Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television (13707 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Approves Increase In BRT Fares By ₦100 / Sanwo-Olu Approves Full Resumption Of All Markets In Lagos / Lagos Television’s Broadcast Equipment Deal That Fractured Ambode’s Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by kponkedenge(m): 7:05am On Aug 29, 2021
A Bulk of this money may end up in private pockets... And a small amount for the actual project unfortunately.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Oracleforce: 7:11am On Aug 29, 2021
Can state-owned TV stations compete with private TV...state owned stationed that you will still employ your staffs by quota systems...nepotism is the order of the day. ...proffessionalism is compromised....for some of the analogue staffs to do a catch up...
What about the staff? You can change the structure of the building and still maintain the analogue staffs you have at Alausa.. Where most of them still have the local mentality..
As far as it is still run by the same people, we will continue to be seeing the same results...if you doubt me, check the federal owned stations
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Kailalomo(m): 7:17am On Aug 29, 2021
Where are you from? Becoz we accommodate you in lagos doesn't make you a lagosian stop forming lagosian. I believe u must be from Ibadan or osun. Oloriburuku sombori

shidof:
Without any fear, Can you tell us your state of origin. At least Tinubu isn't collecting allocation from your governor. Let's compare the development rate in your state with Lagos state and compare your governor with Tinubu stooge since the beginning and the end of your generational problem is Tinubu. You won't face the problem at your backyard, but poking noise into other people's affairs.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by shidof(m): 7:20am On Aug 29, 2021
Kailalomo:
Where are you from? Becoz we accommodate you in lagos doesn't make you a lagosian stop forming lagosian. I believe u must be from Ibadan or o, sun. Oloriburuku sombori

Awon Baba e ati iradiran e ni Olori buruku. Olori pelebe, omo ale, omo irankiran, apibabe, omo lasan ekeji Aja, omo ajoku ta ma mu omi. We know your type. IPOB terrorist

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Anago55: 7:27am On Aug 29, 2021
Drabeey:
its time and kudos sanwo.

I'll also like to use this opportunity to portray my interest to work as a Yoruba/English/pidgin language OAP. I'm very fluent with all languages with bits of Hausa and igbo language. I can handle transcriptions and make jingles, read news and handle political programmes. If You can help, Drabeey will be happy.

Drabeey was Here
. Mr Itunu, but you will have to drop that your molue bus if you really want to work in the Lagos State television network. Though you might make more mulla while with your molue bus but working in the television show will give you more heads-up about the realities of life and connection

By the way,where did you get hold of Igbo language because I know for a fact that you have never been to Igbo land? Does this mean that Lagos State is now Igbo land by extension?
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by FlipModeSquade(m): 7:28am On Aug 29, 2021
My problem with state TVs is that they are nothing more than government mouthpieces..
Thank God for Cable TVs or we would have still been stuck in the 1980s.. undecided
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by gulfer: 7:29am On Aug 29, 2021
The Governor of Lagos State, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has approved a multimillion Naira upgrade of key infrastructure at the Lagos Television (LTV) as part of a comprehensive plan to reposition the State-owned television station for national and international competitiveness.
I hate seeing this word "competitiveness" whenever discussing issues like this.,....... angry angry angry angry
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 29, 2021
hedonido:
Na so. More like multi million Naira upgrade of the pockets of the directors and contractors.

Na wetin I dey talk be this, when Anambra airport news hit fp yesterday, they were busy hailing but when they see Lagos project, na their behavior be dis.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by ObongIdeas: 8:01am On Aug 29, 2021
Bamboo scarf fold!!! Multi million naira project It is well
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Dpaulie(m): 8:21am On Aug 29, 2021
Yes... upgrade it to cnn standard
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by NinjaMetahuman: 8:22am On Aug 29, 2021
Fahdiga:
One can only imagine what Lagos would have achieved without Tinubu always demanding for Lagos monthly allocation
your state that has no Tinubu, is it 5billion miles close to Lagos?

