Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,032 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail (774 Views)

Nigeria’s Alerzo Raises $10.5m To Digitize Informal Retail Supply Chain In Niger / Kuda Raises $10 Million in Seed Funding / The Rise And Fall Of Online Retail In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by LegendHero(m): 3:13am On Aug 21, 2021
The process of digitizing the operations of mom and pop stores in Nigeria is serious business right now. In fact, it might be the second-best thing after fintech at the moment.

Today’s news is from Alerzo, a little-known B2B e-commerce retail startup based in Ibadan, Nigeria. The company is announcing a $10.5 million Series A round led by London-based Nosara Capital. FJ Labs and several family offices from the U.S., Europe and Asia, including Michael Novogratz’s, participated in the round.

In total, Alerzo has raised more than $20 million since its launch. Early investors include the Baobab Network, an Africa-focused accelerator based in London, and Signal Hill, a Singapore-based fund manager that participated in its $5.5 million seed round last year. The company also said it closed a $2.5 million working capital facility to serve its customers.

Adewale Opaleye founded Alerzo in 2018 as a last-mile distribution platform that helps retailers stock inventory directly from manufacturers. Its business, officially launched in 2019, is centered on helping street-side vendors and shops in Nigeria’s south-western cities access household supplies quicker and efficiently.

Speaking with TechCrunch, Opaleye said he started Alerzo to empower the millions of women who are the backbone of consumer commerce in Nigeria’s $100 billion informal retail sector.

The need to solve this problem stemmed from observing firsthand the challenges his mom faced while operating two mom-and-pop stores.

“Growing up in Ibadan, I watched my mother operate two informal retail stores to raise my three siblings and me. Seeing the many challenges she faced running her stores, and I decided to start a business that uniquely catered to the needs of retailers just like her,” he told TechCrunch in an interview.

These retailers are beholden to an inefficient distribution system that results in inconsistent inventory availability, opaque pricing and limited access to formal financial and banking services.

The founder says Ibadan was the ideal market to establish its headquarters because informal retailers in the region experience these challenges more than those in Lagos.

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/20/alerzo-raises-10-5m-series-a-to-bring-nigerias-informal-retail-sector-online/

CC: Mynd44 Lalasticala

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by iSpitonYourGrav: 3:16am On Aug 21, 2021
Good
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nobody: 3:16am On Aug 21, 2021
Nice one. Hope it withstands the test of time.

I am happy that our young entrepreneurs are really making waves and I can only pray that their services actually solve real issues that would help boost the economy.
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by LegendHero(m): 3:17am On Aug 21, 2021
This confirms the global ranking that put Lagos and Ibadan as the top 2 startup city in Africa.

I hope these guys continue to grow and be a source of inspiration to other Ibadan folks to build on the gains.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nisiw365: 7:12am On Aug 21, 2021
Nice one. Tech is the future

Lalasticlala. Front page
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Gbagura: 8:33am On Aug 21, 2021
Interesting
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Powerexpert: 8:42am On Aug 21, 2021
Nice initiative.
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 07, 2021
Wow $10million, am inspired.

The tech space in the region is really thriving and there's also big opportunity for agrotech and agro-finance start-ups in ibadan, Oyo state thanks to the large seize of arable land in the state and it's agro activities. Ibadan is ripe for investment. Congrats to Mr Opaleye.

Lalasticlala this is front page worthy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 07, 2021
WesternOligarch:
Wow $10million, am inspired.

The tech space in the region is really thriving and there's also big opportunity for agrotech and agro-finance start-ups in ibadan, Oyo state thanks to the large seize of arable land in the state and it's agro activities. Ibadan is ripe for investment. Congrats to Mr Opaleye.

Lalasticlala this is front page worthy.
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by mrsage(m): 8:04pm On Sep 07, 2021
Good news
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 22, 2021
Nisiw365:
Nice one. Tech is the future

Lalasticlala. Front page
SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER...... HE DEALS ON STOLEN GADGETS ... BUY AT YOUR OWN DETRIMENT...
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nisiw365: 12:58am On Oct 22, 2021
BKsoul:
SCAMMER SCAMMER SCAMMER...... HE DEALS ON STOLEN GADGETS ... BUY AT YOUR OWN DETRIMENT...
no mercy when fucking you for calling me scammer. Ma fe do e pa
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nobody: 1:12am On Oct 22, 2021
Nisiw365:
no mercy when fucking my mother. Ma fe do pa
Aww...May the Almighty God have mercy on your soul ..
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nisiw365: 1:17am On Oct 22, 2021
BKsoul:
Aww...May the Almighty God have mercy on your soul ..
adopa ni ma do e
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nobody: 1:19am On Oct 22, 2021
Nisiw365:
adopa ni ma do iya mi...
But why are you doing this to your poor old mother.
Re: Nigerian Startup In Ibadan Raises $10.5M Funding For Online Retail by Nisiw365: 1:24am On Oct 22, 2021
BKsoul:
But why are you doing this to your poor old mother.
imagine giving you mad doggy

(1) (Reply)

15 Made In Anambra Products In Hot Demand In The Country / Fairly Used Household Items For Sale / Brand New Iphone 14 Pro Max Dual Sim Unlocked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.