Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? (7772 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Components To Avoid When Washing A Car Engine / Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Akosbaba(m): 10:35pm On May 21, 2011
this topic is somewhat rhetorical,everyday adverts in nigeria are misleading.even ten topics can't contain he posts.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by OAM4J: 4:52am On May 22, 2011
Very good thread. Subscribing.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by kabukabu(m): 5:38am On May 22, 2011
Siena:

^^^ Bro, please let's try to keep this thread clean, and on track.

Don't think I left any muddy footprints around here?

Anyway,I did have one experience with a car dealer,some years back who sold me a car that had one of its injectors misfiring,I did not find out this till all the paperwork was done and I had taken the car home,He had advertised it as just been "serviced",which turned out to be a bogus lie.

Well I broke down,had it towed to a shop,where I was given the news.Next day,I called the Better Business Bereau,consumer Reports agency and filed a claim with my local Used Car Dealers Association,I never got my money back,but his shop eventually got closed down.

As a result,I go through car ads with a fine toothed comb,these days,to avoid such hassle.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 7:33am On May 22, 2011
^^^ Excellent, Kabukabu. I take it this was outside Nigeria?
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by BizBooks(m): 12:59pm On May 22, 2011
In my opinion, the decline of the Auto Section began when the requirement to post VINs of cars was made optional. That singular act has permitted dealers with ill intentions to mislead buyers to a large extent. One frequently sees 10 year old cars advertized on NL with less than 100,000 miles. The chances of that claim being true is close to zero. But since such ads do not usually include the car's VIN, there is no way to confirm or refute it. What I'm tying to say here is that odometer roll back is rampant on NL. In the US, it is a serious crime punishable by imprisonment. But Nigeria being Nigeria, people do it at will.

No website worth it's salt will allow dealers to list cars without the VINs. The decision makers at NL should stop worrying about chasing dealers away. If they take steps to clean up this section, the dealers that will leave will likely be the ones they don't want around in the first place.

So my advice is this: If you see a car advertized here or anywhere without the VIN, assume that it has a serious issue which may or may not be known to the person selling it.

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 22, 2011
^^^ I agree.

It's always assumed Nigerian-used cars, or cars purchased new in Nigeria should be exempt from displaying a valid VIN. The VIN tells a lot more than a vehicle's history. The info a VIN gives includes:

1) Factory fitted options.
2) Country of origin.
3) Chassis type (LHD or RHD).
4) Service history (for US imports).
5) Build date.

There are cars with aftermarket aircon systems fitted, that the seller claims is factory, badly converted RHD cars that the seller fails to disclose, cars from Europe that are described as "American spec". Some unscrupulous dealers will even go as far as knocking off up to 5 years from a car's actually anniversary date.

Very wrong. VIN display will alleviate most of these issues.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Larky: 2:12pm On May 22, 2011
I think the level of awareness of most Nigerians on this VIN issue is rather low compared to the U.S, Europe and better developed economies in general.This is one area that NL have really helped.
Most Nigerians want a car, cannot afford a brand new one, so they go for the fairly used imports or locally used equivalents depending on pocket and taste in that order. Once they see the car and it looks okay and a drive to the next block or so is satisfactory -some string along a local trial by error mechanic, who probably knows as much about cars as your grandmother-, the car is as good as bought if an agreement is reached as per price. This attitude is not because they don't know the danger involved but there is little choice and its always a case of trusting mother luck that "I will be lucky with my buy in Jesus name". In many cases people have been lucky with tokunbo cars and though there are no statistics, it is still believed that you can get a good car from the tokunbo market. In my opinion the major disaster is with the Nigerian used cars. I am certain that VIN posting will be of little value for these cars(except in cases where they've only been used for a very short time). The general impression is that a Nigerian will sell his car only because of some horrible problem which-of course-is not disclosed. Most Nigerian-used cars are poorly maintainance and for the few that are maintained, the records are not kept. Where is the database for such records anyway?

So yes VIN post will help for the imported cars. For the Nigerian fairly used? we might still need to wait a little bit longer.

