nigeria made in 2015.

Devil you know is more better than Bubu
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Benbellamor: 10:54am On Aug 16, 2021
Congratulations... Lungu has sold Zambia to the Chinese Airport And Telecommunications plus Natural resources are run by China...China police... Army and banks....when Yvonne chaka chaka visited Zambia and declare support for the people to take their resources... She got deported and disgraced... This is a lesson... Now he is loosing in million votes
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by lexyclasy: 11:48am On Aug 16, 2021
2special:
Congratulations to the New President of Zambia.... Obasanjo was allowed to visit Hichilema while Hichilema was in Prison, so many diplomats even the first President of the same Zambia were not allowed to visit Hichilema.....Hate or Like him, Obasanjo get mouth in international Politics.

It always bothered me how smaller countries can can conduct free and fair elections without interference from the seat of government, just look at small Benin Republic how they resist lawlessness from us in the case of Sunday Igboho, where are we going from here , who did this to us, we are gradually becoming a laughing stock within the comity of Nations, why cant our leaders make laws that will be punishable in deeds and in acts, rather than lips service and selective judgements, there is no way we can move forwards if offences are not addressed within the international acceptable standard.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TMKsouth: 12:08pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

That was when they finished counting the votes and there was apprehension that if delayed, Lungu could do something before morning.

There was tension and everyone was on red alert.

Kudos to the electoral commission - I heard they really stood their ground.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by fergie001: 12:13pm On Aug 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

Kudos to the electoral commission - I heard they really stood their ground.
Yea........It wasn't easy.

Lungu, at a point....was alleging irregularities in the election. However, he just congratulated Hichelima.

Btw.........I was listening to your President at the Zondo Commission some days ago......I was just laughing, don't ask me why? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TMKsouth: 12:52pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

Yea........It wasn't easy.

Lungu, at a point....was alleging irregularities in the election. However, he just congratulated Hichelima.

Btw.........I was listening to your President at the Zondo Commission some days ago......I was just laughing, don't ask me why? grin grin

It's great Lungu conceded defeat, it's a big leap forward for the country cool

You know I'm gonna ask about Ramaphosa at Zondo Commission grin Most of us stopped watching coz he was putting party before country as per usual ANC mandate.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by fergie001: 2:06pm On Aug 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

It's great Lungu conceded defeat, it's a big leap forward for the country cool

You know I'm gonna ask about Ramaphosa at Zondo Commission grin Most of us stopped watching coz he was putting party before country as per usual ANC mandate.
Cyril was obviously not telling all of the truth....
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TMKsouth: 2:20pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

Cyril was obviously not telling all of the truth....

Its what Zuma should have done instead he ran away and is now languishing in prison grin (sort of).
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by fergie001: 2:30pm On Aug 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

Its what Zuma should have done instead he ran away and is now languishing in prison grin (sort of).
Heard he isn't doing fine health-wise. He really will be in there for some time.

Heard Omotoso's case is coming up @ the Port Elizabeth High Court today.....
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TMKsouth: 2:37pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

Heard he isn't doing fine health-wise. He really will be in there for some time.

Heard Omotoso's case is coming up @ the Port Elizabeth High Court today.....

I don't believe the Zuma ill-health story. Anyway, he could be in hospital for 6 months according to his doctor.

Another case of wasting the courts' time, Omotoso. They should just throw him in jail together with JZ and throw away the key. Or do u consider your homeboi innocent? grin

Very few people get this sort of dramatic arrest treatment in SA - he's definitely a crook.

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by fergie001: 3:03pm On Aug 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

I don't believe the Zuma ill-health story. Anyway, he could be in hospital for 6 months according to his doctor.

Another case of wasting the courts' time, Omotoso. They should just throw him in jail together with JZ and throw away the key. Or do u consider your homeboi innocent? grin

Very few people get this sort of dramatic arrest treatment in SA - he's definitely a crook.
Case adjourned to 17/08/21.

But did Omotoso, Sulani & Sitho really commit the crime?
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TMKsouth: 3:08pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

Case adjourned to 17/08/21.

But did Omotoso, Sulani & Sitho really commit the crime?

Lol grin, yes - from the public gallery.

1 Like

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by fergie001: 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2021
TMKsouth:

Lol grin, yes - from the public gallery.
grin grin grin

I find it very incredulous that a Pastor will be involved in the stuffs he is been accused of.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by TMKsouth: 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

grin grin grin

I find it very incredulous that a Pastor will be involved in the stuffs he is been accused of.

We've had our fair share of crazy pastors in SA.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by mumu9gerian: 3:39pm On Aug 16, 2021
fergie001:

Haikande Hichilema
I hope this one no go be their own Buhari because our own here na mistake

Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Elonmuzk(m): 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2021
I wish this could happen in Nigeria #WishfulThinking grin grin
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by emmytex311: 5:02pm On Aug 16, 2021
That just reminds me of 2015 when Nigeria made same mistake.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by Sheriman(m): 5:20pm On Aug 16, 2021
After all this glamorous victory an average African leader will still run a corrupt and injustice Government.
Re: Hichilema Defeats Incumbent, Lungu In Zambia Presidential Race by nelsonchek(m): 7:07am On Aug 17, 2021
2special:
Congratulations to the New President of Zambia.... Obasanjo was allowed to visit Hichilema while Hichilema was in Prison, so many diplomats even the first President of the same Zambia were not allowed to visit Hichilema.....Hate or Like him, Obasanjo get mouth in international Politics.

he is the most influential African leader presently.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ukraine Assembles 'IT Army' To Hack Sites From Russia, Allie / Russia Invasion: Scores Protest In Spain Over Soaring Cost Of Food, Light, Fuel / Lawlessness Is A Crime Against Our Country – South African President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.