Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB (1993 Views)

President Buhari: Our Policy Has Made Nigeria A Fertilizer Powerhouse In Africa / Yinka Odumakin: Buhari Made Nigeria Global Secretariat Of Poverty In 5 Years / Buhari Made Nigeria Headquarter Of Poverty - Reno Omokri Tells APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Voice22: 12:39pm On Aug 20, 2021
Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB
Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB
By Ukpe Philip on August 18, 2021
Nigeria’s former Head of State, Ibrahim Badamusi Babangida (IBB), has denied having plan to Islamise Nigeria when he enrolled the country as a member of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.

The former military leader who recently clocked 80, made the clarification during an interview on Channels TV.

The OIC consists of about 50 countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and Nigeria became its member in 1986 under IBB.

The OIC models the collective voice of Muslims as well as protects the interest of the Muslim world.

IBB’s registration of Nigeria as a member of the OIC had at different times sparked criticisms from individuals and groups who argued that the move contravened provisions of the Nigerian 1999 Constitution.

But the retired army general said, ” No government has ever said so (that Nigeria is an Islamic state), including my own government.”

He explained that, “We never said Islam is the official religion of Nigeria. But our constitution allows us to enter any organisation for the benefit of the country or for the benefit of the people of the country.”

Nigeria’s membership of the Islamic organisation had since resulted in several criticisms from religious groups and Civil Society Organisations.

Some groups have accused the former Head of State of engineering a religious crisis in the country by that singular act.

“The relationship between Christians and Muslims deteriorated when Nigeria was admitted as a full member of Organisation of the Islamic Conference,” said DR Maryam Abdullahi, a delegate representing Civil Society Organisation, at the 2014 National Conference.

Most recently (May 26), the IOC called on Nigeria to join other Islamic countries to punish Israel for launching rockets into Gaza, Palestine, in retaliation to rockets fired into the country by the Islamic Resistance Movement popularly called Hamas.

But the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) which is the apex body of Christians in the country criticised the call and warned President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration against taking sides with the IOC.

CAN had said: “We are worried that Nigeria which was wrongly labelled an Islamic State because of her unlawful membership of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC) has been taking side with the Palestinians since the emergence of President Muhammadu Buhari. Hence why the Turkish President asked Nigeria to identify with the Palestinians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsg_32GVKLs

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by PrinceOfLagos: 12:41pm On Aug 20, 2021
That was when you made the biggest mistake of your life

2 Likes

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Flyingngel(m): 12:44pm On Aug 20, 2021
Are you trying to regret it?

1 Like

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by jlinkd78(m): 12:52pm On Aug 20, 2021
Noted
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by alizma: 12:57pm On Aug 20, 2021
He knew what he was doing, however, a member is free to renounce his membership.

1 Like

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by OkuFaba(m): 1:03pm On Aug 20, 2021
Not comfortable seeing these old hogs on news, can they just die and lets forget them

3 Likes

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Wiseandtrue(f): 1:05pm On Aug 20, 2021
Voice22:

But the retired army general said, ” No government has ever said so (that Nigeria is an Islamic state), including my own government.”

He explained that, “We never said Islam is the official religion of Nigeria. But our constitution allows us to enter any organisation for the benefit of the country or for the benefit of the people of the country.”

I hope the interviewer asked this sane question
"What benefit has the organization being to Nigeria "

Nigeria is a secular state for Christ sake

If the Christian had done this, what would have been the reaction of the self acclaimed religion of peace

3 Likes

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by ThreeEyedRaven: 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2021
It will never be well with you

1 Like

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by flamingREED(m): 1:07pm On Aug 20, 2021
Then say it without wishing otherwise.
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 20, 2021
I think this has ended the speculation by some dunce that it was obj that took Nigeria to such pit

But ask yourself if NATO was full blown Christian coalition would muric not be shitting in it's pants if Nigeria said it was joining them?
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by LordLugard1: 1:17pm On Aug 20, 2021
IBB the snake(Maradona aka dribbler or evil genius)
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Africana1123(m): 1:51pm On Aug 20, 2021
O
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Jones4190(m): 1:52pm On Aug 20, 2021
This is coming from the founded member of PDP
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by NIJJAking(m): 2:09pm On Aug 20, 2021
Repent now of your sinful evil ways to avoid spending your eternity in hell fire after you die. Jesus Christ love and warns you to repent and convert now to Christianity to avoid hell fire. Only Jesus Christ can save you by his death on the cross and his blood which washes away your sins, any other ways ( Islam, paganism, Hinduism, atheism, etc) can not save you. Be wise while you still have the chance accept Jesus Christ now and save your soul from hell. Be wiser than Satan and follow the one true God. This is the eternal truth from the spiritual realm.
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 20, 2021
Wiseandtrue:

I hope the interviewer asked this sane question
"What benefit has the organization being to Nigeria "

Nigeria is a secular state for Christ sake

If the Christian had done this, what would have been the reaction of the self acclaimed religion of peace
Na there way

As a secular nation that has half Christian population they would support Palestinians against israel when we have more dealing with israel than Palestine including sharing mutal allies with israel

But let christians hold their personal support for israel they would be crying

Turkey would be dragging this secular nation into it's Islamic shithole battles, we would be subscribing with Niger Delta wealth

1 Like

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Gadafii: 2:12pm On Aug 20, 2021
If the Constitution allows Nigeria to join any international organization, that same Constitution should have a clause that also allows Nigeria to pull out of any inconsequential organization, what have we benefited from OIC
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by AntiBeEmCe(m): 2:14pm On Aug 20, 2021
So Ibb just went ahead and added Nigeria as an Islamic state, without conferring with anybody.

That's how few generals sat down and drafted the 1999 constitution that is now plaguing everyone.
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by igbowoman: 2:30pm On Aug 20, 2021
OkuFaba:
Not comfortable seeing these old hogs on news, can they just die and lets forget them

My sentiments too
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by valentineuwakwe(m): 2:42pm On Aug 20, 2021
Stupid reason and ignorant from this northern people.....how have we as a country benefited from this act till date?

1 Like

Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by yemmight(m): 2:44pm On Aug 20, 2021
Confession time. Death is knocking at the door.
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by orisa37: 5:48pm On Aug 20, 2021
IF THE JOINING OF OIC BY IBB, A MILITARY HEAD OF STATE BY COUP, CONTRAVENES THE CONSTITUTION, THEN THE SIMPLE SOLUTION IS FOR NASS TO RESOLVE TO WITHDRAW NIGERIA'S MEMBERSHIP IMMEDIATELY!!!
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Jamesbiodun(m): 5:49pm On Aug 20, 2021
Nigeria is already a Islamic state angry
Re: Why I Made Nigeria Member Of Islamic Organisation – IBB by Racoon(m): 5:51pm On Aug 20, 2021
How Has being a member of OIC helped Nigeria? Guess it is the provision of funds for sponsoring fanatic Islamic terrorism as Nigerian BH sponsors based in the UAE were caught and indicted for terrorism in that country?

(1) (Reply)

Sardauna Warned Us About This Igbo Mentality - Arewa Youths / APC Is Laying Thorns In Tinubu's Path / Tired Looking Picture Of Osibanjo At The APC Presidential Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.