My advice to buyers is to never be in a hurry. Take time to check the car and the VIN. It is possible that by the time you're done checking the VIN, another buyer has payed and gotten the car, but remember, it is equally possible that you have been saved a huge headache and grief.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by BizBooks(m): 2:25pm On May 22, 2011
@ Siena and Larky,

The problem is that displaying VINs even for Tokunboh cars is now basically optional. Seun himself has said that much. So apart from a very few dealers, nobody bothers to display VINs for tokunbohs anymore.

Also, now that we know that some dealers claim that "picture is too big to upload" just to prevent buyers from seeing what they are selling, it is time pictures are made mandatory. Reducing the size of a large picture is not rocket science. In the past, when I see "picture is too big to upload", I give such dealers the benefit of the doubt. But come to think of it, an unscrupulous dealer selling a battered car on NL may not want buyers to see the picture of said battered car before coming to their shop.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 2:44pm On May 22, 2011
Larky:

I am certain that VIN posting will be of little value for these cars(except in cases where they've only been used for a very short time).
So yes VIN post will help for the imported cars. For the Nigerian fairly used? we might still need to wait a little bit longer.

My advice to buyers is to never be in a hurry. Take time to check the car and the VIN. It is possible that by the time you're done checking the VIN, another buyer has payed and gotten the car,  but remember, it is equally possible that you have been saved a huge headache and grief.

I understand what you're saying here. But you're going by the assumption that the VIN is only meant for verifying a vehicle's history, if it has been subject to an insurance claim, been declared a total loss, has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's set guidelines. Or if the vehicle has outstanding finance (lien).

Of course, this will be of no use on a vehicle purchased brand new in Nigeria, or a vehicle that was imported into Nigeria over 3 years ago. What is important though, is that the list below still stands. A vehicle may be 15-years-old, but like your fingerprint, birth certificate, SS or NI number, a VIN remains constant, and will always be tied to the 5 items listed below:

1) Factory fitted options.
2) Country of origin.
3) Chassis type (LHD or RHD).
4) Service history (for US imports).
5) Build date.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Larky: 2:57pm On May 22, 2011
Without Prejudice to car dealers, I would advice anybody that shops for a car, especially Tokunbo, on this platform to be suspicious of any advert without VIN. Be fair to yourself, if you want to buy that car, then that dealer should be bold enough to display the VIN even without a prompt. If not, get another dealer. If this is done, the wheat will be seperated from the chaff in no time.
As for the adverts without pictures I really dont know what to say.

Like someone had pointed out earlier, this will help the dealers a lot. Fraudsters will be eliminated and consumer confidence will get a boost.  

Cleaning this country should not be a Government thing alone.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Larky: 2:58pm On May 22, 2011
Without Prejudice to car dealers, I would advice anybody that shops for a car, especially Tokunbo, on this platform to be suspicious of any advert without VIN. Be fair to yourself, if you want to buy that car, then that dealer should be bold enough to display the VIN even without a prompt. If not, get another dealer. If this is done, the wheat will be seperated from the chaff in no time.

Like someone had pointed out earlier, this will help the dealers a lot. Fraudsters will be eliminated and consumer confidence will get a boost.  

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Larky: 2:59pm On May 22, 2011

Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Larky: 3:16pm On May 22, 2011
Siena,

I think we are on the same page. If a car used for 8yrs in U.S is imported and then used in Nigeria, say, for 3 yrs like you said, I am almost sure that those 3 yrs will be more eventful than the 8yrs outside. In other words apart from theft, the car may have seen more grief than a VIN will reveal. What if it actually had A/C fitted originally from factory but had been badly smashed here that it had to be ripped off and later re-installed? stuff like that e.t.c
However I am not saying the VIN should not be displayed. For me the more information available the better for everybody.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 22, 2011
Larky, your points are very valid, and noted. Adverts without pictures or valid VIN should prompt suspicion.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by henwun(m): 4:48pm On May 22, 2011
@poster Sienna, not everyone is computer literate. I have once fall into the same problem, I cant upload my Advert car pix to my post. it looks suspicious but when i was questioned about not adding the pix i straight out for help who ever can re-seize and upload . But nobody seems to help , So don't cast blame on none un-picture car adverts we face uploading problem due to the Seize of the Pix and NL would not Auto Re-seize.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 22, 2011
^^^ Henwun, yes, I know not everyone's computer literate. Still, if one chooses to sell any sort of goods or services online, then the computer becomes one of your "tools of trade". There's no getting around it, by claiming non-literacy when it comes to uploading an advert and pictures. In the same vein, a mechanic has his / her workshop tools, it's his / her job to master their use. He can't do a sloppy job, then tell his / her customers that he's not well versed in the use of his tools. It wouldn't be acceptable.

