Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,827 members, 7,831,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Why I Do Not Seem To Be Excited About The New Petroleum Industry Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Do Not Seem To Be Excited About The New Petroleum Industry Law (328 Views)

President Buhari Signs Petroleum Industry Bill Into Law / 10 Things To Know About Nigeria’s Petroleum Industry Bill, PIB / Another Monopoly: Dangote's Troubling Petroleum Industry Bill Proposal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Do Not Seem To Be Excited About The New Petroleum Industry Law by Oduok(m): 1:08pm On Aug 21, 2021
Recall that the President signed the Petroleum Industry Bill into law on the August 16, 2021.

I schooled at the Petroleum Training Institute. You know what that mean? We were trained on the engineering, economics, and politics of the petroleum industry. I had the opportunity to interact with the owners and the controllers of the petroleum resources in the different states of the federation. We daily talked about the hopes and the despairs of being from an oil community. The Ogoni struggle, Ken Saro Wiwa, gas flaring, were our everyday gist back then. So I got so interested in the oil enterprise at a very young age.

Also, as at the time the Petroleum Industry Bill was drafted I owned my personal hard copy which I read line by line, page by page. I was by then an intern at the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) and part of my experience was to understand all existing laws in the Nigerian petroleum industry as well as international charter and conventions. I owned a hard copy of the Petroleum Act 1969 which I studied between lines. The petroleum industry bill, to us that saw the original version, was to be the best thing to happen to the Nigerian oil sector, the host community and the nation at large. It was to be a legal framework that harmonizes all extant laws hitherto operating the sector into one document. Hopes were high. We wished the bill was passed into law the next second.

I seriously wonder if it that bill that is now passed into law and it look like nothing happened.
Maybe Nigerians, like myself, from Niger-Delta have experienced things that were highly anticipated but turned out to be a mere ritual.
To me this law might be like one of those things that just happen for happening sake without any or much impact on the masses. I would point a few examples:

1. Where is the impact of the 13percent oil derivation on the oil producing states: I remembered how as PTI students then we wished the struggle for 13% came speedily. Kudos to Victor Attah, James Ibori, and Peter Odili, that fought for the actualization of that. But where is the impact on the masses? My state still rank up in unemployment.
2. Where is the impact of Niger Delta Ministry: The only thing all of us know is the Minister of Niger Delta who by now must have greatly increase his net worth but we don’t seem to be aware of any ministry as such. We thought, if we could just have a separate ministry to oversee the affairs of the oil rich region then that would mean heaven on earth.
3. Where is the impact of stopping gas flaring: It might interest you to know that the cooking gas (LPG) that is now sold at an exorbitant price is waste gas of the oil sector. We dreamt that if it could only be harnessed we would cook free 24 hours with LPG and enjoy electricity free from Natural gas plant. Gas flaring has ceased, the waste gas is now converted to LPG, LNG, and CNG, but can we afford it as Nigerians. Can we access it?

These and many more do make me skeptical about this new law and I ask, why can’t Nigerians benefit from Nigeria?

By Idongesit F. Oduok
Visit: www.odfidtechnicalworld..com for interesting updates

Re: Why I Do Not Seem To Be Excited About The New Petroleum Industry Law by judgementyard(m): 2:01pm On Aug 21, 2021
It's quite a sad time being a Nigerian.
Re: Why I Do Not Seem To Be Excited About The New Petroleum Industry Law by GardenOfGod(m): 2:05pm On Aug 21, 2021
Your skeptic is well in order. Niger Delta leaders are all slaves and so cannot make any meaningful changes to the plight of the region.
Starting from their Governors, Senators, House Members, who among them have brought first class and highly modernised industries, factories, companies and infrastructures into the region with the huge income at their disposal?
All they commission every now and then, is inferior, outdated, infrastructures and local industries that are like a laboratory in the first world countries.
The money generated and shared from the federation account are reshared amongst themselves, the residue is used to blind the senses of the populace.
We are talented, industrious and resourceful people but govern by highly selfish leaders.
May God come to our aid.

(1) (Reply)

The Rising Political Profile Of Rt. Hon. Prince Matthew Kolawole. Continue Read / Court Suspends Secondus As Pdp’s National Chairman / 2023: President Must Come From Igbo – Ohaneze Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.