Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,671 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Why Are Most Phd Researches In Nigeria Not Solving Any Real Life Problem? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Most Phd Researches In Nigeria Not Solving Any Real Life Problem? (239 Views)

Adamu: I Failed As A Minister For Not Solving Challenges In Educational Sector / All About Science: Key Facts, Researches, And Discoveries In Physics / TETFund Gives N12bn Grant To 12 Universities To Pioneer Researches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Most Phd Researches In Nigeria Not Solving Any Real Life Problem? by Mode4: 8:55pm On Aug 19, 2021
If your PhD didn't solve a real life problem, It's nothing but another fancy degree added to the ones you previously acquired.

But to be honest that is what a PhD is supposed to do—solve a real life problem.

A PhD research is supposed to be a groundbreaking research. Something that will provide answers to a key societal problem.

Scholars, especially, shouldn't only spend years of doing research just to publish it in a random academic journal and then earn the title that comes with it.

Research should be novel and highly valuable, contributing immensely to the needs of humanity.

In Nigeria, we seem to have our way around everything. I mean we cut corners even at PhD level—the highest level of education, quite sad.

PhD students cheat in exam, manipulate their research result; Gather data from already published sources and bribe their way through the system.

A friend told me today about a woman, a top politician who was only told to take a bow and walk away when it was time to defend her thesis.

She didn't defend her thesis as stipulated all because she has the money and power to maneuver her way.

Nigeria which way

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Phd Researches In Nigeria Not Solving Any Real Life Problem? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 19, 2021
PhD on paper just to show off and intimidate students.

Nothing dey brain.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Most Phd Researches In Nigeria Not Solving Any Real Life Problem? by guiddoti: 10:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
I have also wondered too. Many likes case studies as if all research depends on them.
I love research that will end patent, not all this recycle using a case study PDP plc vs APC aliens.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Official JAMB Cut Off Mark 2021 / 2022 Fully Funded Scholarships In The Uk / World Teachers’ Day 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.