If pictures are too large, and one has no knowledge of re-sizing, then I'm sure they have friends who could help. Simply email them the pictures, get them to re-size, email them back to you, then you're good to go. Or, they could re-size and upload on your behalf. Of course, you'd have to trust them enough to give them your forum log-in details.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by henwun(m): 7:05pm On May 22, 2011
Thanks sienna, But would u kindly point out how to reduce pictures seizes. Really i need it, Since this first incident i would nt like to be called names not belong to me. Se u understand
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 22, 2011
Hard to explain, as I don't know what computer you're running, or what programmes you've got installed on it.

For the purpose of not derailling this thread, you could email them to me, and I'll resize them, then send them back to you. You can then start a thread in the Computer section with regards to resizing, I'm sure our Computer gurus will be able to help.

My email's
siena_@hotmail.co.uk
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by henwun(m): 7:20pm On May 22, 2011
Appreciate . the SUV already sold. I just need in case next time I will do that in the New tread. Thanks again for you time.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Busybody2(f): 8:46pm On May 22, 2011
Wow, not only was this "feel-free-to-let-rip-at-Nairaland-Dealers-but-no-need-to-mention-their-names" thread stickied, but it made the front page too undecided

What a clever ingenious way to attract future potential customers undecided Hear ye, hear ye, our beloved customers, we are honoured to have you here, welcome, caveat emptor feel free to come here and part with your cash but if anything goes awry, we will not be revealing the Dealers identity. . . yeah makes sense lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Plus the OP that opened the thread, plus the Moderator that stickied it, plus the Administrator that placed it on the front page . . .design flaws surely deffo travels in groups lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Busybody2(f): 9:12pm On May 22, 2011
henwun:

Thanks sienna, But would u kindly point out how to reduce pictures seizes. Really i need it, Since this first incident i would nt like to be called names not belong to me. Se u understand

Welcome to this section of Nairaland, where it is easier to nitpick and chastise and criticise and condemn rather that er . . . y'know grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cool
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by chelseabmw(m): 10:35pm On May 22, 2011
nice thread @siena
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by amdman: 7:16am On May 23, 2011
I went carshopping on Saturday from leads generated from Nairaland and my experience was at best traumatic. Since dem say make we no call names of dealers, at least I will mention the cars.

1. Headed first to this popular dealer's place at Agidingbi, Lagos to check out some cars mentioned. General observation was that the used ones were much more battered than loudly proclaimed in here. In fact, there is this Mercedes ML 430 with DVD on headrest - the DVDs were already pulling out of the headrest, and the entire system including audio was not functioning - e be dey work before was their answer. Then the interior that looked so heavenly in pics was so dirty. Their response was that the car wash guys will work magic and so on. My thinking was that if you are selling a product, why not make it look its cleanest to make it more attractive? Lets forget the body o!

Again, the ML was said to be 03/04, but on further checks, it was actually manufactured in1998, and that was a general observation in all cars checked.

2. I then went to check this Rover 75. The car was clean inside and out, but when I say make I test drive, the steering was vibrating in my hands and I was hearing lots of noise from the wheels. The guy started this story of how I would have to change the front shock absorbers at N6,000 but later checks at the parts shop put the price at N15,000. I think these guys just like to lie!

