Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,616 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Why Is This Thing Common Among Nigerian Parents? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is This Thing Common Among Nigerian Parents? (265 Views)

‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group / Ooni Of Ife Reveals Why He Likes To Mingle With The Common People.See His Reason / Are Nigerian Parents Too Strict? (share Your Experiences) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Is This Thing Common Among Nigerian Parents? by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:49am On Aug 22, 2021
Speaking English To Children At Home

What happened to speaking the local dialect to them at home? A lot of the new generation children cannot even speak their local dialect fluently, some can speak but are not used to it, so if you speak the local dialect to them, they reply you in English, it's really bad. My nephews are like that too. My wife was raised like that too, she understands Yoruba but not just used to speaking it, at school she was always speaking English to me, but me I been used to speaking Yoruba from the day I was born, we both speak Yoruba 24/7, I'm sure she has forgotten she used to speak English, an African should behave like an African, that's how it's supposed to be.

Giving Western Names To Children

Now there's nothing bad in giving English name to your children, but today, you will be surprised that 2/10 of Nigerian children are called their cultural name, this used to be common only among the people of SS and SE but now, it's rampant among the Yorubas, they no longer call them Yoruba names, just imagine, how many times does a governor address his citizens in their local dialect, it is quite wrong.

In Nigerian system, if you don't have at least C6 in English in your O'level result, you cannot have admission into any tertiary institution, it doesn't matter if you have A1 in Igbo or Hausa or Yoruba, it is like a slavery that has eaten deep irredeemably. In fact history has it that there used to be suspension penalty for anyone speaking non English language in Nigerian schools, they called it vernacular, it's really bad, the saddest part of this is that we Nigerians have accepted it, hopefully someday Africans will start being Africans.
Re: Why Is This Thing Common Among Nigerian Parents? by Goldbw122(m): 10:00am On Aug 22, 2021
Flogging hell out of their children, when they should have advice the child of his or her wrong doing.

1 Like

Re: Why Is This Thing Common Among Nigerian Parents? by blackboy(m): 11:44am On Aug 22, 2021
Mr if you and your wife decide to speak Yoruba 24/7 your choice your home. I hope your children ..
How can a governor speak a native language to address the people in the state when some states have more than one dialect.
Nigeria uses English as the unifying language cause we are not a nation but state federation a country.
No one will stop you from naming your children native names or ensure they speak native language. But remember there is more and beyond the family. Prepare for the larger world. Speak 3 or 4 languages or dialects have you thought about it

(1) (Reply)

Women Are Not Fake ! / Gemini Login- Sign In To Gemini(login Now) / Kraken Login _ #log In Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.