Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,999 members, 7,838,514 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. (933 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu To Remain In ThePrison As FG Seeks To Transfer Case To Another Court / Things We Have Noticed Since PMB Assumed Power - Must Read / Jonathan Is A Trainee President - ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Gbawe: 6:24am On May 20, 2011
We hear the ACN is a "regional" Party full of "fascists" yet every time its members talk they seem equitable, visionary , exposed and far more interested in the meritocratic development of Nigeria than others.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/may/20/national-20-05-2011-006.html

2015: Forget IBB, power must remain in the South —Ajasin, ACN chieftain
By PETER ANOSIKE
Friday, May 20, 2011

Chief Tokunbo Ajasin, son of the former executive governor of the old Ondo State, Chief Michael Ajasin, has slammed the former military president, General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (retd) for saying that power must return to the North in 2015. The chairman of Atayese, a Yoruba socio-cultural organisation and chieftain of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), in an interview with Daily Sun, urged Nigerians not to take Babangida serious. Excerpts:

Babangida not serious
Babangida is not serious by saying that power must go back to the North in 2015. On what basis did he rest his argument? What about the Igbo? If the Igbo feel like giving it back to the North, then that is their own problem. But as far as I am concerned, rotation of power is not the solution to the problems in the country.
We need to restructure this country so that every area will have autonomy based on ethnic nationality. When we have that, every other thing will take care of itself.

Why does a northerner want to be president? It is because of the oil money. I don’t want oil money. I want to use my own God-given resources and initiatives to better the lots of my people and not to start looking at other people’s oil money. That is what is causing the problem.

As far as I am concerned, the South South can hold their oil, we in the South West don’t need it. Let everybody fights for his own money. If we all see ourselves as one Nigeria, why must we be saying that power must come or go there since we are all Nigerians?

I strongly believe that the power of the Federal Government must be whittled down. If the oil people retain their oil and another section of the country wants oil money, they will go to the South South. Don’t tell me that you will stay in Abuja and be looking for oil money in the South South. My reason is because every ethnic nationality has its own God given gift. Even if they don’t have it in the ground, they may have it in their brains. Even if some people have it in the ground but they don’t have the brain to develop it then it becomes a waste.

The North is blessed with a lot of mineral resources so they should develop them. Even if they don’t have, they should use their brain to create wealth. People use to give example of Nevada in the United States. It is nothing but a desert with no mineral resources but they made it the gambling capital of the world as well as a place you can get the fastest divorce in the world. People are going there for gambling and divorce. They devise a lot of things that people want and people are going there and the state is making money.

Even if the South South has all the oil, they cannot be swimming in it. They must look for some place to enjoy the money. Then why can’t a place like Bauchi develop a tourist centre so that the South South would be coming there to spend the oil money and with that they would be getting their own money? These are things we all need to do. They have to work for the oil money to come to their area.

Victory of ACN in the South West
We have taken back our stronghold. The only thing is that my own state that is Ondo is not among those that were taken over by the ACN. But I am hoping that very soon we will be in total control of the entire zone. This is very important because it is only then that we can plan for the South West as a body. The Yoruba have a way of running government from the days of the Action Group (AG), which is quite different from the way things are done now. We want to take the opportunity of total control to rectify things that have gone wrong.

Being in opposition
It is a misconception to say that we are in the opposition. The fact is that we are not in the opposition. We have our own government. The unfortunate thing is the way things are being done now. We have a federal system that is not really federal. If we are practicing true federalism, when we have our own Western Region, we will administer it the way it should be. When others see it they would want to ask themselves how manage this region is progressing and we are behind. Then they would begin to blame themselves.

Since the PDP is currently at the centre, if that is what you mean by being in the opposition we need a viral alternative to keep them on their toes. When they default, the alternative would take over. Before we had a mighty Federal Government. Right now, the party at the centre is standing with one leg.
They have seen that they can be voted out since it is no longer business as usual. That would make them to sit up because if they don’t, the alternative can take over.

Obasanjo took Yoruba to the mainstream
What benefit did we get when Obasanjo took us to the mainstream? The roads were not constructed. They are still bad. Look at the Lagos –Ibadan Expressway, Lagos-Abeokuta Road. Infrastructural decay everywhere. What have we derived from been in the mainstream? Nothing. But if you concentrate on your own, you would do more. The way the system is structured, it is just for “chopping” money. [/b]When the Unity Party of Nigeria (UPN) then organized free education programme, there was not even enough money to execute the programme let alone going into personal pockets. [b]But in the centre today, there are no programmes and that is why there are lots of money to “chop.”
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by jimmysho(m): 6:57am On May 20, 2011
This is an honest thought. there is need for healthy competition among federating units
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Gbawe: 7:14am On May 20, 2011
jimmysho:

This is an honest thought. there is need for healthy competition among federating units

Indeed . The administrative indolence everywhere , encouraged by a mediocre centre, is unacceptably high in Nigeria. Successive FG's have really done nothing visionary as far as the attempt to provide initiatives and policies that can stimulate healthy regional competition which , in turn, would prompt more States to look at developing their innate gift, to full potentials, rather than persevering with a restrictive "begging bowl" relationship with the FG.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by PapaBrowne(m): 10:45am On May 20, 2011
One emerging trend I'm loving is this new quest for regionalism. I think it is the perfect antidote to the nations indolence. I don't support regionalism based on tribes but based on geography. The arguments we see between Igbos and Yorubas on Nairaland is also a reflection of this move towards regionalism.