Perhaps face your poverty potopoto ridden state. They need your shitty opinion more.

1 Like

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by NinjaMetahuman: 8:28am On Aug 29, 2021
Kailalomo:
Where are you from? Becoz we accommodate you in lagos doesn't make you a lagosian stop forming lagosian. I believe u must be from Ibadan or osun. Oloriburuku sombori

even flat head dey claim Lagos.
cheesy

I guess you are too ashamed of your unknown gunmen, poverty and erosion ridden enclave in arochukwu that you packed yourself in ekenedichukwu bus, ran to Lagos and started claiming lagosian. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by chrisvic007: 8:42am On Aug 29, 2021
Fahdiga:
One can only imagine what Lagos would have achieved without Tinubu always demanding for Lagos monthly allocation

You this social misfit again? What your business with Lagos is, really baffles me. The other day, one of your former governors and his biological son were arrested for pocketing over 50 billion Naira in Abia state. You and your Igbos pigs have not said pim.

Mad fellows.

Really, you have no business with Lagos just like I don't give a damn about what goes on in your mud land. If you have come to Lagos to escape hunger and starvation, it would do you plenty of good to relocate elsewhere (maybe Afghanistan) if you're not happy with the way Lagos (or any part of my south west) is being run.

Monitor the activities of your thieving governors because they are the major cause of your financial frustrations and no other persons. Just a few days ago, one of them said he would allow open grazing of cattle by the Fulani in his state, you (mad) people have said nothing. Rather, it is the governors of other States that is your problem.

Mind your own disgraceful States of the mud land and leave Lagos alone. No be by force to live for Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Prince001(m): 9:07am On Aug 29, 2021
Fahdiga:
With Tinubu still around, Lagos can't breathe

Yea Sanwo Olu is really learning from the master! Multi million naira project indeed! Just another mean for them to loot some money!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by arsenal33: 9:11am On Aug 29, 2021
It also needs rebranding. Starting with its outdated logo
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by arsenal33: 9:13am On Aug 29, 2021
Fahdiga:
With Tinubu still around, Lagos can't breathe
other states including yours still envy Lagos State
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by shidof(m): 12:17pm On Aug 29, 2021
Kailalomo:
Tell us where you from. You are not a lagosian. Idle wo ni baba babanlaku baba e ti jade wah? Ara lo ma sun pa awon to ni e

Your past comments and antecedent says otherwise Omo ale, your hatred for Yoruba will soon consume you. If you're not a bastard, you won't be claiming Yoruba. Be bold enough to claim your erosion plague region. No wonder Buhari called you 5%. You're totally confused. If your region is as good as una dey claim, you won't be trooping in thousands every day to SW and as for curse, it's you and your family that will share it including your unborn generation.

2 Likes

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Segeshow: 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2021
Myhusband:
God continue to bless Pa Awolowo and Alhaji Jakande, thunder destroy that ojuyobo, people should stop blaming Sanwoolu, ojuyobo will not allowed him to work, fashola achieved much because he doesn't listen to him every time

self centered idiot including that monkey at ota who have the opportunity to bless southern youths as Buhari is doing to his fellow aboki. as a president, he couldn't construct Lagos/Ibadan expressway, ikorodu/Sagamu road but he can give advise

useless Elder statesmen

If this was a video game, like mortal kombat, you would see VICIOUS! in red after this attack!
Then youd hear finish him and do the finishing moves. Flawless victory and fatality.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by descarado: 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2021
All these TV houses should have programmes that generate funds for them that they wil use to run their stations.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by Gfskw: 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2021
Good
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by mrdan(m): 4:01pm On Aug 29, 2021
naptu2 :
LWT

The Super 7:20 Belt ran from c1988-1993.

Cadbury's Breakfast Television

Tv Africa

African Broadcasting Network (ABN)

Hey naptu, good previews, they brought back memories.

