Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,757 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:56 AM

Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? (7931 Views)

Shehu Sani Commends Military, Service Chiefs For "Improved Security" / Buhari: Attack On NDA Can’t Dampen Morale Of Our Military / Para-Military Service Chiefs Pay Courtesy Visit On Bola Tinubu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by naptu2: 9:16am On Aug 20, 2021
Conner44:
Is it a part of their official or ceremonial uniform? Why would our military top shots be acting like they all developed serious arthritis at the peak of their careers?

This trend is somehow, Nigeria is the only country I know that allows this. It looks wrong to me because it portrays our military top shots as being incapacitated or weak.

Abi is it ‘denge-pose’? Bugga? undecided I don’t know if I’m the only one who finds it distasteful.

Swagger sticks. I'm off to search for my old post.
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by naptu2: 9:21am On Aug 20, 2021
Conner44:
Is it a part of their official or ceremonial uniform? Why would our military top shots be acting like they all developed serious arthritis at the peak of their careers?

This trend is somehow, Nigeria is the only country I know that allows this. It looks wrong to me because it portrays our military top shots as being incapacitated or weak.

Abi is it ‘denge-pose’? Bugga? undecided I don’t know if I’m the only one who finds it distasteful.

naptu2:

They originated in military swagger sticks which indicate the position or regiment of the soldier (e.g. Brigade of Guards). We inherited them from the British. The top of those walking sticks can be extended and they then become a makeshift chair that the soldier can sit on when in the field.

Swagger sticks and walking sticks have always existed in the Nigerian Army. General Ironsi used a wooden crocodile as his swagger stick and this scared quite a few people who thought that it was his "juju".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagger_stick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pace_stick

Below are pictures of Ironsi, Murtala Mohammed and Obasanjo with their swagger sticks or walking sticks. You can also see Goodluck Jonathan sitting on his walking stick.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by yetunsbay(m): 9:46am On Aug 20, 2021
It is because they are mad
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by Joeyfizzo: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

The one they carry is a Staff.

Can be used in the jungle as a seat. (The head opens up to form one)

Since Generals are not expected to squat while issuing commands.

Pretty much every Senior Officer (Maj. And above) can have a swagger stick. In some Army it is issued officially.

RSMs are NCOs that use a stick. But not the swagger type.
point of correction...Generals don't use Swagger sticks..it is meant for RSMs, parade gunners, NWOs in the Navy and thier likes in the Airforce. Generals carry Staff of Office. A swagger stick is a correctional stick on d parade ground for issueing blows to cadets or trainees on d parade ground who are not catching up wit drills...it is also a staff of office for very senior NCOs wit appointment
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by zoedew: 10:51am On Aug 20, 2021
Nbotee:
They all decided to copy Ironsi
Croc Staff General!
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by zoedew: 11:00am On Aug 20, 2021
Joeyfizzo:
point of correction...Generals don't use Swagger sticks..it is meant for RSMs, parade gunners, NWOs in the Navy and thier likes in the Airforce. Generals carry Staff of Office. A swagger stick is a correctional stick on d parade ground for issueing blows to cadets or trainees on d parade ground who are not catching up wit drills...it is also a staff of office for very senior NCOs wit appointment
Hail! Bullseye! Remember NA Depot at Zaria!! That RSM no get Part 2!!!
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by jumper524(m): 11:09am On Aug 20, 2021
2special:
It just symbolizes military pride and the swagger stick can only be use by officer's of the rank of brigadier general and above... sometimes it makes them look smart.
from captains.
The stick changes at major, changes again at conel and still changes at general.
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by 2special(m): 11:14am On Aug 20, 2021
jumper524:
from captains.
The stick changes at major, changes again at conel and still changes at general.
oh
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by TheKingOfCrumb: 12:02pm On Aug 20, 2021
The stick is a weapon
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 20, 2021
Well irukere la ma fi mo oba and Opa la ma fi mo ijoye (chiefs ) ... You grab lol .. All those fat tummy bastards done chop too many money them no fit walk straight again simple
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by muller101(m): 6:26pm On Aug 20, 2021
TarOrfeeek:

The one they carry is a Staff.

Can be used in the jungle as a seat. (The head opens up to form one)

Since Generals are not expected to squat while issuing commands.

Pretty much every Senior Officer (Maj. And above) can have a swagger stick. In some Army it is issued officially.

RSMs are NCOs that use a stick. But not the swagger type.
RSM. Road side mechanic.
Re: Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks? by millhouse: 9:43am On Apr 16, 2023

(1) (2) (Reply)

Alleged N3.7trn Budget Padding: ‘Akpabio Will Not Resign’ – Senate Replies PDP / Over 3,000 Lagos Community Residents In Distress, Rendered Homeless / Biafra: MASSOB, Niger Delta Group Team Up To Actualise Struggle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.