3. Next stop was a 2007 Ford Windstar. Because I really liked this car, I conducted some research online and discovered that Ford stopped production of the Windstar in 2003 and came out with Freestar afterwards, and so i was really wondering how this guy had a 2007 Windstar. When I got there, behold it was a 2002 model!

4. I eventually settled for this toks Ford Explorer 2000 that I found in a dealer's shop and made a deposit cos I didn't think it wise to carry so much money on my person on a weekend. They are supposed to deliver the car at my office this morning and collect the balance, but I got a call like 6am this morning from a guy who says he is the actual owner of the car that the price I paid is not what he asked the dealer to sell for. I just told him thats his stuff to sort out with the dealer and not me, cos I have a receipt showing that the car has been sold to me even though I have a balance to pay. I be lawyer so make dem no try me!

My general impression of these dealers is that they are basically dishonest - that is they are not your friends that will watch your back. You do the watching and be on guard. Then their customer service level is sooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!

Make I no talk too much!
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by mastro: 9:10am On May 23, 2011
I went carshopping on Saturday from leads generated from Nairaland and my experience was at best traumatic. Since dem say make we no call names of dealers, at least I will mention the cars.

1. Headed first to this popular dealer's place at Agidingbi, Lagos to check out some cars mentioned. General observation was that the used ones were much more battered than loudly proclaimed in here. In fact, there is this Mercedes ML 430 with DVD on headrest - the DVDs were already pulling out of the headrest, and the entire system including audio was not functioning - e be dey work before was their answer. Then the interior that looked so heavenly in pics was so dirty. Their response was that the car wash guys will work magic and so on. My thinking was that if you are selling a product, why not make it look its cleanest to make it more attractive? Lets forget the body o!

Again, the ML was said to be 03/04, but on further checks, it was actually manufactured in1998, and that was a general observation in all cars checked.

2. I then went to check this Rover 75. The car was clean inside and out, but when I say make I test drive, the steering was vibrating in my hands and I was hearing lots of noise from the wheels. The guy started this story of how I would have to change the front shock absorbers at N6,000 but later checks at the parts shop put the price at N15,000. I think these guys just like to lie!

3. Next stop was a 2007 Ford Windstar. Because I really liked this car, I conducted some research online and discovered that Ford stopped production of the Windstar in 2003 and came out with Freestar afterwards, and so i was really wondering how this guy had a 2007 Windstar. When I got there, behold it was a 2002 model!

4. I eventually settled for this toks Ford Explorer 2000 that I found in a dealer's shop and made a deposit cos I didn't think it wise to carry so much money on my person on a weekend. They are supposed to deliver the car at my office this morning and collect the balance, but I got a call like 6am this morning from a guy who says he is the actual owner of the car that the price I paid is not what he asked the dealer to sell for. I just told him thats his stuff to sort out with the dealer and not me, cos I have a receipt showing that the car has been sold to me even though I have a balance to pay. I be lawyer so make dem no try me!

My general impression of these dealers is that they are basically dishonest - that is they are not your friends that will watch your back. You do the watching and be on guard. Then their customer service level is sooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!

Make I no talk too much!

My brother I had the quote you in full, this saga in a nutshell is exactly how most car dealers work, I trust you have taken the VIN and checked it, I suggest you pop over to the dealer at the earliest opportunity and collect your deposit back. Also is wise to look at the documentation and ask to see the person whose name the car is in as I've heard stories of cars being sold by the dealer who then tells the seller that it's not sold yet, apart from the usual of selling the car for say N2m and telling the seller that it sold for N1.5m.

In truth it's not easy buying a car.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Larky: 11:16am On May 23, 2011
Amdman, I think Mastro's advice is good.

Sorry about your experience but its good that you share it here and hopefully it will help others.

For the guys that do not know how to go about resizing their pics, What Siena said is very true. You've got to learn the tools of your trade.

However there is no big deal about resizing a picture. If you have the microsoft office suite in your PC, (which I believe most guys have if you're on MS platform) you can easily use the office picture manager to do it. Infact most picture softwares have this ability. If you're using MAC or other systems the process is not much different.