But you did not preview Clapperboard Tv, they tried to bring back LTV and they later became one of our now defuncts early private TV's
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by naptu2: 4:06pm On Aug 29, 2021
mrdan:

Hey naptu, good previews, they brought back memories.

But you did not preview Clapperboard Tv, they tried to bring back LTV and they later became one of our now defuncts early private TV's

naptu2:
Oh, yeah! This was on my mind while I was exercising this morning.

Before establishment

The Nigerian Broadcasting Commission was established in 1993 by the Babangida Administration and private radio and TV stations began broadcasting in 1994/1995.

However, there are some popular TV companies that existed long before they were granted TV licenses and long before they started transmitting as independent TV stations. This post is about those companies.

Nigeria qualified for the first ever FIFA Under 16 World Championship, which was held in China in 1985 and Degue Broadcasting Network got the rights to broadcast the tournament. At that time the only stations that existed in Nigeria were the NTA and the various state TV stations.

What sports marketing companies usually did was to buy the rights to tournaments, seek for sponsors that would pay for advertisements and then collaborate with the NTA to show the tournaments on the NTA Network Service. This way the company would make its money, NTA would get the chance to deliver a public service and also make money and the advertisers would get exposure. Viewers would also get the chance to see first class sporting action and to support their teams and everybody would be happy.

It was because of that tournament (China '85) that I knew that the company was called DBN. The sign in front of their office at Awolowo Road in Ikoyi read "Degue" at that time.

They also promoted other tournaments after China '85, but I really can't remember the exact tournaments (was it Mexico '86?).

Anyway, DBN began broadcasting as an independent TV station in 1994 or '95 and they became popular for their sports shows and especially for their coverage of Atlanta '96 (Deji Omotoyinbo and Kessington Ajufo). The station was owned by Osa Sunny Adun.

Remember that I posted a video of Yellowman performing at Reggae Sunsplash? Well Reggae Sunsplash was very popular in Nigeria because it was shown on the NTA in the early and mid-1980s and the concert inspired the creation of a similar concert in Lagos. It was known as Lekki Sunsplash and it was held at the Lekki Beach.

Lekki Beach was quite popular in the mid-1980s because it was a new beach and people felt that the crowd would not be too much and that the beach would be cleaner than the Bar Beach. Besides, the Bar Beach had begun eroding in the mid-1980s and people just wanted to see the new beach that everybody was talking about.

The creation of Lekki Sunsplash coincided with the growth of Reggae in Nigeria. Many new reggae artistes were appearing on the scene at that time and their songs were very popular. These artistes included Ras Kimono, Majek Fashek, The Mandators, Evi Edna Ogholi, Oritz Wiliki, Kris Hanen, etc. and they all performed at Lekki Sunsplah. However, the concert was not just about reggae music and in fact all the major artistes of the late 1980s and early 1990s performed at Reggae Sunsplash. These included Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, Blackky, Alex O, Feladey, Edmund Spice and Danny Wilson.

The promoter of Lekki Sunsplash was Toyin Munis. He held the shows in conjunction with the Lagos State Government (who owned Lekki Beach). I remember that, on one occasion, either Prime People or Vintage People reported that he parked his SUV by a bush path in order to stop people from getting into Lekki Beach via those bush paths (you had to pay before you could get into the beach).

To show you how crazy people were about Lekki Sunsplash I need to make you understand that there was no regular bus service through that area in 1986. There were buses that took people from CMS or Obalende just because of the concert, but getting back was a big problem. Many people walked from Lekki Beach to Sandfill in order to get home, while some walked all the way to Falomo.

In 1991 Toyin Munis began a TV service. He bought time on LTV 8 and showed a wide range of interesting programmes. These programs were usually shown on Saturday mornings and at around 4-6pm on weekdays. The name of the TV service was Clapperboard.

