Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

How Does Facebook, Whatapp, Instagram Etc - The Internet Work? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Does Facebook, Whatapp, Instagram Etc - The Internet Work? (272 Views)

Has Any Nigerian Developed App Like Whatapp, Facebook & Instagram / "How Does The Internet Work?" A Quick Guide To Computer Networking For The User / What'sapp Group For Inverter, Embedded System, Software Programming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Does Facebook, Whatapp, Instagram Etc - The Internet Work? by mauriceju2(m): 9:22pm On Aug 29, 2021
How does FaceBook, WhatApp, Instagram etc - The internet work?
When you chat with somebody or send them and e-mail -
Do you ever stop to think - how does this thing work
When you chat with somebody on the Net or send an e-mail, there is a computer with you and another one at the other end - do you know that ln between these two computers there are probably millions or billions of computers making the communication possible.
I want to explain to you how FaceBook, WhatApp, Instagram - The internet work?
All the technologies we are using in daily bases are inspire by God (nature)
How Websites technology Work is a good example - amazing technology.
Every Technology you see in this world are mirrors of God work, if you know or understand how many technology work you will respect God, you will give thank to God
Let me explain to you how the Facebook you are browsing now work in a simple way.
I want you to relax and forget about what you know or think you know, I assume you know all I have to talk about; I just want to make sure your assumption is right, Ok
So back to the topic, what's the web? How does it work? There is nothing too technical in this. Computers, and generally all man's inventions – all the technology you see in this world only mirror the world in which we live in, in the other word they are all inspire by God- all from God, so thank God first for giving us the internet.
It all begins with a device called a Computer. I assume you've used a calculator at some point in your life. Let's say you have to perform an addition on two numbers.
200 + 300 = 500
You press the buttons on the calculator to input the figures, and then press the answer button to get the result.
When you press the buttons on the calculator, the calculator has to perform the following processes to return a result to you.
a. accept your input.
b. process it.
c. return a result.
These are the functions of a computer. It's an electronic device that accepts input(data), processes it, and returns a result. Easy.
Computers you are probably more familiar with range from desktops, laptops, mobiles phones etc..
Let say you have two computers in your house, Let's call the one in the seating room a client (request information) and the one in your bed room a server (serves information). The Client represents your laptop, phone or any device you use to view or browse a website. A program on your device called a browser is used to access the website. Your browser might be Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera Mini, or Internet Explorer etc.
Let me break this down a bit in a local man language. Hunger don wire you and you dey find food wey you go chop. You quickly rush into a restaurant, and Edikang ikong (vegetable soup) is serve to you, you are satisfied,.
Like we did for the calculator, let's go through the process from hunger to satisfaction.
You walk into the restaurant and approach Ekaete - the small girl lazily swinging her legs and chewing gum behind the counter. You place your order and take a seat. This is you, the client.
You are a client because you have a request. In the same way, your browser makes a request for a webpage.
You do not need to go into the kitchen and prepare the food yourself. You do not even need to know if they have a kitchen. All you do is place an order (and hope food will be serve to you).
So your device is a client that makes a request using a web browser.
Unlike the girl at the counter who is physically present in front of you, the browser needs to send a request to another computer several miles away. That request has to make its way to the right computer. If you want Mr Biggs to send you meatpie, the request should not end up in another restaurant.
This is made possible through the Internet.
What is the Internet?
Now imagine you have to travel from Onitsha to Calabar. There are many roads by which you can embark on this journey. Some of the roads will have more traffic than others. But every car, hopefully, will leaves it origin and arrive at its destination safely.
In digital terms, we call the road network the internet. It enables you to send messages between two points, from source(your device) to destination ( server).You can connect two computers together in such a way that they will be able to communicate with each other.
NOTE: TO avoid being too technical, i have oversimplified everything. My intention is to ensure you understand the concept of what goes on behind the scenes, you don’t need to know or understand every technicality.
The Internet is the connection of all connections. It's a digital highway enabling billions of devices to communicate with each other.
On this digital highway, every device has something called an IP address. This IP address is similar to your home address. It identifies the location of each device on the highway, just like your address describes and identifies where you reside.
When you enter the address (www.Facebook.com), you send out one small Akpan on the highway. That's your message. Akpan takes address (www.facebook.com,) and gets on the road. This is the address of the website you want to access.
Akpan gets to a junction. In IT term, we call this junction a router. They are a network device. You've probably seen one before. It's usually what you connect to when you login to a WIFI network. It's like traffic light or Immigration. They control traffic on the digital highway ensuring that millions and billions of Akpans head in the right direction.
Routers link different computer networks. If the website you want to access is hosted in another country, they'll be there to guide little Akpan along the way.
So from router, to router, to router Akpan goes, until he gets to the router closest to the computer where Facebook lives.
Now, let's come back to reality.
The second computer in the bed room is called a Server. Don't Let the name scare you, it's nothing serious.
A server's purpose is to accept requests and respond to them. Like that girl at the counter in our imaginary restaurant.
It's a computer just like yours, but it has more power, more strength, it's a Goliath and you are its David. Its strength comes from the fact that it would probably have more hard disk, ram and processing power than your phone will ever need. Think about it, who has more stock of food right now? You or Mr Biggs?
The server is the computer on which the website is hosted. This is where your site lives.
Just briefly, let's describe what a website is. When you work on Microsoft Documents, you save them as document files. They'll probably have a .doc or .docx extension at the end of the filename. Different programs have different file types. You need video players (Windows Media, VLC) to play videos. You need music players to play music. In the same way, documents opened by browsers are called HTML files.
A web developer writes the code for a website, stores them in files called HTML files and copies them onto the server. REMEMBER, the server is just a computer like yours. So when Akpan gets to the door to deliver the message, the server opens the door, gets the request from Akpan, looks at the address, and goes to find the WebPages. Usually, when you access a website, the first page you get is the homepage. This is the page the server will return to your phone or computer.
And Akpan, returns home with a smile on his face, and delivers the webpage to your device. Facebook, Gmail, etc whatever, all inside his tiny little bag..
Extra info for web developers
Following the analogy on Akpan, it's crucial to note the following.
The client doesn't need to know what the server does or how it gets the webpage. All Akpan requires is a html file is returned to it.
Now, remember as I said earlier, the server is like your computer. It runs an operating system just like your laptop runs Windows and phone runs Android or IOS (Apple).
From a web developer's perspective, to design a website you should be versatile in the following languages.
HTML : Determines the content of your web pages(.html files you save)
CSS: Determines how the content will look, its presentation ( .CSS files)
Javascript: Adds interactivity to your website. ( .JS files)
PHP/Mysql: Server side programs (explained further on)
Every web browser comes with HTML, CSS, and Javascript installed. So they're able to interpret the files without any help from the server.
Server side programs are installed on the server ( remember just a computer). Apache is a WEB server. It's simply an application that runs on a server and handles those requests you make. PHP is a web language that runs on servers. It makes your pages dynamic (i.e the page you get is based on your input and feedback, think newsfeed on facebook).
If you want to know more - Acquire all my I.T Courses free - for both beginners and advance level - with a little amount of money here https://paystack.com/pay/huz8iplewq

(1) (Reply)

Do You Wish To Learn Programming / Software Development (desktop, Mobile And Web / Are You In Need Of A Website Of Any Kind? / App Development Company In Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.