I can explain it here using, for example, microsft office picture manager but it will be much clearer with graphics. I can email a graphic of the process to anybody interested.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Nobody: 2:18pm On May 23, 2011
^^
These experiences typify how we do business in Nigeria, they're not peculiar to car sales/adverts alone. In a nation where the laws are poorly, if at all, enforced, every seller is a potential con-artist cos he knows he can get away with it.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by cbr600ff: 6:58pm On May 23, 2011
Naija Dealers and their funny, dubious ways

Scenario 1 - A dealer changing the emblem behind a 2008 camry from "LE" to "XLE" because he wants to maximise profit. I have seen like 6 instances on NL.

Scenario 2 - Posting a naija used car on NL without stating the known issues with the car. He presents the car as being perfect and almost new on NL. When the buyer comes around to inspect the car, the seller tries to distract him from noticing the flaws by over-emphasizing irrelevant things in the car.

Scenario 3 - Dealer tells buyer a 2009 accord doesnt require radio codes before money changes hands. Buyer changes battery and the radio requires code to work. He calls the dealer who claims ignorance of the fact that even a 2003 accord requires code. Buyer has to pay N8,000 to get code.

Scenario 4 - Dealer posting VIN of a clean title car on a similar car (salvage) he has posted on NL. How can I forget the biggest of them all, ODOMETER ROLLBACK. A friend visited a car shop in Lagos and all the cars there ranging from 2000-2009 model had mileage between 15,000 and 30,000 miles. He didnt even bother running VIN checks.

Once they collect money, the buyer is ON HIS OWN to manage the issues because they will not take responsibility for it. So "SHINE your EYES" before paying. Dont believe this line "Someone else is coming to deposit for the car TODAY, so hurry up", its a big lie. Why is it same day you came around that another person wants to deposit?

May GOD help us all.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by unlimited2(m): 9:15am On May 24, 2011
Piedpiper:

Example 3
Definitely not a platinum Edition , which is the highest grade of Pathfinder you can find , always leather ! grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-421922.0.html
pls kindly get your facts right before this show of ignorance
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Piedpiper(m): 11:38am On May 24, 2011
Please show the car with platinum edition badge or forever keep quiet and hide your head in shameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! ??
I have one and I will show it. But if you persist in showing your ignorance or is it craftiness then go to the site below. These are the bad eggs that need weeding out:
http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/pathfinder/2004/
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by Piedpiper(m): 12:21pm On May 24, 2011
See criminal !! grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-421922.32.html "" i previously used the thread for a 2003 model, but this present one is a 2004 platinum edition""
After being caught out in a lie, he has posted another pix and now talks as if this was the original posted picture.
Little man do not play games with me ok. This is not the car you touted originally as platinum edition so shocked
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by nnemak(m): 12:40pm On May 24, 2011
This is not from NL o.
I bought a Honda 2002 baby boy years ago, and was excite while waiting for it to be shipped by the dealer grin. I had even driven a 98/99 babyboy with everything automatic cheesy cheesy! So was very impressed with the 2002 honda on the High sea. Only when its was cleared and delivered to my residence did I get a shocker. Instead of me to smile cos it was my 1st ride I was moody through out that day cry cry cry. The car had no power-window! The only thing automatic in the car was the transmission! I paid good money based on 2002 model but…. And was given the least version of that model! angry angry angry angry

The dealer had made Big mouth and failed to key his promise. I couldn’t even recommend him when others wanted to source for a car from the same route I got mine wink.
Re: Ever Been Mislead By A Car Advert? by unlimited2(m): 2:16pm On May 24, 2011
Piedpiper:

See criminal !! grin
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-421922.32.html "" i previously used the thread for a 2003 model, but this present one is a 2004 platinum edition""
After being caught out in a lie, he has posted another pix and now talks as if this was the original posted picture.
Little man do not play games with me ok. This is not the car you touted originally as platinum edition so shocked
I thought you were intelligent, but i was wrong. Sorry for responding to the wrong person.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Top 12 Reasons Why Your Car Won’t Start / What Is a "scam" in auto repair? / Can 2million Buy A Good Big Daddy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.