People would begin to feel the need to develop their regions in order not to be the underdogs. This article is just ripe!! There is so much resource in this country beyond oil and if everyother region can take their eyes off the oil, this country would begin to see development!!

I love what he said about Bauchi seeking to attract the oil money by developing tourism infrastructure. Thats exactly what Donald Duke sought to do.

My respect for Tinubu and his ACN gang keeps rising. Their plans are razor sharp. But plerase they should leave Edo State out of their equations and Calculation!!
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Seun(m): 11:19am On May 20, 2011
ACN is my favorite political party. They make the right noises.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Kilode1: 11:30am On May 20, 2011
I think the man is stealing my thunder  j/k cool

LOL@ "they make the right noises"

Anyway, since more politicians are now speaking of restructuring and fiscal federalism e.t.c, can we get them to push for a proposal or bill, commence a massive public campaign on the issue and initiate for some kind of referendum to get this done?

The Talking has to end so we can start the Acting

Nigeria cannot afford to wait forever.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Gbawe: 1:09pm On May 20, 2011
Kilode?!:

I think the man is stealing my thunder  j/k cool

LOL@ "they make the right noises"

Anyway, since more politicians are now speaking of restructuring and fiscal federalism e.t.c, can we get them to push for a proposal or bill, commence a massive public campaign on the issue and initiate for some kind of referendum to get this done?

The Talking has to end so we can start the Acting

Nigeria cannot afford to wait forever.

To be honest , I think we have already played our part in the SW . I think all of Nigeria , at least with how some chose to endure with a PDP centre , is not ready to stand on their own in efforts towards self-actualisation defiant of the PDP centre. It is this PDP centre , for 12 years, that drags us all backwards with deliberate misrule of the populace that conversely benefit only the tiny percentage of our "owners" who continue to live in hideously sickening opulence.

With so many still preferring to pitch their tent with the PDP , there is little more we can do than what has been done/achieved already. I am optimistic that elections in 2015 , subsequent to the SW making progress under ACN , will make Nigerian States and region even less at the mercy of an indolent, grossly corrupt and regressive centre. If the PDP does not mend its ways and the SW is thriving under the ACN then I think the ruling Party will face obliteration in 2015.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 20, 2011
Making the right noises indeed. That's why they would still remain a regional party.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by T9ksy(m): 5:14pm On May 20, 2011
J12:

Making the right noises indeed. That's why they would still remain a regional party.

Yes o, they are making the right noises indeed. Its left to the "suffering and smilin" populace to listen. However, if they fail to listen and observe what's happening around them then that's their cross to bear.

Personally, i don't care if ACN remains a regional party so long as that region records substantial developmental changes in comparison to PDP who has nothing on the ground to show for 12 years of mis/governance.

Who cares about the center? What benefits did Objoke's 8 year rule brought to the common man on the streets of yorubaland? Zilch.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Nobody: 5:40pm On May 20, 2011
T9ksy:

Yes o, they are making the right noises indeed. Its left to the "suffering and smilin" populace to listen. However, if they fail to listen and observe what's happening around them then that's their cross to bear.

Personally, i don't care if ACN remains a regional party so long as that region records substantial developmental changes in comparison to PDP who has nothing on the ground to show for 12 years of mis/governance.

Who cares about the center? What benefits did Objoke's 8 year rule brought to the common man on the streets of yorubaland? Zilch.

I am not despising the ACN, not at all. All I'm trying to say is that if the ACN wants to compete strongly with PDP at the national level, then I think they have play the sort of politics the PDP plays. The politics of zoning, election rigging, do or die etc. You have to be as demagogic as they are. I think most nigerians are used to this kind of politics, and that's why they are the most successful party ever in out history.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by seanet02: 5:51pm On May 20, 2011
omo oduduwa ole soro kema dawon mon. Ori won pe dada.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by revomind(m): 5:54pm On May 20, 2011
Misleading title. Power 'must' not remain in the south after Jonathan's tenure, let the best candidate emerge rather.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Gbawe: 6:33pm On May 20, 2011
J12:

I am not despising the ACN, not at all. All I'm trying to say is that if the ACN wants to compete strongly with PDP at the national level, then I think they have play the sort of politics the PDP plays. The politics of zoning, election rigging, do or die etc. You have to be as demagogic as they are. I think most nigerians are used to this kind of politics, and that's why they are the most successful party ever in out history.

You have a point but as political sophistication grows , aided by a global village getting smaller, and as Nigerian institutions grow stronger and more independent of Party/Government control, you will find that the PDP's only saving grace in the future will be adequate performance otherwise the party will suffer the fate it did in the SW all across Nigeria.
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by Mynd44: 6:14am On May 21, 2011
This ACN guys are just too articulate
Re: 2015: Forget Ibb, Power Must Remain In The South —ajasin, Acn Chieftain. by T9ksy(m): 2:11pm On May 21, 2011
seanet02:

omo oduduwa ole soro kema dawon mon. Ori won pe dada.

GBA BE!!! 4REAL!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Plots To Bomb Venue Of South East Economic Summit ( Enugu) ? / Us Embassy Eveasdropping On Nigerian Justices / Icj Judgement On Bakassi Is Not Enforceable –dr. Bassey, Leader, Greater Communi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.