They had Clapperboard Raps on Saturday mornings at around 10am. If I remember correctly, it was produced by Obi Asika. It was basically a Nigerian version of Yo! MTV Raps. They showed some foreign and Nigerian raps songs and then they had a segment for Jimmy's Jump Off. DJ Jimmy Jatt usually played songs in this segment, but he also often showcased new and unknown rap artistes who would be allowed to rap over a beat that Jimmy had chosen. I was shocked when I saw someone that I know on the show in 1991. He was an extremely muscular guy and he appeared as a hypeman (or should I say backup dancer, because he didn't really say much, he was just throwing his hands around) to one of the rappers.

Do you know that 2Face Idibia made his first TV appearance on Jimmy's Jump Off on Clapperboard Raps?

Anyway, the Clapperboard time slot on LTV 8 was shown in 1991, 1992, but then it vanished in 1993. Clapperboard later appeared as an independent TV station in 1994. It was the first private TV station in Lagos and it was on UHF 45.

John Momoh was a popular newscaster on the NTA in the 1980s. He usually read the 9 o'clock news. A separate show was created for him sometime around 1989 and it was called "Tonight At 9". It was shown at 9pm on Mondays.

Mr Momoh left the NTA sometime around 1992 and everybody wondered where he went. It was later reported that he had created his own TV production company. The very first programme that was produced by that company (called Channels Television) was an interview of President Ibrahim Babangida on the grounds of the Aso Rock Villa in 1993. John Momoh personally interviewed the president. It was kind of unusual to see an interview of the president outside the usual network news interviews.

Channels Television began broadcasting as an independent TV station in 1995.

naptu2:

The man's name is Sir David Jason. Two of his sitcoms were shown in Nigeria, but the one I was looking for is A Sharp Intake Of Breath (Lagos Television c1981-c1995).

He is also the voice of Danger Mouse (NTA2 Channel 5 c1986-1999) and Count Duckula (Clapperboard TV mid 1990s).

naptu2:
The Golden Age Of Hip Hop (1988-1998)

This was the era in which hip hop became main stream. The major awards shows (Grammys, American Music Awards, Soul Train, etc) who had previously placed hip hop music in the R&B or pop category, finally created a separate category for rap/hip hop music. TV stations created shows that focused on or heavily featured rap songs. For example, Olisa Adibua hosted Top Of The Pops on NTA2 Channel 5 between 1988-1990, MTV created Yo! MTV Raps in 1988 and a new showed called Clapperboard Raps appeared on Lagos Television c1991 (Clapperboard would become the first private TV station in Lagos in 1994).

A new radio station appeared on the airwaves in Lagos in 1990. It was called OGBC 2 FM. It attracted listeners with its newspaper reviews, Bournvita/Brilla Sports Special and of course, the fact that it filled the airwaves with the latest hip hop and R&B songs (at a time when RN2 was still playing old songs from the early 1980s and still had a lot of talk shows).

Many of the best raps before and up to this era, were performed by guest rappers on R&B or pop songs (a few of such songs will be in this playlist), but this era changed all that. There were now more strictly hip hop songs and there was even a reversal of roles, with singers guest starring on hip hop songs (singing the choruses).
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by mrdan(m): 4:28pm On Aug 29, 2021
Good one Naptu2, much thanks for this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by naptu2: 4:37pm On Aug 29, 2021
mrdan:
Good one Naptu2, much thanks for this.

My pleasure.
Re: Sanwo-Olu Approves Multimillion Naira Upgrade Of Lagos Television by COMPAQ(m): 5:54pm On Aug 29, 2021
naptu2:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4482491498438748&id=492378324116772

Is it the building that makes the station? No news about modern digital equipment. People who do YouTube videos have sharper quality than Nigerian local tv. So it tells me one doesn’t need a whole lot for a modern tv station. With a high powered computer and video editing software and graphics, I can almost run a tv station from a flat.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NLC Suspends Protest Because Of Threats, Intimidation — Ajaero / Children Rendered Homeless By Killings In Plateau Flood Idps(pics) / ARDI Petitioned The CCB About Onnoghen Not FG - The Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.