Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,761 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:26 AM

Rwanda Deports A Belgian Lawyer, Bars Him From Future Entry Into The Country - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Rwanda Deports A Belgian Lawyer, Bars Him From Future Entry Into The Country (239 Views)

WAEC to bar cheating candidates from future exams / Charles Abi: DJ Switch Is Safe, Out Of The Country / I Have Been Bitten By Scorpion, Involved In Multiple Accidents - Lady Lawyer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rwanda Deports A Belgian Lawyer, Bars Him From Future Entry Into The Country by Ahari03(m): 4:21pm On Aug 24, 2021
Vincent Lurquin a Belgian lawyer who claimed to be representing Paul Rusesabagina who was initially arrested and valued before the court to face charges of terrorism has been deported and further barred from future entry into Rwanda.

The Deported Lawyer insisted there was foul play in his deportation. According to the Belgian Lawyer, “they (Rwandan authorities) refuse to let me see my client, I went to see the President of the Bar who did not want to see me, I went to see the Attorney General who did not want to see me, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Minister of Justice”

However, Rwanda’s Immigration authorities explained that Lurquin was sent back to Belgium for breaching the immigration laws of the country. According to the law, a foreigner who enters the country with a mere visitation visa is not entitled to engage in any formal work activities; Lurquin who reportedly entered the country with a visitor’s visa was seen making attempts to work, an action the authorities saw as a blatant disregard for the law.

Lt. Col. Regis Gatarayiha, The Director-General of the Rwanda Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration (DGIE), said “the visa he was accorded is a V1 type of visa, which allows the bearer to visit the country but not to conduct any remunerated work or any payment. We were surprised to see that he appeared in court, in one of the proceedings of the court, in an attire that shows that he was practising as an advocate, which he was not allowed to do,” Gatarayiha said

Therefore, Lurquin was not only deported but further declared a “Prohibited Immigrant,” a status that prevents him from ever travelling to Rwanda. His deportation sparked series of conversations. Some political thinkers raised the point that, as a lawyer, Lurquin should have known better and applied for the right visa.

Other political commentators view his approach as a populist strategy to make the government unpopular because of how popular the case is. The case of Paul Rusesabagina, the 67-year-old “Hotel Rwanda” hero is one of the most-watched cases across the world.

Paul Rusesabagina has been accused of supports for a rebel group called the National Liberation Front (FLN) which killed nine people in Rwanda in 2018 and 2019 and injured others. The country’s Judiciary has set September 20th to deliver the final judgement on the case.

https://iyeyiexprex.com/rwanda-government-deports-a-belgian-lawyer-bars-him-from-future-entry-into-the-country/

Re: Rwanda Deports A Belgian Lawyer, Bars Him From Future Entry Into The Country by yuping(m): 4:43pm On Aug 24, 2021
A country that knows the law, good one Rwanda.
Re: Rwanda Deports A Belgian Lawyer, Bars Him From Future Entry Into The Country by pharrelaustin: 5:29pm On Aug 24, 2021
A country where rule of law is supreme, a country where everything ir organised even their police uniform/officers organise. In my country he would be handcuffed and hell beaten out of him then bundled into a plane and call it deportation

(1) (Reply)

Very Beautiful And Affordable Home Doors / Dezital, Ecommerce Development In Lahore - Ecommerce Services / Interview!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.